Tapado

OP
S

Stick Dummy

Dave Fulton????:D

Welcome Aboard Compadre!

FWIW - Dave frequently beats me with sticks, and yet SOMEHOW still manages to keep his patience and not pul out his hair while trying to teach me IMA/FMA techniques.

Y'All just keep that darn Tapado stick away from me till my paw mends........... :asian:

OP
D

Dave Fulton

Hello again John,

Please let me know if it would be possible to get a copy of the Luneta Park, tapado footage. I have found little so far on Tapado and I'd love to see some demonstrations from other sources.

I use bouncing to generate power for thrusts, however, I haven't had success doing it with one hand. Up until now, I haven't attempted to incorporate much live hand into my Tapado either. I'm looking forward to experimenting with it though.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the welcome to the board. And thanks for telling me about the board ... otherwise, I would have had to stumble across it by myself! :rolleyes: :p As my way of saying thanks, how would you like to be by "lab partner" this Saturday, so I can validate some strategies & tactics for the Tapado? ;) I promise I'll be very patient with youj! :D

Seriously, though ... how is your hand and will you be there Saturday?

Take care everyone.

Dave Fulton

Full Contact Martial Arts Association

OP
S

Stick Dummy

Dave,

Yeah riiight - Tapado - Sure - Just like a lamb being led to the slaughter.............

I should be there Saturday, that Vetraps great stuff, and it comes in our favorite "designer" colors like Black & Blue.

Hafta be some of that warm & fuzzy feel good type training for a couple more weeks.

Jone'sing for the aroma of burning rattan in By-Gawd

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dave Fulton

Hello again John,

Please let me know if it would be possible to get a copy of the Luneta Park, tapado footage. I have found little so far on Tapado and I'd love to see some demonstrations from other sources.

I use bouncing to generate power for thrusts, however, I haven't had success doing it with one hand. Up until now, I haven't attempted to incorporate much live hand into my Tapado either. I'm looking forward to experimenting with it though.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the welcome to the board. And thanks for telling me about the board ... otherwise, I would have had to stumble across it by myself! :rolleyes: :p As my way of saying thanks, how would you like to be by "lab partner" this Saturday, so I can validate some strategies & tactics for the Tapado? ;) I promise I'll be very patient with youj! :D

Seriously, though ... how is your hand and will you be there Saturday?

Take care everyone.

Dave Fulton

My friend Dave and I recently went to the park and walked through some tapado/ananangkil scenarios. I should add that we use the ananangkil primarily as a training weapon to learn to generate power from the legs and waist - this is invaluable since the body mechanics can be translated back to the stick. I have a very short, very rough cut (i.e., vcr to vcr edited) tape of one of our two-man drills, as well as the implications of how this might translate into single stick and espada y daga training.

This is of course different than developing fighting applications for the ananangkil, which I agree would probably have to involve two-hand techniques for the corto range. If you're interested in seeing it, drop me a line at [email protected]

Best,

Steve Lamade

OP
D

Dave Fulton

Steve,

Yes, I'd be interested in seeing it (sending private e-mail). Please let me know if you document any more of San Miguel's Ananangkil system.

Thanks!

Dave Fulton

Full Contact Martial Arts Association.

OP
D

Dave Fulton

I had a chance to experiment with the T/A in sparring yesterday ... and before I forget to mention it ... Pete (a.k.a. Stickdummy) won't be on the boards for a while. He REALLY should have told me about MartialTalk.com. ;) Just kidding!

I had a chance to play with T/A in what we call "Technique Sparring" (i.e. low intensity sparring) yesterday and was able to validate of few of the things that I had been working on. I also invalidated a few of them and also learned one or two new ones.

The exploration continues!

Respectfully,

Dave Fulton

san miguel eskrima

White Belt
Reaction score
Ananangkil is also known as GAHAB in the San Miguel Eskrima System of Nong Momoy Canete as taught by one of his senior disciple. A major difference is the dikit/sikit training methods developed in GAHAB. Power, body mechanics, etc...and a better handling or control of the weapon is taught. I beleive the term TAPADO is mostly used in Negros since it has its origins there.

Sinugdanan ug Kataposan, mabuhay!

Ramon Rubia--- San Miguel Eskrima, USA
San Miguel Eskrima, Cebu,Philippines
Magtutudlo Nong Momoy Canete
Nong Edring Casio
Nong Banoy Borja
Noy Kano Canete
FILMOCAN Eskrima Club

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ramon,

It's great to see that San Miguel Eskrima now has a representative on the West Coast.

We corresponded a while ago after you asked me the source of the statement that there was a connection between Tatang Illustrisimo and the Saavedras. (This was from a flier that I was given which I converted to a "eflier" on one of the forums.) I hope you got my email that stated that, despite a lot of research on my part, I was never able to establish any connection. I've since modified the flier, until I hear otherwise.

Anyhow, it would be interesting to compare the way that ananangkil is used by you and the way that it was taught to me. I also saw one of my first Filipino martial arts teachers, Agapito Gonzales, on Master Casio's website working out with Master Casio with the ananangkil.

Best Wishes,

Steve Lamade

Latest Discussions