Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[yt]QhnyHcBm_ic[/yt]

http://www.youtube.com/user/expertvillage

Watch as a Tang Soo Do expert teaches the modern in-to-out block technique in this free martial arts video.

Expert: Kelly Goodwin
Bio: Kelly Goodwin is the head instructor of South Florida Tang Soo Do and holds the rank of Sam Dan (3rd degree Black) with the World Tang Soo Do Association (WTSDA). Ms.
Filmmaker: Paul Muller

Last edited by a moderator:

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The yelling "no" really made me laugh. I know there are all kinds of arguments for different vocalizations, but I just can't see past the kiai.

Yeah, my niece's kiddie karate class teaches "No" as a kiai also. I guess it's a good idea for children and maybe some women.

I still wouldn't be caught dead teaching it in my school.

bribrius

Green Belt
Reaction score
what would be the reason for going under the chin instead of for the throat? And it appears more a stabbing motion (or weapon). Why not follow through instead with disarmament instead of the strike?

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
what would be the reason for going under the chin instead of for the throat? And it appears more a stabbing motion (or weapon). Why not follow through instead with disarmament instead of the strike?

I think a knock out instead a crushing troat, sometimes a knock out or a stumbling is better than kill people because of a rputure troat.

Manny

OldKarateGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kelly Goodwin is now a 4th Dan, and owns Coastal Canyon Tang Soo Do in San Diego. Kelly is a PhD working with NOAA.

http://coastalcanyontsd.org/

In self-defense classes for persons unfamiliar with martial arts, some alternate verbalization is often substituted for the kiai, since people often are self-conscious about shouting some movie-style karate thing, but will not hesitate when instructed to shout "No!" or "Leave me alone!", something like that.

Most (Many?) new students are reluctant about the kiai, for fear they'll look or sound foolish. Replacing the kiai with a word still allows the focus and surprise of a shout, plus it may attract attention to the person defending herself.

Just a matter of preference I suppose.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most (Many?) new students are reluctant about the kiai, for fear they'll look or sound foolish. Replacing the kiai with a word still allows the focus and surprise of a shout, plus it may attract attention to the person defending herself.

Just a matter of preference I suppose.

A proper kiai should come from your diaphragm. It is an energy issuance tool centered from the hara. Changing it to a shouted word necessarily alters the focus to the throat and mouth along with the resulting physiological implications.

It is not a perfect alternative at all to a proper kiai. Now if there are sound reasons for shouting 'No', I can accept that, so long as the people teaching it know the differences.

Latest Discussions