Taking opponents out quickly

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok, what are some serious points on the body to hit, and what strike would you use? For instance i wanna know what yall's views are, and what strikes you will use to take your enemy out in a very short period of time, like shoulder dislocation, knee smashing, eye gouging.

Laborn

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many things could. Use whatever the agressor presents to you and there will be someway to disable it that could possible take him out of the fight.

G

Gary Crawford

I'll agree with finger in the eye,lots of good targets availible after that,take your pick.. I prefere to go behind and go for a choke after the eye strike.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If they are not too much larger and stronger than you are and clothing and distance permits, a quick, hard vertical fist to the solar-plexus is a quick fight-stopper in many cases - with less legal headaches afterwards as well.

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
If they are not too much larger and stronger than you are and clothing and distance permits, a quick, hard vertical fist to the solar-plexus is a quick fight-stopper in many cases - with less legal headaches as well.

Ouch, I can testify to the effectiveness of this technique first hand unfortunately. We were doing "body punching" and my partner nailed me in the solas plexus. Literally stopped me in my tracks, he could have easily followed up with many knock-out attacks!

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
nothing's sure: you could miss, he could be stoned, he could be tough...

a great first strike is the shin or instep. it hurts and gets his attention. follow up with a power strike to the throat, groin or solar plexus while he's thinking about his leg.

i'd recommend getting fancy with a raking strike or esoteric hand form.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd have to say that my favorite targets (pretty much in order) are the throat/neck region, eyes, knees, and groin. For the throat/neck I like handswords/edge-of-hand strikes. for the eyes I tend to use either a "tiger-claw" or a thumb-gouge (single or double). When striking the knees I like either the side-kick or a Muay-Thai roundhouse kick. For the groin I generally use either a front-kick or knees depending on range.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Laborn said:
Ok, what are some serious points on the body to hit, and what strike would you use? For instance i wanna know what yall's views are, and what strikes you will use to take your enemy out in a very short period of time, like shoulder dislocation, knee smashing, eye gouging.

Laborn

There are so many possibilities, its hard to narrow it down. Knees and eyes, as you mention, are great targets. While they may not be fight stoppers, they could be used to set yourself up for other moves.

IMO, rather than specifically looking for something, we should take advantage of whats presenting itself at the time, using those moves, as I said above, to set up others.

Mike

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One very important factor is using what you are most skilled at along with what opportunity presents itself.
For example: when the going got tough my sparring instructor had a lightning fast sidekick to the ribs that I have seen him use to drop people time after time. Not everyone could pull that off because they just didn't have the timing or snap in the kick as he did.
In my case, setting up with a lead hand and following up with a reverse punch or hook punch worked better for me, although i could pull off the kick sometimes.
The right technique also has to be used at the right time. For example: I have seen beautiful sweeps fail because they were not timed correctly or were used against the wrong person (a much heavier person standing flatfooted and rooted)
Eyes, throat, ribs, groin certainly sound like good targets! :0)

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Webbing of the hand to the throat. Roundhouse to the thigh. Break the fingers. these are some that have already proven themselves, but without the situation being right in front of me I cannot answer in a blanket statement.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
searcher said:
Webbing of the hand to the throat. Roundhouse to the thigh. Break the fingers. these are some that have already proven themselves, but without the situation being right in front of me I cannot answer in a blanket statement.

Awesome!

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm I will go with the good old fashion Groin shot for a dude.

Oh a nice one is if you can get a shot under the arm you can literally knock someone out with a direct hit to the armpit area.

Then again, I think the best target is always the one first presented....

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
If they are not too much larger and stronger than you are and clothing and distance permits, a quick, hard vertical fist to the solar-plexus is a quick fight-stopper in many cases - with less legal headaches afterwards as well.

Punch would be good to the solar plexus.

The key point of legal ramificatiosn afterwrads is a big thing as well to keep in the back of ya mind. Although it is hard when someone is trying to hurt you.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Taking a attacker out quickly? "Yes ",you would want to end the fight as soon as possible and to escape from there!

Besides the eye japs,knees shots,groin hits,chokes,and breaking something?

...You may want to look for weapons to use to increase your odds of success first, things around you? If in a coffee shop or bar..toss liquids into there face? At home a lamp,chair to hit with? on the street look for bricks,stones,rocks,bottles sticks, boards,metal or anything that is available? (for Hawaii- at the beach?-toss sand into there face).

Even MR. Bruce Lee said in a real fight...I going to find something to use as a weapon first,(If available). ...he said I not stupid. Movies are one thing...real fights is another!

The other attacker will most likely do the same too? .....NO such thing as a FAIR FIGHT? .....it is better the other person goes home hurting....OW! .......Aloha

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not to dampen the mood here but; the title said opponent which suggest to me sparring. I personally like hitting them in the arm and making them drop their guard. I will then hit them in the lung meridian to knock their breath out of them.

Now if we are truly talking enemy out on the streets. I would bring my guard up into 12 points of consideration and then attack the attack what he does is of no consideration to me. I will invade him and dominate his outer rim and engage the mass and protect my life and or my family's life.

V/R

Rick

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Laborn said:

Laborn

What are some of the serious points on the body to hit and what strike would you use? in a bar I grab a bottle and shove it into his eyes, or hit him on his head? ...see you can still use something? Do you carry a pen?

Anyway? The best tarket is what is available? But if had to pick one? The "eyes" have IT! (most likely using fingers), most times the hand with the longer fingers? Right? or left? .....UM?

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I don't know about the eyes alone. From what I've seen, attacking them first isn't enough to take someone out quick. They need a follow up to assist in that. I've seen liquids thrown into them, spit spat into them, pokes, rips, etc.. and even with the eyes shut, or blinded the fights continued. I'd think of them as the first of a few steps.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Eyes, nuts, neck. Poke the eyes, punch the neck, then kick the balls. Cant go wrong there. Also be sure to let out a good bruce lee scream during the nut shot for drama lol.

Latest Discussions