How do you enrich the experience?

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Martial arts are full of traditions, stories and practices. How do you “enrich” the experience for your students? One example for me is that I always plan my teaching around a central concept for the week. I then use classic “koans”, a kind of Asian parable, as a bridge to share the story/idea/concept. My teacher always used these stories and I used to write them down after practice, now I use them for my students and to remember what he taught me. Now your thoughts……

ron

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I often have a theme for the class or for the week. I try and lead the students to make connections for themsleves rather than have to tell them directly. I try and relate to stories from my own experiences or pass on stories that my instructors have told me to help the students to relate better to what they are being taught. A humerous story also helps make the learning process all the better.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MSUTKD said:
Martial arts are full of traditions, stories and practices. How do you “enrich” the experience for your students? One example for me is that I always plan my teaching around a central concept for the week. I then use classic “koans”, a kind of Asian parable, as a bridge to share the story/idea/concept. My teacher always used these stories and I used to write them down after practice, now I use them for my students and to remember what he taught me. Now your thoughts……

ron

Could you give an example, sir? I'd love to hear how you use them in your class.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, I agree sharing stories of our martial arts are one of the best ways to enrich everyone experience.

Lots of our stories comes from reading books,magazine articles,newpapers,tv,videos,hearsay, and personal ones.

People will remember things more if they can relate to the story. Like a fable ones...the turtle and hare?

Sharing the history is very important! Every one of our students is giving a booklet that has a history,names and so on etc. when they join. We also have a wed site that has the same info. (Universal kempo-karate schools.)

The picture you will see is our Professor standing in the grass. I was there that day testing for my Black belt when that picture was taken. (a couple of miles hike up Pearl City, above Pearl Harbor, hillside. We tested up the mountain in some grass area. We had to carry our own bricks to break,water, and equitment.

Check out our History and Professor...........Aloha

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
we use a 'skill of the week', rotating between physical (balance, stances), mental (focus, discipline) and conceptual (trapping, range) aspects. instructors tie as many activities in class to the skill.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I don't teach, But, I remember my best experiences were when the senior students would share the knowledge during the class. It's when things were more like a seminar, or study group, instead of a workout.

Latest Discussions