Taijiquan Training Question

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
what is the difference btwn 'brush knee push' and 'embrace the tiger' The student teaching did not know and does his exactly the same although cmc positions the lower hand palm up/ sideways

respectfully,
Marlon

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
marlon,

The applications are basically the same. The difference is in Brush and Push your opponent is attacking from the front, whilst in Embrace the Tiger, the opponent is attacking you from behind. The other differnce is of course, after Brush and Push you move into Strum the Lute, whereas after Embrace the Tiger you transition into Grasp the Birds Tail.

Hope this helps

Very best wishes

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
marlon,

The applications are basically the same. The difference is in Brush and Push your opponent is attacking from the front, whilst in Embrace the Tiger, the opponent is attacking you from behind. The other differnce is of course, after Brush and Push you move into Strum the Lute, whereas after Embrace the Tiger you transition into Grasp the Birds Tail.

Hope this helps

Very best wishes

thank you. To be clear you are saying the postures themselves are exactly the same but the application is different and the sequence after is different. The names are very different and i thought the posture would be different. single whip and diagonal single whip the same posture done in different directions...so i thought this must be something different

respectfully,
marlon

respectfully,
marlon

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
marlon,

No. The application is the same in that you are blocking and diverting a punch whilst returning a strike with the opposite hand. You need to always distinguish between posture and application. They may not be the same.:erg: There can be several different applications for the same posture. For instance in Strum the Lute you can dislocate the opponents right shoulder by locking his elbow with your left hand on the outside of his arm, or you can break his arm or even throw him by locking his arm with your left hand inside his elbow.

Hope this is not confusing
icon7.gif

Very best wishes

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i see many elbow strikes in chen but where are they in yang taiji?

Respectfully,
marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ok so there are 2 elbow strikes in block parry punch?!! i can see an elbow before the 'block' which coould also be a dropping backfist but...i guess i need to learn to see better.

marlon

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Get the form first and don't worry about it.

Work on the 13 postures and you will see Zhou and how it works and to be honest it is a more powerful stike than what you get from Block, Perry, Punch.

Look at your elbow positions in the posture and know that in applicatoin things don't always look or work exactly the same.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
is the yang long form supposed to end in the same place it started? I am ending way to the left of where i began, perhaps i need to modify my stepping?

are there any downward pressing motion in grasp the sparoows tail?

Respectfully,
Marlon

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
marlon,

No, the form should end as you are finding it, i.e. not at the starting point.

As you will know, Grasp the Sparrow's Tail is a series of arm locks. During the transition from Roll Back to Press there is a downward pressure before applying the actual press. Other than that of course, there is downward pressure from one had in order to apply the arm locks.

Very best wishes

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
thanks. I have been going crazy trying to work it out. i use Master Fu's youtude video as my model and he seems to fininh at the same point, but of course youtube can be misleading.

marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
does anyone know of any good yang long form vids on the net (youtube or otherwise) of a relatively young person performing? Master Fu's (sr) video is great but i would like to see the kicks better.

Respectfully,
marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
does Yang taiji have applications mainly against pushes and grabs? Someone was showing me applications and none of them dealt with a punch to the head straight or hook.

Respectfully,
marlon

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
marlon said:
Is the energy of AN downwards?
yes
marlon said:
does Yang taiji have applications mainly against pushes and grabs? Someone was showing me applications and none of them dealt with a punch to the head straight or hook.
can't speak for yang style specifically (east winds can though), but tai chi applications should apply principles of yielding and adhering while neutralizing and counter-attacking. its easier to stick to a 'hands on' attack an 'go with it', than a 'projectile' attack in flight. it requires more skill to make it work against an punch and still keep to tai chi principles.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score

Respectfully,
marlon

Our sifu (CMC Yang derivative) taught a variety of techniques against punch attacks. Some days it seemed that was all we defended against.

He had an interesting way of teaching.... he'd pick a posture and ask what we thought the defense application was.... I'd guess and would always be wrong, earning me the honor of dummy to illustrate actual move upon ... After several repetitions, then he'd ask again what I had thought, wonder aloud if that might work as well - and demo that in front of the class, on me, several more times. Ouch.

Those of you who have stock in pharmaceutical companies making ibuprofin have me to thank for your dividends.

Latest Discussions