Taijiquan Training Question

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
marlon,

The hand position he uses is called "Tile Palm" (fingers open and palm curved much like a Chinese roof tile - hence the name). It opens two important acu-pressure points on the hands - the Laogong and the Tigers Mouth, important in the transmission of energy. There are only 3 hand positions in Traditional Yang - Tile Palm, Fist and Hook or Beak. Any other hand position is a flaw in your form. I agree with Xue Sheng on the "Stopping without Stopping" issue.

Very best wishes

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My sifu is not that concerned with the hands being in Tile Palm he does like them open and relaxed when not in Fist or Cranes Beak. There is a lot he feels that will develop naturally if you just train the form properly as did his teacher.

However when I was training Chen keeping the hands in Tile palm was very important.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
marlon,

The hand position he uses is called "Tile Palm" (fingers open and palm curved much like a Chinese roof tile - hence the name). It opens two important acu-pressure points on the hands - the Laogong and the Tigers Mouth, important in the transmission of energy. There are only 3 hand positions in Traditional Yang - Tile Palm, Fist and Hook or Beak. Any other hand position is a flaw in your form. I agree with Xue Sheng on the "Stopping without Stopping" issue.

Very best wishes

thanks , i have never thought of the tiger mouth as an point to issue energy! I love learning and am really loving taiji

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
marlon,

Very best wishes

i do not see a "stop" at all, yet someone i know who studies traditional yang often commented that i only do the stopping without stopping when i change direction (actually he said sometimes, it was i who noted that he saw them only when i changeddirections) but he felt that my reading of CMC had made me more 'flow-y' than traditional yang style

marlon