Tai Chi rooting vs takedowns...

Discussion in 'Chinese Internal Arts : Taijiquan (Tai Chi) and Qi' started by TMA17, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

All throwing are circular motion. The opposite forces (push head down, sweep/hook/lift/... leg up) can be considered as circular motion.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Anarax

Anarax Black Belt

Nice illustrations. What book is it? Tai Chi has circular movements, thus if throws/sweeps are circular what's the conceptual violation?

3. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

The book is "Chinese Wrestling" (only in Chinese). It's published by a group of Chinese wrestling instructors in China. It contain 62 categories of throws, a total about 220 different throws.

[​IMG]

In order to cause a circular moment, besides the hand skill, one needs to add in the leg skill such as cut, hook, break, horse back kick, lift, twist, spring, bite, sweep, scoop, sticky lift, ...

IMO, those leg skill training are missing in Taiji.

Here is a leg lift training.

[​IMG]

4. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    They could, in fact. Of course, they would be ignoring the evidence provided by your attempt, which is not a lack of evidence. If you didn’t enter that competition, then we’d have no evidence at all.

5. Shia

Shia White Belt

I didn't read. I'm jumping in and please ignore this if youre not interested.

Here i go:

I know the balance center the core is the seat of desires, everything materialistic, being the lower Dan Tian. Which equals the Indian Muladhara (Root Support) chakra. Then your legs move in front of your upper body, because youre confident. If some would attack you by trying to uproot you, you are physically and mentally equipped and will not nudge for their attempt to sweep your legs or take you down (whats take down). Because you are rooted like a tree, you are also stiff. If pushed from top or dragged down you wont bend, because youre strong, and rooted, but if done with power that push from the upper body you will fall like a trunk.

There comes a price with following your desires.

Peace