taekwondo vs anything

OP
X

xayvong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
but why go to another art when you haven't masterd the other one yet? Blackbelt isn't the end, it's a new begining, plus, were would you find the time to do both if your dedicated to one enough. oh yeah, and if you ever get to the ground get up as fast as you can, trust me, it works well. ( unless he/she has you in an armbar or something.)

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
With all the threads, and bar room talk, about "this vs that," I think most experts agree that there is no inherent advantage attributed to any name applied to any variation of self defense training.

The first question should be, "is each technique you are using effective?" In other words, will the strike cause injury, break bones, or knock someone out? Will the throw take someone to the ground, and will the hold control the attacker, cause pain, and/or injury? This is where you find out if the "Art" or skills of self defense you are learning actually do work.

If the answer is yes, then the second question is, "are you physically fit, and skilled enough to perform the technique properly?" Some people possess the knowledge of what is good self defense, and can even teach it to others, but physical limitations, lack of coordination, or mental focus can prevent them from performing the skills correctly. This is an issue of the individual lacking, and not the art.

The final question is, "do you possess the knowledge, skill, and experience to execute your techniques with a superior strategy, timing, range, and acuracy that will prevail over your opponent?" This again, is not the "Art" but the abilities of the practitioner. You have knowledge, you have power, you have the ability to perform, but are you able to out maneuver your attacker? Speed, conditioning, and power are helpful, but faster, and stronger opponents have lost to smarter fighters.

In Taekwondo, I have been taught to strike with a number of weapons (open hand, closed hand, elbow, knee, foot, head, etc.), at long range and close range (within an inch), standing, sitting, or laying down, with power, precision, and timing. I study and teach a variety of take-downs and throws (leg grappling, foot and leg sweeps, leg reaps, hip throws and flips). In Taekwondo, I have also studied how to grapple on the ground, apply holds, pressure points, gouges, and chokes. In addition, I have trained to counter any of the above moves if they are applied to me.

My Taekwondo training is not "cross-training" and it is not "mixed martial art." It is "complete" Taekwondo because it includes the kicking of Taekyon, the hand and foot self defense of Subak, the coordinated energy and application of Hapkido, the pressure points and joint locks of Hoshinsul, the throws and grappling of Yudo, the breaking power of kyukpa, the fluency of poomsae, and the timing and acuracy of one-steps, and the variety, spontenaety, and conditioning of Jayu Gyorugi. Simply put, Taekwondo should include striking, throwing, and holding in any variation, along with counter-measures.

I am not at a loss if the fight goes to the ground, and I do not believe that any Taekwondoist should be. If someone attempts to grab my leg, tie up in wrestling, or kick at my knees and legs, I have counters that will make them regret their actions. If you desire this balance in your training, but do not yet have it, then I recommend you seek it out. There is nothing that anyone, in any other system of Martial Art education can do that a Taekwondoist can not do, if that Taekwondoist does not limit their training. If I have trained hard, and fight smart, there is no reason I should lose except through my own mistakes (and of course - I don't make mistakes. :rolleyes: )

That's my perspective, and I'm stikin' to it! :ultracool (<< "ultra cool" - lol)
Chief Master Eisenhart

OP
X

xayvong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Right on. my gym is pure taekwondo too ( and some hapikido) I agree with your perspective view on the subject.