Yellow Belt
Reaction score
for a while, I've wanted to know how does taekwondo do against another
martial art so answer back

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TKD in and of itself is nothing but a way of thinking. It is up to the individual practioner to match his skills to any given environment and opponent. In short the style won't fail you, but your application may. Your fitness level may also play a role. Don't ya think?
Sean

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Touch Of Death said:
TKD in and of itself is nothing but a way of thinking. It is up to the individual practioner to match his skills to any given environment and opponent. In short the style won't fail you, but your application may. Your fitness level may also play a role. Don't ya think?
Sean

Funny but true.

How many TKD artists enter open tournaments?
Do u only enter TKD tournaments?
Why?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with TOD, any martial art, Taekwondo included, is only as good as the practitioner. A laser guided rocket is no good if your delivery system is a slingshot.

Miles

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First Welcome and to answer your question it is the fighter not necesary the Art.
Terry

OP
X

xayvong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
First of all, hi, but only half the people on this thread answord my question, but once I did fight against a muay thai fighter, and a karate guy. The guy in karate didn't seem like he knew what he was doing. But the muay thai guy was tough!!!! But we never finished the fight, and it was a complete accident too.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
xayvong said:
First of all, hi, but only half the people on this thread answord my question, but once I did fight against a muay thai fighter, and a karate guy. The guy in karate didn't seem like he knew what he was doing. But the muay thai guy was tough!!!! But we never finished the fight, and it was a complete accident too.

I believe most have answered your question it is not really the style it depends on the fighter, aftre 40+ years I've seen alot of different styleand the best fihgter have won almost all the matches.

If you have another to ask the same question maybe the answers would be different.
Terry

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been thinking about the answer to this question for the last few days. The art does play a role in that you are conditioning yourself to do something that is either sport based or self defense based. This comes from instruction and personal goals. It is worth considering that sport TKD may not be UFC ready.
Sean

Kuk Sa Nim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I agree on principle with most answers as far as it is ultimately the individual that makes the art, and not the other way around, BUT...and that's a big "what if" we're talking about.

The question was TKD vs Anything. This question deserves a more serious evaluation, than it is up to the individual to properly apply the techniques of the art. As I said, in principle, that makes sense, but the other side of the equation is: “What does the art ACTUALLY offer in terms of tools and philosophy”.

Let me start by saying that I have been involved with TKD since 1972. I have competed in open tournaments, TKD tournaments, full contact fighting, military combat, and more than my share of street fights. I don't mean to ruffle any feathers here, but as a general rule of thumb, traditional, and modern "sport" TKD only offers certain high level tools. Yes, even old school.

As for philosophy, it is supposed to be a very balanced style, (based on the Umm/Yang concept) when in reality, it is much more of a hard, linear style, with a focus on kicking techniques. Don’t get me wrong, I love my kicks, and have been very successful applying them against all comers, ranging from boxers, wrestlers, karate, kung fu, judo/jujitsu and a whole lot more. But, as noted earlier, I believe at the end of the day, I was successful, not because the tools that TKD gave, but more on my ability to adapt a variety of other tools into my fighting repertoire. Hence making my kicks work better.

Let's examine for a second the main tools that TKD generally offers:

Footwork - Very high level
Conditioning - High level (depending on the school)
Kicking - VERY high level skills
Low kicking - Only in some schools, but usually discouraged, and considered illegal
Classic MA Hand techniques - Adequate
Boxing type Hand techniques - Sorely lacking
Trapping - Almost nil
Joint locks - not really, unless HKD is incorporated
Take downs and throws - basic skills, not very sophisticated
Ground fighting - not really, unless HKD is incorporated, and then that is still lacking sophistication
Weapons - Not really, unless HKD (or another art that uses weapons) is incorporated. Usually some staff, sword or cane. Sometimes you'll find knife and/or middle sticks
Sparring - LOTS of stand up, long range sparring, but seriously lacking closer combat.

There becomes a deficit as the range changes from a longer range (kicking range) to closer ranges.

I’m sure there are many more tools involved, but these are the main ones that just jump out in relation to fighting skills.

So, it does fall on the individual to interpret the philosophy or the art and apply it's tools, but if the situation requires tools that are not normally part of the training, and certainly a more sophisticated level, the student is left to "figure it out", which may not always be successful. Not very wise for life and death self defense. The difference between theory and reality could mean life and death.

Again, I hope I didn't step on anyone's toes. I'm just expressing my views, based on my personal experiences.

With brotherhood,
Grand Master De Alba

If you would like to view some video clips pitting TKD vs other arts, check out:

TKD vs MMA
http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/511/cat/523

TKD vs Kyokushinkai
http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/880/cat/523/limit/recent

Shaolin vs TKD
http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/791/cat/523

Muay Thai vs TKD
http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/512/cat/523

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
How many TKD artists enter open tournaments?
I've seen many.

Do u only enter TKD tournaments?
My first martial arts instructor had us enter in as many tournaments as we could.
Tournaments are a test of skill. Getting involved in as many as you can will only help to improve your abilities. If you start while being a white belt and continue on through black you will gain insight in your training, weak areas, strengths, plus you find that your not as good as you think you are.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Footwork - Very high level
Conditioning - High level (depending on the school)
Kicking - VERY high level skills
Low kicking - Only in some schools, but usually discouraged, and considered illegal
Classic MA Hand techniques - Adequate
Boxing type Hand techniques - Sorely lacking
Trapping - Almost nil
Joint locks - not really, unless HKD is incorporated
Take downs and throws - basic skills, not very sophisticated
Ground fighting - not really, unless HKD is incorporated, and then that is still lacking sophistication
Weapons - Not really, unless HKD (or another art that uses weapons) is incorporated. Usually some staff, sword or cane. Sometimes you'll find knife and/or middle sticks
Sparring - LOTS of stand up, long range sparring, but seriously lacking closer combat.

What is the difference between "classic" MA hand techniques and boxing type hand techniques? Outside the chambering of strikes to practice the mechanics I mean

Also, your video links didn't work for me. Besides that, no offense meant, I wouldn't use Bullshido.net as a source of information. While I do like, and tend to agree with, their philosophy to the martial arts, their site is heavily biased and closed-minded.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We do all type of tournaments from Olympic to point to continues point sparring. You have to be well rounded now adays.
terry

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you adapt a closed quarter fighting into it, it can be very effective. Ultimately, it is the individual and not the style. Just about any style can be taught in atleast two ways, self defense or tourney or a combination of both. If you are strictly tourney no matter what style chances are you are lacking in self defense. I have seen some really good TKD practitioners in my time, but they were taught the style primarily for self defense. They are very smart and talented fighters and can hold their own with just about anyone.

Kuk Sa Nim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Shu2jack said:

What is the difference between "classic" MA hand techniques and boxing type hand techniques? Outside the chambering of strikes to practice the mechanics I mean

Also, your video links didn't work for me. Besides that, no offense meant, I wouldn't use Bullshido.net as a source of information. While I do like, and tend to agree with, their philosophy to the martial arts, their site is heavily biased and closed-minded.

OK, I think I can see where you are going. Boxing techniques are very similar to classical MA hand techniques (IE: Reverse Punch, Back Fist, and even Ridge Hand and Knife Hand strikes). But other classical MA hand movements such as open hand/ripping/tearing techniques (Tiger Claw, Spear Hand and Finger Jabs, etc) are obviously different and not generally part of Boxing. On the flip side, if you're thinking that Boxing is only about a Jab, Cross, Hook and Uppercut, that's not it at all. The whole spectrum of Boxing such as the footwork, slipping, parrying, bobbing and weaving, etc. are not a part of classical MA hand tech. Those are done in MA combinations are usually from a wider type stance, whereas, Boxing moves in very different fashion. Hands up, elbows in are demanded to protect the face and ribs, which is really not the case w/ TKD matches, where the hands are down, to block kicks, and “the face is not to be punched”.

This is very apparent to someone who has really boxed. Just as the fluidity and degree of power and contact of TKD kicks really surprises many non-martial artists (I won't call them boxers, or even streetfighters, just non-martial artists). The same can be said for the unique fluidity, power and level of contact that boxing has in contrast to classical MA moves. They are very different. Now can people adapt and marry both worlds? Yes they can, and yes they have. The difference as was noted in the original answer is the level of sophistication.

For example, there is no questioning the power of a reverse punch. This can be measured with the breaking of boards or bricks. A proper right cross is something to be respected, and is certainly capable of breaking bricks and boards. But as one famous martial artist once said: "Boards don't hit back".

One can also compare the average TKD person's reverse punch with say a Kyokushinkai person, and you'll see the difference in the level of sophistication. If you have ever sparred a good Kyokushinkai person, you (and your ribs) know exactly what I'm talking about. They just take the move to another lever where it is a bread and butter move. The same can be said with the way a good TKD person would apply their bread and butter move such as a round house. Pitted against other stylist that don't really use it, and it's night and day. You blink and you'll get kicked seven times by the TKD guy. This is why I was trying outline the strengths and shortcomings of the tools involved. That's all.

Sorry for the problem with the links and using bullshido. That was simply one site that had a lot of clips in one place. Nothing to do with the site's philosophy, just the strength of what the clips presented. Obviously, they are not definitive examples of TKD vs anything, but it is a very interesting glimpse. Maybe trying a different browser will allow you to see the clips, or truthfully, they are on several other sites, just not all in one convenient place.

FWIW, the TKD guys are handled (IE: KO’ed) by the MMA guy and the first Kyokushinkai guy, but resort to different tactics (not classical TKD, and no real kicking) with the second fighter. As for the others, the TKD vs Shaolin is a fun clip with the TKD person dazzling the opponent (in Shaolin looking uniform) with a barrage of kicking combos, only to be responded in kind by the Kung Fu person. And to cap it all off, the TKD person KO's the Muay Thai fighter in a full contact fight with gloves and in a ring. BUT, he does it with a spinning backfist. I found them all to be interesting, if nothing else.

With brotherhood,
Grand Master De Alba

OP
X

xayvong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hey, in case some of you don't know the people are thinking of taking taekwondo off the olympics because of lack of interest in people. And now the karate assosiation is saying that karate should be an olympic event. the olympic assosiation is considering the loss, and unfortunetly, aren't considering it a big loss. But there still taking the opinion of the taekwondo wtf assosiation.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kuk Sa Nim said:
So, it does fall on the individual to interpret the philosophy or the art and apply it's tools, but if the situation requires tools that are not normally part of the training, and certainly a more sophisticated level, the student is left to "figure it out", which may not always be successful. Not very wise for life and death self defense.

I wasn't aware ring sports were typical of life or death situations. Meaning, that vs a gun someone trained to throw elbow strikes, low line kicks, wave a sword around, or throw jabs probably isn't going to fare any better in such a situation. Against a guy on the highway who cuts in front of you and slams on his brakes to teach you a lesson over some perceived slight, hand to hand training's not going to help you either.

It's more important IMO to be aware of just what your training's getting you, and training to meet those goals. Life and death situations tends to imply a need for situational awareness and skillsets most directly relevant to the life or death situations you're likely to encounter.

Personally, I rate how I'd fare in a sparring match vs a Shaolin Monk very low on the life or death scale.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If it goes down to the ground, in general we Taekwondoists are definately at a disadvantage. Why? We're a stand up fighting style. That's why it's good to cross-train. BJJ is a good art when it goes down to the ground, IMHO.

There's really no one art that's the best of the best, each has its benefits and disadvantages.