Taekwondo Doesn't work on someone skilled

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was an ammo troop on an f16 airbase in Germany. I know them well. The f4 we used in Vietnam was not very maneuverable, either. The A10 came out of that very need you're describing. Highly maneuverable and capable of firing 30mm rounds.
I installed the weapons scoring system for the bombing range in Boardman Oregon. I worked as close as 1,000 feet from the target. The F-16 by the time I heard them I would have been dead rolling up gravel on the ground as they flew past. I had to fight to change the engineering on foundations due to the amount of torque on the towers as they flew over. Jets came from bases as well as oh shore carriers. I was really impressed with the A-10 in weather coming down through cloud cover iced up and snapping a roll and going right back a lot of power. The flight pattern had not changed so after the drop they would hard turn towards the tower I was working on. Sure they got a laugh seeing me run at times

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Because they have guns and so don't really need to fight anybody.

Sorry but its in the army is not really a good argument.
Really? So you simply dismiss out of hand any and all hand-to-hand combat training of any kind taught in any branch of the military?
That's nice to know.

They all have guns, yes. What happens when the guns run out of bullets or break?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Really? So you simply dismiss out of hand any and all hand-to-hand combat training of any kind taught in any branch of the military?
That's nice to know.

Dramatic posturing aside... yes. Hand to hand combat as taught in the military is extremely superficial and perfunctory.
The rank of black belt in the Marine Corps combatives program requires less than 200 hours of training. If I said we awarded a black belt in our school to someone with 200 hours of training, the screams of "McDojang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" would echo from the hills (for the record, the average time to 1st Dan in our school is 6-8 years).
That doesn't mean it's not worthwhile training. But it's far from being a major factor in their training.

They all have guns, yes. What happens when the guns run out of bullets or break?

Umm.... they fall back to the rear and disengage? They say "Hey... throw me a mag?" They cover and wait? They clear the jammed gun and go back to shooting?

I'm going to guess "They throw down their useless firearm and charge the enemy bare handed" is far from a common response.

I'm guessing you're not a shooter. I personally fire 200-300 rounds per week. Sue shoots 100-200. We do skip weeks (like when we're out of the country...) so we probably shoot about 15,000 rounds per year. Yes, a gun will occasionally jam - which takes a couple seconds to clear - but they don't break. The closest to broken I've ever seen was a failure to eject a shell that expanded excessively. Took about 30 seconds to remove the casing and confirm that there was no damage to the gun, drop the slide, and continue.
An actually broken gun is a phenomenally unlikely occurrence.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dirty Dog covered most of it, but I will clarify something that I suspect drop bear meant (and that I agree with if so). Just because a certain course of hand-to-hand combat is taught in the military doesn't mean that it's bad or useless. It just doesn't necessarily mean that it's especially amazing or deadly either. Unarmed combat isn't a primary skill set for a modern soldier. It's not even a secondary skillset. It's maybe a tertiary skillset., intended as much for developing fighting spirit as for those worst case scenarios where a soldier has to fight unarmed on the battlefield.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's nice to know.

you do understand there is a lot of guns in the military?

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Remember, too, that your average modern soldier is not out fighting on a battlefield with al Qaeda dudes anyway. Something like 3/4 of the US Army are in support MOSes and will spend their time fixing tanks, taking inventory, answering phones, doing IT, giving people shots, etc. They don't need to be amazingly deadly with their bare hands.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember, too, that your average modern soldier is not out fighting on a battlefield with al Qaeda dudes anyway. Something like 3/4 of the US Army are in support MOSes and will spend their time fixing tanks, taking inventory, answering phones, doing IT, giving people shots, etc. They don't need to be amazingly deadly with their bare hands.

All our soldiers receive the same training whether it's weapons, bayonets ( yes we still do that) etc. It doesn't matter what their trade is they are soldiers first and foremost. There's few of ours that are not out on the ground. All are combat troops.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So the airborne troops and infantry soldiers all also cook, work in the motor pool, give shots, load munitions, and work as civil engineers and do everything else? Seems like a horribly inefficient way to run an army to train all the soldiers the same.
All our soldiers receive the same training whether it's weapons, bayonets ( yes we still do that) etc. It doesn't matter what their trade is they are soldiers first and foremost. There's few of ours that are not out on the ground. All are combat troops.
troo

Tiger84

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

No resistance = no real technique. It's that simple.
"Martial" means having to do with or suitable for war.
And "art" means skill at doing a specified thing, typically one acquired through practice. If you aren't learning something suitable for combat through repetition, you are learning how to dance and punch the air. Not apply techniques in a life or death situation. The community needs to be aware that pure taekwondo schools in our world today will not teach you the fundamental skills for self-defense and how to fight. Sure it may look good in movies, but in the ring, on the street, ect. It won't work. There may be some schools out there however, that offer taekwondo in addition to other martial arts. But a pure taekwondo school would not do that for you.
Oooopppp... They gone and said it. Nice observations boys! Good luck

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
you do understand there is a lot of guns in the military?
I understand that there ARE a lot of guns in the military. I also understand that there is only one gun in my hand at the moment. If it runs out of ammo or jams, I might be able to secure another. I might not. And if I am in close range combat and have an opportunity to jump on a bad guy, I bloody well better know how to fight and disarm him.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I understand that there ARE a lot of guns in the military. I also understand that there is only one gun in my hand at the moment. If it runs out of ammo or jams, I might be able to secure another. I might not. And if I am in close range combat and have an opportunity to jump on a bad guy, I bloody well better know how to fight and disarm him.

Soldiers don't really wander into combat on their own. They have other guys with guns to deal with that issue.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Intermission time
TKD vs skilled fighters. Brought to you by the makers of Keep Your Hands UP

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Looks like TKD vs a skilled fighter here

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

You seem to think that soldiers get a lot more unarmed combat training than they actually do.
Think "a few hours" and you'll be on track.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Intermission time
TKD vs skilled fighters. Brought to you by the makers of Keep Your Hands UP

Ben 10 from Australia is an ex tkd guy. And he is legitimately good. Ok he also comes out of intergrated. But still....

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You seem to think that soldiers get a lot more unarmed combat training than they actually do.
Think "a few hours" and you'll be on track.
From what I've found in old hand to hand combat training videos, the hand to hand is very practical and doesn't take long to learn or master the techniques. It's nowhere near as complex as most martial arts.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

How about not jumping on them? You have lost your knife as well? There are no other weapons of opportunity availble?

Latest Discussions