Some reflections on TaeKwonDo sparring that highlights why it has poor transitional success

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And then there are those ITF fighters who did well in full contact kickboxing and even transitioned successfully to MMA so once again you generalize from limited observation.

I didn't say he didn't transition well, only that his Taekwondo techniques were useless in that setting according to himself. This guy was an ITF 2nd Dan when beginning Muay Thai, and a 4th Dan these days.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I happen to think that the Taekwondo art that spars full contact has an easier time transitioning to full contact than the one that doesn't. push kicks and pulled punches aren't going to do you much good....

So you can argue either way these things. ITF guys are IMO even more deluded than WTF guys.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not to bash Hee, who I respect a lot, but it's clear his tournaments victories back in the day weren't in forms...

In case anyone would suggest that...

I don't even think those old Tae Soo do tournaments had forms competition... They most likely only did free sparring competitions until federations were in place for the respective styles of TaeKwondo

His roundhouse kick is very poor but I like his hands and spin kicks.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Btw. When did Hee split from ITF?

Latest Discussions