Surviving a Riot

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The first riot was from the Bowe Galotta fight

The second riot was from a high school graduation of all places.

My question to all of you is what are the tactics you use in surviving a riot? Is there a way to detect trouble before it happens?

Personally, I look for the exits and when trouble happens, I just leave.

Last edited by a moderator:

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
First rule is leave before it becomes a riot. Nobody who's paying attention is going to be surprised when a riot breaks out.

If you are stuck, Tom Patire (author of one of the better personal protection books out there) advises making a beeline for a wall, then following it to an exit. You're less exposed. You're less likely to get lost.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with leaving before it becomes a riot. But some things to consider: CCH is always a nice option, be with a group of friends at any big events, make your own group of friends if things start to get crazy, head to the bathroom or a closet until things slow down.

These are what I am thinking off the top of my head.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
With your back to a wall or in a corner you have better chance to defend yourself, if forced to.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also, once involved in a violent riot, attempt to leave the area as quickly as possible and moving to where far less people are.......do not go TOWARD riot police........a common misconception that the police will be able to distinguish you, the good guy civilian, from the several thousand rioters you are embedded with.......they won't! Accept that now.

Move away from police, and move away from sources of violence........leave the area as quickly as possible.

Latest Discussions