"Super-Size Me"

P

PeachMonkey

In another thread, Steve said the following:
hardheadjarheadJust saw Morgan Spurlock's "Supersize Me" said:
As someone with weight problems, I nearly fired back a pithy response at the time about how *knowing* that the way you eat is bad is not the real issue with those of us that are overweight... I've known my diet and exercise habits are often less-than-ideal to horrible for much of my life, and that knowledge alone didn't fix anything.

I just got out of "Super-Size Me" (along with Feisty Mouse and my girlfriend), and I really know what Steve meant, now. I feel... nauseated.

Like I said, I always knew that I needed to change the way I ate... always realized that it was bad for me. I'm still not 100% sure how to tackle the issues involved in why I eat the way I do. But I am now *motivated* to find the answers.

I recommend this movie to *everyone*.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey PeachMonkey

I logged on and saw a new thread and thought, No way! I just... and then saw who posted it. :rolleyes: Go, me!

I think it was an excellent film because it's not targeting people - or the problem - who are somewhat larger than what's "recommended". Morgan's body goes through such an extreme change, esp. in blood chemistry levels. I don't think that when I weighed more and ate more cheese (I love cheese), chocolate, and so forth, that my blood chemistry got to where his was. I think some of the "message" is about obesity in general, and there are certainly images of overweight people, but there are aspects to a fast-food diet that are the "secret" problems - the way your organs are damaged.

It was a fantastic complement to Schlosser's (different person) book, Fast Food Nation, which covers the existence of fast food joints in the USA, and how they historically emerged, and have changed our eating patterns and landscape, literally. Very interesting. One of the author's recommendations at the end of the book is to limit advertising to children for fast food, which is touched upon effectively in the movie as well.

Good stuff!

(And now I have my cheese. On toast. Mmmmm!)

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OUr local theater won't bring it to town, since we have a pizza hut, new york fries, and taco bell all in the theater. It is too bad. I have heard some very good things about the movie.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ouch! I guess that makes sense for their concession stand, although it's lousy....

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I worked in a theater when I was 19 and I have seen the way people indulge themselves, it is very scary, and even though I am not really overwieght, I too am guilty of eating improperly.

OP
P

PeachMonkey

Feisty Mouse said:
I think it was an excellent film because it's not targeting people - or the problem - who are somewhat larger than what's "recommended".
Yep. I can't even remember the last time I ate McDonald's... the extremes of what he did to himself just made me want to make sure I cut down on processed foods and took better care of myself in general... particularly from the organ damage you mentioned.

Feisty Mouse said:
(And now I have my cheese. On toast. Mmmmm!)
Mmmm. Cheese.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, the crazy liver-pickling and the signs that one of the doctors warned him about on the phone (I have a liver problem and so am familiar with them) of liver failure were stunning. He is a tall guy (6'2"), and the weight gain was noticeable but not that much in terms of his appearance. What changed was that horrible pallor he developed, the depression, the lethargy and addiction.... Wow.

I think I've been eating all kinds of food this evening in some sort of weird nutritional compensation. When I read Wasted (a memoir about a woman who had eating disorders for 16 years), I gained 5 lbs - as she wrote about her emaciated body, I was trying to compensate.

:rolleyes: Another "go, me!" moment.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Was that not a great flick?

I'd like to see the director/star, Morgan Spurlock, have a "bleeped" version for high school/middle school health classes.

Is this the year for documentaries, or what? "Fog of War", "Fahrenheit 9-11", and now this. Let us pray this makes the genre more popular.

----------------

Note: Morgan Spurlock's girlfriend? I'm in love with her. She's adorable. I'd become a vegan for her. She could break up my marriage.

Okay...I got that out. But she's still living rent free in my head.

------------------

Peachmonkey: I had problems with weight as a child. It runs in the family. The notion of addiction that they talked about in the movie, I thought, was right on the ball. I managed to replace my food addictions with more positive addictions...martial arts, running, and what have you. I focused my very OCD nature on things like fasting (which I don't advocate) and reading about nutrition. This doesn't work for everyone, however. I had this very deep seated RAGE that helped fuel and focus the re-invention of myself. That helped and hurt. I worked out like crazy, and now of course my connective tissue is somewhat shot.

Later, I started drinking heavily...had I not the positive addictions, the drinking might have claimed me as it did my father, uncle, and cousin.

"Knowing" what is good and bad for us helps a little in instances of addiction...particularly for those of us who place a great deal of value on knowledge as a form of power. Still, when those little voices inside of us beg for our kesoendorphins, our alcohol, our xanthines, our caffeine, our nicotine to calm the anxieties that batter our psyche, it becomes very, very hard to fight the urge to open the fridge, light up, brew a cup, or pop the top on a Bass Ale (a beergasm if there ever was one).

The notion of food "addiction" in a paleolithic sense, is rather silly if one thinks about it. What did one call a "food junkie" 40,000 years ago?

A survivor.

Regards,

Steve

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Steve

As another person who struggles with food, I understand what you're saying. I like the last point you make - that, as hunter-gatherers, these urges of wanting to eat fatty foods were excellent survival instincts. And, if we all lived on low-calorie, low- to medium-nutriet diets, stumbling upon a double cheeseburger would be the nutritional highlight of the month!

Of course, a supersized meal would probably make a hunter-gatherer hurl just as Morgan did when he started the diet. (cringe) Stomachs aren't ready for that much food unless you've been working on it!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Reviving this thread after doing a search... after watching the DVD.
Incredible but at the same time not surprising.
I do eat out a lot. At one of my jobs eating IN (brown-bagging) wasn't much of an option. Then after a 12 hour shift and adding in a two hour (public transit) commute... nah, I ain't gonna cook. Just want to eat and check e-mail and go to bed.

The DVD has extra interviews and the deleted scenes. But the one to really watch is the "Smoking Fry".... Oh My GOD! It has to be seen to be believed.

Great documentary. Kudos to the man, Morgan Spurlock for making the film and going through that diet, dispite his doctors pleading with him to STOP.
It basically shows what he did in 30 days we probably do to ourselves in a year's worth of eating out once a week or less.

The marketing ploys these companies use (not just McDonalds alright?) is so subtle that most people aren't aware of the subliminal messages that they are sending to our subconcious and worse... our children's subconciousness.

I learned these facts once at an A.L. Williams seminar back in the 80's...
1 out of 3 eggs is cracked open every morning at a McDonalds.
McDonalds is THE number ONE seller of Mattel toys.
McDonalds (at the time) sold more potatoes (by weight) than all the supermarkets combined in the country.

Watch this movie/documentary... (it's even closed captioned :wink1: ) very important and get the kids to watch it.
One gross out scene where the film-maker vomits (results shown briefly) and some language (for those who care). But very important film.

Funny how McDonalds denied any connection with the film and their new "Adult Happy Meal." hee hee too funny.

OP
R

raedyn

I haven't even seen the darn movie, but I've read a lot about it, and even THAT was enough to make me cut back on my fast food and to feel really guilty (and maybe slightly ill) anytime that I do.

Last time I ate at McDonalds, I was quite amused to see on one of their tray-liners a write up about "McDonalds" & "nutrition". I actually laughed. A real-life example of framing. As if saying the words close together might make them true.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't eaten fast food but one time in the last 2.5 years. That day Heather and I were coming home from shopping while we had to have something to eat. Of course the closest thing was .... dahhh.. dah.. dah.. dum. Burger King. First I couldn't finish my hamburger. The fries were way to salty and tasted like garbage. The drink was ok but not my preference and my stomach was upset for the rest of the evening. Since then I have not eaten fast food again. I don't eat there nor do I take my kids to eat fast food. I haven't seen the movie but would like to.

OP
D

Deuce

jfarnsworth said:
I haven't eaten fast food but one time in the last 2.5 years.
That's impressive. I can only wish that I can say the same. I'm a single bachalor, my cooking sucks and fast food is just so...well, fast. I should probably see the movie get some some motivation to eat properly.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't seen this movie yet, but have lived the fast food life. Running around (as we moms do) can be taxing and I often just wanna shove something edible in their little faces soon so they can hit the sack ASAP.

When I trained for BB, I committed to buying the smallest salads available at the fast food joints. My kids like Wendy's and I don't mind going there because you can get alternatives, like a cup of chili off the $1 menu instead of a burger and fries. I would get salad and chili if I were really hungry. The portions are small enough, also, that I don't feel too guilty doing that. But I ate not one cheeseburger for months and months and I substituted iced tea for my soda. Not only did I lose weight, but I was clearer mentally. I didn't forget things, I retained things.

Now, I prefer to force myself to cook something at home (crockpot) and keep the hunger off with fruit or fruit and cereal bars in the car.

Sometimes I'm weak, however, and I indulge in a kid's meal. And it seems I always pay for it.

Rynocerous

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I thought that the picture relation with the children was a great way to show the impact that the marketing has on our children. Every single one of them recognized Ronald, and why? Marketing.
It is especially funny when the little boy says that the picture of Jesus looks like G W Bush. Hilarious.

Cheers,

Ryan

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Rynocerous said:
It is especially funny when the little boy says that the picture of Jesus looks like G W Bush. Hilarious.

Now that is some Marketing!!!!

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Haven't even heard of this movie...I guess its not coming to town. We have a ton of fast food places. I can't remember the last time I went to one, oh yeah, last summer traveling. I think overeating, eating the wrong stuff is really about education. Nobody really wants to kill themselves; our survival instinct is pretty strong. Its like having a heart attack, I imagine,
you realize this is it, change or die. But alot of the damage is done by then, so its smarter to start now.

One day at a time. The South Beach diet is really healthy, alot of fish, good for you. Mercury yeah, but the benefits probably outweigh the hazard and you can limit certain fish. Some of the oldest people are in Okinawa, where vegetables and fish make up most of their diet. There, the 100 year olds are still working and have less diseases. I guess I've been scared all of my life of being fat-overweight so I'm the only one in my family of six that has exercised my whole life, tried to eat right. Everyone else in my family has major health problems.. TW

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rynocerous said:
:xtrmshock You have got to be kidding me!!!!!! :angry: I'm already enough of a conspiracy theorist and now this?????? :erg: :tantrum: This is a completely unacceptable form of brainwashing - the fact that some children equate the picture of Bush with the Master !!! Dubya = Christ??? Now that's what I would call Holy *expletive*!!!!! :cuss:

We need to :rockets::rockets::rockets:

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great movie, well done, very true.

But its not just fast food, the ameican diet follows the same trends. When is the last time anyone here at 7-8 helpings of completely organically grown vegitables every day for even a week? 3 days? 1 day? In my opinion, supllimentation is the key. If you can suppliment those missed "neccessities"; eating "regular" american diet or even fast food here and there isn't as bad a thing. Its all about balance. Notice how circular our diet fads have gone? First it was a balance of everything (carbs, vegies, meats, etc.) then we went to the limiting diets. No carbs, no meats, etc. Then we found those are bad for you and now its back to a balance of all the above. Balance and supplimentation in todays world is the key in my opinion. Ok, off my box....

7sm

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You make an excellent point, 7star. The lifestyles we lead AND the SAD (Standard American Diet) leaves much to be desired. But you can eat healthily on a fast-track if you make good choices. Make snacks out of fruit - toss apples in the car for on-the-go situations. There are plenty of whole-grain cracker choices, simple crunchy veggies work and you can even make a veggie and whole-grain form of pizza that tastes yummy if you gotta stay home.

Hot apple cider is a good substitute for coffee or caffeinated tea.

But if I may capitalize on your point about supplementation, I couldn't agree more. Today's commercial farming has robbed our soils of vital nutrients leaving our produce lacking in the food value it undoubtedly once had. I think supplementing with a multi is a good choice. Further, I think everyone should invest in a personal nutrition profile to see what an individual's supplementation needs are specifically, then one can address more specific issues. Some of us are lacking in amino acids and don't even know it.

The other point you make about moderation is vital as well. If one is in a position where there is little food to choose from, one's body must be able to tolerate whatever it gets. This happens best through intermittent exposure, IMHO.

Thanks!

Latest Discussions