Styles for someone with limited kicking abilities?

M

marshallbd

I am wondering what styles would be of benefit to an individual with limited leg strength due to surgery. Kicking should be minimal,waist high or lower, both legs. What types of martial arts are out there for someone like this?

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
American Kenpo :D
sure we kick to the head.. After we have dropped them to the ground ;)

most of the kicks are from the ground to the solar plexus and that's not difficult at all, especially when you have cancelled your opponents height and depth.. they are right there all nice and open for you~!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of the many aikido styles may be an idea to check out. Most styles of aikido don't do extensive kicking (some one say minimal kicking).

OP
M

marshallbd

KenpoTess said:
American Kenpo :D
sure we kick to the head.. After we have dropped them to the ground ;)

most of the kicks are from the ground to the solar plexus and that's not difficult at all, especially when you have cancelled your opponents height and depth.. they are right there all nice and open for you~!
Yeah that's what I think as well.....I am having a hard time with my leg since my surgery and don't think kicking or even extreme heavy workouts will be a possibility for quite some time....But I want to get going soon.....so I'm always looking!

PS. Nice picture! :asian:

wingchunner

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Wing Chun. Few stances, few kicks. We work on strengthening the legs, especially the knees. Send me an email and let me know if you're interested.

Marty

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wing chun would be very beneficial as it focuses on close in fighting, trapping, and has very few kicks, and they are all low kicks as well as defensive kicks.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also, a lot of systems of FMA and Silat don't have much kicking - though some do. Depends on the system.

Mike

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Parker Kenpo.

Your instructor should be able to adapt anything you can't do to change it to something you can do. If your instructor tries to mold you to the style instead of adapt the style to you, find someone else to train with. An instructor needs to respect your physical limits. Instead of saying "oh, you can skip this..." they need to say "this won't work for you, so we'll change it to this..."

OP
M

marshallbd

Nightingale said:
Parker Kenpo.

Your instructor should be able to adapt anything you can't do to change it to something you can do. If your instructor tries to mold you to the style instead of adapt the style to you, find someone else to train with. An instructor needs to respect your physical limits. Instead of saying "oh, you can skip this..." they need to say "this won't work for you, so we'll change it to this..."
This is what I love about this system....I started to train in AK but had to stop due to a move and then in Tracy's but got injured during a Military Activation (I'm a reservist) and then tried to train again in AK and the instructor was a young 2nd degree but was a very good instructor who tried to modify everything for me but I stopped going due to too much pain (Before surgery). Now I can do everything in a modified way but will never be 100%. Hence my question. I am unable to find a school close to me here in West Virginia. I was planning on training with Seig and Tess at their school but they are much further than I realized. I appreciate al the replies though....thanks much and keep em comin! :asian:

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tony said:
Wing chun would be very beneficial as it focuses on close in fighting, trapping, and has very few kicks, and they are all low kicks as well as defensive kicks.
Most CMA have low kicks. Tai Chi might even be good for developing your legs back after a surgury or such. Most Kung Fu systems have very low kicks so those are some good choices as well.

7sm

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wing Chun is one of the first that comes to mind. It may also be that (kick)boxing is good too, depending on how strong the leg is otherwise (the legs get tired after a few rounds). Similarly for many Southern CMAs. The FMA are also fairly leg-friendly. Grappling arts are a possibility--BJJ, Judo, etc. Many other arts might well be adapted to a person's limitations as has been mentioned.

What's available to you now?

OP
M

marshallbd

arnisador said:
What's available to you now?
Not too much, Shotokan club at the Y, and I believe a TSD instructor just began teaching here. Then there is a guy claiming to teach Shaolin Kenpo not too far but his school doors are always locked. (He is only open 4 days a week for limited (VERY) hours.

OP

2fisted

If you can find a non-sport, non-Americanized Okinawan Goju-ryu instructor, that would fit your bill too.

OP
M

marshallbd

2fisted said:
If you can find a non-sport, non-Americanized Okinawan Goju-ryu instructor, that would fit your bill too.
That style has always apealed to me as well, hell, all of the Okinawan styles appeal to me..... :asian:

OP
I

InvisibleFist

Southern Kung fu.

Hung Gar, Choy li fut.

Elaborate and powerful hand techniques, low kicks.

OP
M

marshallbd

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
combat handgunning. No kicks at all.

Dr. Dave
Got that area covered, but I'm a little more interested in times when I aint packin heat....

Latest Discussions