Native American Fighting Arts?

M

marshallbd

Are there any Organized Native American Fighting Art Systems/Organizations out there other than the Infamous Chief Romans?
Here's the chiefs site if you havent ever seen it...www.adrianroman.com :asian:

OP
T

TonyM.

There is a knife fighting art that includes staff and barehand in alaska known as ulu that I've been shown a little of. Can't find anything on the web exept people selling ulus.
P.S. That bio was perhaps the most complete BS I've ever read. WTF, did the BIA kick the family out because they could'nt prove lineage or what? As a cherokee I'm suspitious of all of his claims. Notice no tribal connections. Bet he used to call himself a shaman.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not Native American, so please don't misinterpret. I find it very odd that this Roman guy is attaching Oriental belt ranks to a supposedly Native American fighting system. I agree. It does look like a load of crap. I guess Native Americans can be con artists as much as anyone else. That is, if he is indeed Native. I doubt that too.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
I find it very odd that this Roman guy is attaching Oriental belt ranks to a supposedly Native American fighting system.
I certainly am not going to defend the "system" in question, but in fairness, you could say the same about Korean/Chinese/Filipino/etc. systems using the Japanese belt ranking system. It's so common nowadays that people simply expect it.

OP
R

RHD

Looks like a good moneymaker to me...I think i'll go to one of the guy's seminars and get certified immediately.
Mike

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm a memebr of the Comanche Nation and did some research at one time about NA fighting systems. Most of what I got from speaking with different chiefs was that there wasn't one set system, it was basically learn from experience. They started you learning how to use such things as hatchets and you learned to hunt small animals, then bigger ones, then fighting with them. If you didn't learn quick and win, you most likely wouldn't last long and wouldn't be made a warrior.

Just some info on it I found a while back.

7sm

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
As someone who is only 1/4 Native Am., part Cherokee & part Choctaw, I resent this guy holding himself out there as representing validity, BASED ON HIS HONOR AS A NATIVE AMERICAN. Like there aren't enough misconceptions to overcome.

As to NA systems: There is a guy in So. Cal. (Fountain Valley, last time I looked) named Blaise Loong, who has some Apache relatives. Spent much of his adult youth travelling the world learning indegineous fighting arts. One was Apache spear and knife, which he teaches along side Viking Shield & Hammer, JKD and Kali (Inosanto line), and Penchak Silat (was one of the first non-natives to travel to that part of the world to learn the art, and was adopted by one of the Guro's poeple in the art know by name...but I don't recall the name of the guru)

Also teaches dumog, and has some senior students importing BJJ. Actually one of the few "warrior" training grounds around here...hard core, fanatic type, great with weapons, and trains hard. Talented student pool. Might be on the web; I know he has some weapons videos.

Namaste!

Dr. Dave

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I heard about this guy on the Escrima Digest forum. As usual on the forum he got a standard mix of "he's fake" and "he's respectable". I still wouldn't mind checking him out as he has some very unique styles if they are authentic.

OP
M

marshallbd

OULobo said:
I heard about this guy on the Escrima Digest forum. As usual on the forum he got a standard mix of "he's fake" and "he's respectable". I still wouldn't mind checking him out as he has some very unique styles if they are authentic.
Are you talking about Roman or Mr Loong in California? :asian:

OP
M

marshallbd

OULobo said:
Mr. Loong.
Thanks for clarifying, not sure about Mr Loong, but I think Mr Roman needs to rethink his program....

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
in regards to Roman's "Native American" System of fighting...upon further research, Roman has a very legitimate MA background in Parker's American Kenpo. if you were to look at his MA history, you will see it is almost all Kenpo-based. i do believe while he may be a talented Kenpoist, what he probably did was take the kenpo knowledge he had, & distorted it to his own liking, in turn, creating his Red Warrior system. please dont be confused in believing the Native American people have their own system of empty-hand defense per se. im sure we do, but it's not one of structured content so to speak. also, Roman does have a studio in TX somewhere, & from what i've heard, American Kenpo is the curriculum taught.

kinda on the same subject, isnt it funny that ppl on the forum are bashing this guy for having a distance-learning program. im not in the least defending Roman , and for the record, i completely disagree w/ any kind of MA distant-learning programs, or belts by mail. i say if you bash one, you should then bash them all. why hasnt anyone here ever questioned the IKCA program of belts through the mail...? im not hoping the enflame anyone, just playing devil's advocate here...

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
What about systems of Hawaiian/Polynesian fighting systems of the indiginous folks (Samoans and such). Saw WHALE RIDER about New Zealand based Polynesians and there was a component about martial arts/warrior traditions in the Chieftain training part of the movie,

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
What about systems of Hawaiian/Polynesian fighting systems of the indiginous folks (Samoans and such). Saw WHALE RIDER about New Zealand based Polynesians and there was a component about martial arts/warrior traditions in the Chieftain training part of the movie,

i wasnt meaning for my statement to be a "blanket statement" referring to all Natives. i am just referring to the Native Americans, my own heritage to be exact, which is Cherokee, Choctaw, & Creek Indian...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sapper6 said:
kinda on the same subject, isnt it funny that ppl on the forum are bashing this guy for having a distance-learning program. im not in the least defending Roman , and for the record, i completely disagree w/ any kind of MA distant-learning programs, or belts by mail. i say if you bash one, you should then bash them all. why hasnt anyone here ever questioned the IKCA program of belts through the mail...? im not hoping the enflame anyone, just playing devil's advocate here...
Here's a thread on that (not the only one):
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12291

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sapper6 said:
i wasnt meaning for my statement to be a "blanket statement" referring to all Natives. i am just referring to the Native Americans, my own heritage to be exact, which is Cherokee, Choctaw, & Creek Indian...

Okay, but what about it? I figured if anyone was interested in aboriginal arts/indiginous arts they might have insight into both regions.

On the topic, I think it is interesting how hunting is used in these tribal based arts as a way of training the skills within a context that relates to combat applications (tracking, stalking, booby traps/snares, anatomy and killing blows...) and not just a stand alone art. I can't say I know much about an organized Native American Art, but I can say that relating the 'context' training to my own upbringing, firearms and knife skills were part of my 'sportsman' training that gave it a total context as well.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
%-} I think that some hit it on the head. There probably are'nt any NA systems that have been put in granite. I think that most of them have been probably passed from student to teacher. With out any one system being recorded, and kept. I wonder if there are any legitimate NA teachers of the old martial ways looking for someone to help save thier system? I would be very interested in helping in such an endeavor.

:asian:

OP
S

stanley neptune

Chief Roman doesn't he teach Tonto Jutsu which is the system used by the Fugawi Tribe. He looks a little liek Roaring Chicken from F-Troop.

It is Kenpo under a different name with some Native American Mumbo Jumbo thrown in for good measure.

Why does everyone look for new esoteric stuff when the old stuff works just fine.

I am Irish. I think I will invent Leprechaun Fu. The indigenous style used by the wee folk of the Mystical Island of Eire, The Old Sod, to protect their pots of gold and their Lucky Charms (Oooooo...They're always after me Lucky Charms!!)

Stanley Neptune

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sapper6 said:
in regards to Roman's "Native American" System of fighting...upon further research, Roman has a very legitimate MA background in Parker's American Kenpo. if you were to look at his MA history, you will see it is almost all Kenpo-based. i do believe while he may be a talented Kenpoist, what he probably did was take the kenpo knowledge he had, & distorted it to his own liking, in turn, creating his Red Warrior system. please dont be confused in believing the Native American people have their own system of empty-hand defense per se. im sure we do, but it's not one of structured content so to speak. also, Roman does have a studio in TX somewhere, & from what i've heard, American Kenpo is the curriculum taught.

What causes you to believe the KC guys haven't been skewered? I have an abiding respect for Mr. Sullivan, based on pre-KC data. I have nothing but disdain for the KC belts-through-mail thing. I, personally, believe that 90% of learning the martial arts is a kinesthetic feedback experience, and if you do not have a warm body throwing blows at you while you learn to block, then you're learning to dance, not fight. The video instruction and video testing thing cannot possibly provide the tactile information necessary to develop good kenpo skills. But, hey: If I'm ever looking for an easy promotion, I now know of some places to go.

Regards,

Dr. Dave

Latest Discussions