Style Bashing

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I will like to turn that boat upside down and use it for shelter. The hole will be my chimney, or my water catching basin, or my periscope aperture. Maybe the hole can be turned to advantage against someone who only sees a hole. Honestly, maybe not if it’s a giant hole.
Good point. Context matters, for sure, which is another argument in favor of being more specific in our discussions.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think maybe the only thing we really differ on is the part about training method being intrinsic to a style. Of course, that depends how we define "style", so it's pretty mushy. But when I think of "style bashing", I think of it being about the art, which can be trained with varied methodologies. What's intrinsic to a style, in my opinion, is a small subset of how it's trained (even if it's trained much the same way everywhere). So, for an aiki art, it pretty much needs to include aiki/ki training exercises (or it's no longer that aiki art), but nearly everythning outside that could vary dramatically without it necessarily being a different style.
This really got me thinking, thanks.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sometimes, it's by their own admission. We like to cook, you and me. There are a million ways to cook a chicken. What's right or wrong is mostly a matter of opinion and personal preference. But let's say someone likes to eat their chicken medium rare. You can be pretty sure, based on your own expertise, that the person is misguided. And you might be saving that person from making themselves or others sick by telling them so.
This assumes that I know better, but I may not. If someone asks me if eating balut is a healthy idea, I may very well use the same logic used in the uncooked chicken analogy. That could prove incorrect. Balut is fine to eat if you like it. On a different note, my inupiaque native friend eats Mukduk, she tells me that if one eats any sugar within 24 hours of eating mukduk they can die, otherwise it is perfectly safe. I have no idea whether any of that is true. Mukduk is raw seal meat floating in seal oil and seal blood, many native Alaskans consume it. I don’t any Mukduk sandwiches Steve, no matter your skill in assembly. Not bashing your sandwich style in any way.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why not just talk about why your style is great,
When you have trained multiple styles, you are not looking at just 1 MA style but you are looking at many MA styles at the same time.

For example, I have trained both Baji and praying mantis. I can say the Baji is great in power generation. I can also say the praying mantis is great in speed generation.

But when I say speed generation is missing in Baji system, and power generation is missing in praying mantis system, am I bashing both the Baji and praying mantis systems? I just compare the difference between these 2 MA systems.

Last edited:

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What is "style bashing"?

If you say that:

- boxers don't train kick.
- Judo guys don't train no-jacket wrestling.
- BJJ guys don't train one against many.
- Chinese wrestlers don't train ground skill.

Is that "style bashing"? Under this heavy title of "style bashing", we may afraid to discuss many MA subjects.

When someone said,

- "Chinese wrestlers don't train ground skill."
- "Long fist guys don't train flying knee."

I don't treat it as "style bashing". I treat it as "mention a fact".

What's your opponent on this?
I think it's ok to make statements like the ones you listed, those are observations and true. Style bashing to me is someone saying my kung fu is better than yours and so and so art is worthless. To me it's about a lack of respect and a false sense of superiority. We see it alot from the mma crowd if you're training anything other than the common arts in mma your style is viewed as ineffective. I don't like bashing styles because I try to see the value in every art I see.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You are a 7th degree BB. When a white belt says that you are wrong, do you want to express your opinion and prove that you are not wrong?

If one doesn't believe in himself, he should get a rope, find a quiet place, and hang himself.

A: The fish is very happy.
B: You are not the fish. How do you know the fist is happy?
A: You are not me. How do you know that I don't know the fish is happy?
You: your car is a terrible truck.
Me: that's because it's a car and not a truck.
You: but everything should be a truck, trucks are all that matter.

Cars are cars. Trucks are trucks. As they used to say, horses for courses. If my style doesn't do the things you think it should, big deal. If your style doesn't do the things I think it should, big deal. And no, I won't prove it in the octagon, because again, my car isn't a truck. But you never get that.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To me, another form of it is condescendingly telling someone that their training is subpar because they don't do it the same way you did.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Cars are cars. Trucks are trucks.
TKD is TKD and MT is MT. But if you have trained both TKD and MT, you may want to compare the difference between TKD roundhouse kick and MT roundhouse kick.

I assume this is why we have "General Martial Arts Talk" session in this forum.

Last edited:

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think Style Bashing is not right at all every Style has a Unique technique and style on its own like in kenpo karate we do physical and mental check we check high and low in some martial arts they dont do that and every time we do a technique you will hear a slapping sound in most martial arts don't do that except kenpo also we have 24 techniques on each belt and we have names for our technique and most martial arts dont do that so yea stop style bashing

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are a 7th degree BB. When a white belt says that you are wrong, do you want to express your opinion and prove that you are not wrong?

If one doesn't believe in himself, he should get a rope, find a quiet place, and hang himself.

A: The fish is very happy.
B: You are not the fish. How do you know the fist is happy?
A: You are not me. How do you know that I don't know the fish is happy?
I've dealt with too many suicides in my life, personal and professional to let this pass unremarked.

While I'm confident that this post wasn't meant to truly suggest anyone commit suicide -- it's in poor taste.

For those facing challenges -- Suicide Prevention Resource Center or 988 throughout most of the US. Help is available, and people really do want to help.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What is "style bashing"?

If you say that:

- boxers don't train kick.
- Judo guys don't train no-jacket wrestling.
- BJJ guys don't train one against many.
- Chinese wrestlers don't train ground skill.

Is that "style bashing"? Under this heavy title of "style bashing", we may afraid to discuss many MA subjects.

When someone said,

- "Chinese wrestlers don't train ground skill."
- "Long fist guys don't train flying knee."

I don't treat it as "style bashing". I treat it as "mention a fact".

What's your opponent on this?
I think you already bashed it by calling schools a "style".

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
When you have trained multiple styles, you are not looking at just 1 MA style but you are looking at many MA styles at the same time.

For example, I have trained both Baji and praying mantis. I can say the Baji is great in power generation. I can also say the praying mantis is great in speed generation.

But when I say speed generation is missing in Baji system, and power generation is missing in praying mantis system, am I bashing both the Baji and praying mantis systems? I just compare the difference between these 2 MA systems.
I don’t take it that way, unless you talk about a specific school or teacher. I think if you want to bash a specific school or teacher you should do it in person and have the courage of those convictions.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Okay, but when you train in multiple styles, are they still separate styles or have you integrated them and normalized that unique recipe? I train a recipe like this, I have several different gung fu styles, western boxing, And Yang long Tai Chi Chuan as main ingredients. I also trained JJJ for several years as a kid and I have some basics from that. I also trained MT for a while, so I have some clinch and MT kicks in my recipe. I look at it like taking the moving parts that work with each other well for me and my personal tastes. I don’t fight or compete, but my recipe really works well for me when I have. I want to have a really well rounded flavor to what I do. I don’t teach any JJJ or any MT because I have only small experience in both. I do recommend my students to train in grappling of some kind because I recognize the fact that the style I teach does not contain this important info. It’s not a bash to take good info from one and add it to another. That is actually an MMA after all.

Latest Discussions