What do you think about this form?

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Excellent video and it appears the student knows his art well. There was power, focus and graceful movements exhibited. Seems to be some style of wushu (sp).

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It looks great. Very flowing and graceful. Whenever I view a kata or form I do not know, I instinctively try to figure out the application behind the moves. Punches and kicks are easy of course, as are some blocks. I've never quite figured out some of the arms widespread stances, but just because I can't imagine the application doesn't mean there isn't any. I liked watching it, thanks.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
. I've never quite figured out some of the arms widespread stances, but just because I can't imagine the application doesn't mean there isn't an
When something makes sense for striking then see if it makes sense grappling.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Video makes me want to work out harder. For some reason I never think I train hard enough.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To my uninformed eyes, it looks crisp, energetic, and precise. I don’t understand the mechanics or movements, but it seems well done.

EDIT: it makes me want to go practice my forms. I haven’t done them in a while.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This should have been: If something doesn't make sense for striking then see if it makes sense for striking.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I learned the striking art, I didn't understand the meaning of the "right leg kick back".

my-kick-punch.gif

Until I started to train the throwing art, I then realized it's a "leg spring".

my-spring.gif

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I just find a form performance that I like. When I watch this video, it makes me to feel

- young,
- health, and
- strong.

What's your opinion on this form performance?

That was an excellent demonstration! I really enjoyed it. Is long fist considered a southern style?

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Not familiar with this system so I don't have a frame of reference, but from a general MA standpoint looked fluid, precise, and powerful.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here is another long fist form to share. Whoever had created this form in the following video had "both sides balance" in his mind. The form creator might create a short form. Since he included both sides, a short form turned into a regular size form.

- sequence 1 (east).
- different side sequence 1 (west).
- sequence 2 (east).
- different side sequence 2 (west).

A 2 sequences form then turn into a 4 sequences form. It's an excellent way to create a balanced form.

What's your opinion on this?

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Long fist is northern CMA. It contains 5 branches - Cha, Hua, Hong, Tang, and Pao.
Oh ok. Thanks for letting me know. I'm just getting into some cma stuff. I'm still a newb when it comes to knowledge of that type of stuff. From what I've seen southern styles seem to be punching focused with low line kicks and Northern uses high kicks does that sound right?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I learned the striking art, I didn't understand the meaning of the "right leg kick back".

my-kick-punch.gif

Until I started to train the throwing art, I then realized it's a "leg spring".

my-spring.gif
Oh ok. Thanks for letting me know. I'm just getting into some cma stuff. I'm still a newb when it comes to knowledge of that type of stuff. From what I've seen southern styles seem to be punching focused with low line kicks and Northern uses high kicks does that sound right?
northern feet/southern hands is a saying. It’s sort of a generalized statement at this point. It has some geographical, historical, and cultural reference as well.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The northern CMA style kick higher than the southern CMA style, but kick lower than TKD does. Most long fist kicks are chest level except the jumping kick.

Old northern CMA saying said:

- Hands are like 2 doors. It all depends on your legs to attack.
- Hands attack 30%. Legs attack 70%.

Last edited: