Stupid things you've seen in MA's

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, an off-shoot to another thread. Now this time, what's one of the stupidest things you've seen someone else do in MA's.

Could be Televised, a tourny, your own school.. just remember someone may read this that you are talking about. So keep names to a minimum ;)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One guy from our dojang was teaching a few of his friends how to sneak up on someone and how to detect being snuck up on by the sensation of energy ("feeling energy").

So he has the sneakee stand there with hands in position and eyes closed while he's sneaking up on his intended victim. He gets to a certain point and says to his prey, "Can you feel me now?"

Right at this moment, another of his intended students sneaks up behind him and yanks down his dobuk pants, whereupon the intended prey looks over his shoulder, having heard the question "Can you feel me now?" to see his intended prowler about ten feet behind him with his drawers around his ankles.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Poor guy. He'll NEVER live that one down!

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Without naming names, the $10,000 challenge posted by an interesting neo-ninja.

$10,000 Challenge

In an effort to quiet criticism and suppress challenges, (neo ninja name removed) has established rules for a "$10,000 Challenge" for those wishing to test his skill. These rules place significant financial and legal demands on challengers, who are required to pay $10,000 as well as post a $25,000 bond and cover all expenses of the event.

Several individuals claim to have come forward to challenge (neo ninja name removed), and presented evidence of the money, yet report that he declined to arrange a fight. Note that the $10,000 appears to refer to the aforementioned fee — nothing in the rules states that the challenger will receive $10,000 on victory as may be inferred.

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
These kinds of pseudo-challenges go on all the time.
There is one rather prominent charlatan in the jerry durant/goshin jutsu world who likes to take issue with the legitmacy of the arts taught by Shogo Kuniba. This charlatan is also a high ranking officer in the Border Patrol, I beleive a Chief.
He had his wife challenge me to fly down to AZ and meet her in a death match in order to prove that the sword arts taught Kuniba were legit. I assume that had she killed me that would prove that they were not and if I killed her then it would prove they were legit.
Of course I was not dumb enough to travel out of state with a sword to try and kill the wife of a high ranking law enforcement official. The whole thing was just as silly as the $10,000 Ninja Challenge.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
One guy from our dojang was teaching a few of his friends how to sneak up on someone and how to detect being snuck up on by the sensation of energy ("feeling energy"). Right at this moment, another of his intended students sneaks up behind him and yanks down his dobuk pants, whereupon the intended prey looks over his shoulder, having heard the question "Can you feel me now?" to see his intended prowler about ten feet behind him with his drawers around his ankles. Poor guy. He'll NEVER live that one down!
:rofl:
Grenadier said:
Without naming names, the $10,000 challenge posted by an interesting neo-ninja.
Don't get me started on that neo-ninja! :lol: :lol:

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was in a local tournament, a few years back, and there were some demonstrations prior to the contest. One Instructor, who's ego walked in before he came through the door, began his demo.

Had his students become obstacles he could do flying kicks over, etc., then had a couple of them hold some boards for him to break.

After about four tries of varying flying kicks against the un-breaking board, and berating the students for not "holding them right", he took the boards in one hand and broke them with punches in a fit of anger!

I was real impressed.............

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Students wearing their white Gi's and belts walking into supermarkets before going to classes or coming from classes.(referring to Adults)

For us we usually wear t-shirts or change clothes, but not wear our belts!.........Aloha

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, Students wearing their white Gi's and belts walking into supermarkets before going to classes or coming from classes.(referring to Adults)

For us we usually wear t-shirts or change clothes, but not wear our belts!.........Aloha

Hmmm...maybe I need to stop doing that. On the other hand, there is only one bathroom at the dojo. Sort of makes it difficult not to come to class fully dressed.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I never think twice about what I'm wearing. Other than the sweat factor, why should I?

If I just came off the football field and was wearing my jersey no one would say anything. But for some reason, if someone's wearing a gi and belt we're automatically "showing off"? I don't think so.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It was in the Open Kata division at the Long Beach Internationals in the early or mid '80s. There was some guy in blue tights with a red cape...he did some danceaerobics thing to disco music. Mostly running in place and throwing punches and backfists. The judges were cracking up. The audience was cracking up. The other compeitors were cracking up. This is true. I am not making it up.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
oldnewbie said:
I was in a local tournament, a few years back, and there were some demonstrations prior to the contest. One Instructor, who's ego walked in before he came through the door, began his demo.

Had his students become obstacles he could do flying kicks over, etc., then had a couple of them hold some boards for him to break.

After about four tries of varying flying kicks against the un-breaking board, and berating the students for not "holding them right", he took the boards in one hand and broke them with punches in a fit of anger!

I was real impressed.............

Hey now, I've had the board from hell before. It sucks. And its humbling.

The stupidist thing I ever saw was something that happened in high school. Three macho guys walked into the weight room wearing their black belts and their workout clothes. They were from a local TKD dojang and were pretty cocky. The wrestling team, me included, was in there at the time working out.

Anyway, one of the bb's started bragging about all of the fighting that he does at the dojang and that he could probably kick everyone's butt in the weightroom...I kid you not, he said that. Well, the captain of the wrestling team walked up and asked if he wanted to test that claim on the mat...

Well, to make a short story even shorter, guess who won?

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
It was in the Open Kata division at the Long Beach Internationals in the early or mid '80s. There was some guy in blue tights with a red cape...he did some danceaerobics thing to disco music. Mostly running in place and throwing punches and backfists. The judges were cracking up. The audience was cracking up. The other compeitors were cracking up. This is true. I am not making it up.
:roflmao:

I wonder what Mr. Parker thought/said during that event...:uhyeah:

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nope- OFK is not making it up........I've heard the story before from a friend of mine who must have been at the same Internationals!! Pretty funny!!

We seem to have an outbreak of gi and belt wearing folks in the stores around here too. Back when I started, it was taught to us that it was disrespectful to wear your belt around outside of the dojo. I often wear my gi if I am just running in somewhere to get a soda after class.......but never my belt. I am even leery of wearing my gi top now cuz I got heckled at a store last year by some guys who were mocking me and standing in my way when I came out of the store.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gin-Gin said:
:roflmao:

I wonder what Mr. Parker thought/said during that event...:uhyeah:

Don't know if Mr. Parker was there. Mr. John Sepulveda was there. One of the judges if my memory serves me correctly. You might want to ask him if he remembers if you see him at a seminar...

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
Don't know if Mr. Parker was there. Mr. John Sepulveda was there. One of the judges if my memory serves me correctly. You might want to ask him if he remembers if you see him at a seminar...
Will do. :)

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wore my uniform to class at my other school (here it's too cold)

Very few times would I need t do much but go to and from class...a few times had to stop for gas.

But...the belt is part of the uniform so out of respect, I don't take off the belt, or allow me kids to, until I'm changing completelt

Latest Discussions