• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Does your art break? Why or Why Not?

Vote in the poll above and explain how practicioners of your art view this.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In case there is any confusion, the term "break", means to physically break materials with strikes. These materials could include wood, bricks, blocks, ice, etc...

As a secondary question, if your art breaks, please list some things that you break and give a few examples of the techniques used to break them.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wood single and multiple - Hand strikes like ridge, backfist, hammerfist,straight ounch and kicka, roundhouse,sidekick,backkick,back swing,push kick,crescent,jumping roundhouse, jumping back,jumping anything really.

Also bricks,tiles,singles/ just to name some.
Terry

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was thinking joint breaking. Heh, no we dont break anything aside from those.

7sm

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have breaks at every promotion test as a confidence builder. The higher the rank, the harder the break. All done with either 1/2" or 1" boards. We also do Demonstration breaks, usually with 1/2" wood as the focus is more on the technique than the break itself.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
So much of it is carnival tricks and out and out BS. Spacers, Kiln-dried pine boards, cinder blocks that are twelve parts sand to one part cement, stupid ki tricks, having bricks broken on you. And so on. And so on.

It doesn't help you fight. It isn't "martial" in any real sense of the word. It's there pretty much to make the student think he's learned something and provide impressive demos for the gullible and ignorant.

Feh.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Does your art break? Why or Why Not?

My art doesn't do anything. The induvidual has to do it. However we do things taught in the arts which result in breaks. We don't practice breaking boards, but we do break dowels to assumulate arm breaks. We also do weapon strikes in a manner to break the other's stick. Not because we want to break the stick but to break bones.

Danny

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some of my schools did, some didn't.

My Shotokan dojos did employ breaking of boards and cement slabs, although it wasn't mandatory. If anything, it was more for some entertainment, and confidence building.

My Tae Kwon Do dojang also used breaking, but it was mandatory. One board at the beginner gup levels (hand or foot), two boards with foot at intermediate levels, slabs at higher gup levels.

My current and previous karate dojos do not use breaking.

I'm not going to get involved in the debate as to whether it's good or bad, since each side has its valid points. All I will say is that if you find that it helps you, then do it. If not, then don't do it. It works either way.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
We don't.

We have strikes which would be effective - and when we do a certain kick sometimes the instructor mentions one could kick in a door with it. But the way we veiw it is,

whats the point? boards dont hit back.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, For testing we have to break one inch boards, for BB belts testing at least 4 boards(one in each different break,fist ,foot and so on), higher up bricks are added. Our Kempo school.

More for confidence and traditions, also at demostrations we break boards and bricks,it seems to wow the crowds.

Is it neccessary? Off course not!

At my old school (Shotokan Karate) we were told we had to break 5 one inch pine boards with no spacers (for BB testing). I did just three because he ask how many I wanted to do. Most of his students who tried 5 boards fail, but breaking wasn't all the goal. The goal was to do it anyway, because of traditions..............................Aloha

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sam said:
We don't.

We have strikes which would be effective - and when we do a certain kick sometimes the instructor mentions one could kick in a door with it. But the way we veiw it is,

whats the point? boards dont hit back.

Neither do doors...

If you're gonna commit senseless acts of violence against wood...might as well have fun with it...

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
personally, when I think about kicking a door in I dont think of it as senseless. Usually like the house is burning down or someones getting raped in a locked room.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
I'm not going to get involved in the debate as to whether it's good or bad, since each side has its valid points. All I will say is that if you find that it helps you, then do it. If not, then don't do it. It works either way.

I totally agree.

Anyways, my dojang does breaking. We don't "practice" breaking. But 2nd gups and up break during testing. Some choose to break at tournies, and our demo team does breaking for demos.

Personally, I like breaking. I enjoy it. When I complete a break, it's kind of a confidence booster, just like winning in a match. But I don't always do either, but it makes me try harder.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bignick said:
Neither do doors...

If you're gonna commit senseless acts of violence against wood...might as well have fun with it...
LOL bignick! My instructor says when trees start attacking us we will break wood. :jedi1: I personally do think it's very cool though, and admire how those of you who do it, do it! :)

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sam said:
personally, when I think about kicking a door in I dont think of it as senseless. Usually like the house is burning down or someones getting raped in a locked room.

Understandable, but have you ever tried kicking in a door? To see if you have the power or focus to do it under optimal conditions, let alone when someone is in danger or your under extreme stress or moving, etc?

Strikes, when done properly, can cause serious damage to the body, and although you don't need to break to be able to hurt someone, there is a certain amount of reassurance gained knowing that you do have a fair amount of power in your strikes.

Breaking, when breaking properly, demonstrates that you are able to focus and generate power under optimal conditions nothing more. When I say properly I mean using solid techniques, undoctored materials and usually no spacers inbetween your material.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've never poked someone's eyes out but I know how to do it. I've never kicked someone in the knee but I know the right angle. I think the same thing applies here.

But to answer your question, I have kicked a door in.

Latest Discussions