Street BJJ

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just for clarification purposes, this is what I said;

You can add Garry Tonon, Eddie Cummings, the Mendes Bros, the Miyao Bros, and quite a few others to that list.

Hope that helps.
It doesn't. I've never heard of them. Meh.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But then you countered my answer with the notion that I said that I can't defend against leg locks period. I never made that statement.
Well I said can you defend a leg lock from a normal person you answered "no" then went on and on about black brown and purple belts

This seems to be inching into semantics. Are you using "normal" as another word for "majority"? My use for the word "normal" is someone who is just an average person who isn't an incredible athlete, or lives at a Bjj gym. There are Bjj black belts who are teachers, lawyers, cops, doctors, etc., and just happen to have some pretty sick leg locks.
Yes there are normal black belts but is that the average rank in your gym? I think its not, Id venture a guess yours as with most gyms have far more white and blue belts which would be normal at most gyms.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As far as the whole "BJJ mafia" nonsense you keep repeating, I'll say again what I said in another thread. If you have any evidence that any of the BJJ regulars on this board other than Hanzou are in the habit of denigrating other arts or saying that BJJ is the best art in the world, then show it.
If you dont think the statement applies to you then stop worrying about it. If you think Hanzo is the only one your not paying attention

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just for clarification purposes, this is what I said;

You can add Garry Tonon, Eddie Cummings, the Mendes Bros, the Miyao Bros, and quite a few others to that list.

Hope that helps.

Or laughing your *** off at the sheer stupidity of butt scooting on the street..... by anyone even a world class grappler. ;) I don't care who you are if you are butt scooting on the street thinking you are going to leg lock someone you have a world of hurt coming your way and it probably will be sooner rather than later. Let's not get absurd Hanzou! Let's keep the video as the joke it was meant to be!

One of the worst things you can do in any martial endeavor is put people on to high of a pedestal. A world class grappler is a world class grappler usually in the sport that they work out in. Options within that sport do not relate well always to the street. Some times they do and some times they don't! I am sure every person you just mentioned would laugh at the idea of them butt scooting on the street. ;)

I thought we were past this! ;)

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well I said can you defend a leg lock from a normal person you answered "no" then went on and on about black brown and purple belts

You said a normal Bjj person. I said it depends on their rank and skill level.

Let's try to keep things straight.

Yes there are normal black belts but is that the average rank in your gym? I think its not, Id venture a guess yours as with most gyms have far more white and blue belts which would be normal at most gyms.

Indeed it is. However, you never asked what the average rank was in my gym. You asked me if I could defend leg locks from a normal Bjj practitioner. The normal Bjj practitioner is a pretty wide spectrum.

Further, the original point still stands that its pretty hard to stop a leg lock if you've never trained to properly defend against them.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You said a normal Bjj person. I said it depends on their rank and skill level.

Let's try to keep things straight.

Indeed it is. However, you never asked what the average rank was in my gym. You asked me if I could defend leg locks from a normal Bjj practitioner. The normal Bjj practitioner is a pretty wide spectrum.

Further, the original point still stands that its pretty hard to stop a leg lock if you've never trained to properly defend against them.
Normal is pretty straight forward I also said average a few times. If I asked you what the normal or average person in your gym I highly doubt you would describe the black belts in your class.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Normal is pretty straight forward I also said average a few times. If I asked you what the normal or average person in your gym I highly doubt you would describe the black belts in your class.

Okay, well my mistake for misunderstanding the context of what you meant. :rolleyes:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay, well my mistake for misunderstanding the context of what you meant. :rolleyes:
sorry ill try to be more clear next time. I didn't think I needed to spell out normal doesn't = top secret YouTube leg locks that have been developed in deep in the Amazon rain forests and only displayed by top level competitors

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Or laughing your *** off at the sheer stupidity of butt scooting on the street..... by anyone even a world class grappler. ;) I don't care who you are if you are butt scooting on the street thinking you are going to leg lock someone you have a world of hurt coming your way and it probably will be sooner rather than later. Let's not get absurd Hanzou! Let's keep the video as the joke it was meant to be!

One of the worst things you can do in any martial endeavor is put people on to high of a pedestal. A world class grappler is a world class grappler usually in the sport that they work out in. Options within that sport do not relate well always to the street. Some times they do and some times they don't! I am sure every person you just mentioned would laugh at the idea of them butt scooting on the street. ;)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Concrete vs Mats / padded surfaces.
I have scars all over my body from my younger years where my skin slid across concrete surfaces. I wouldn't recommend it. The worst part: You'll think its hurting now but wait until you get into the shower lol.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Concrete vs Mats / padded surfaces.
I have scars all over my body from my younger years where my skin slid across concrete surfaces. I wouldn't recommend it. The worst part: You'll think its hurting now but wait until you get into the shower lol.

Yeah, you should definitely be wearing clothes if you are outside. Clothes help prevent getting scars all over your body from concrete.

OP
K

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, you should definitely be wearing clothes if you are outside. Clothes help prevent getting scars all over your body from concrete.

As Stephan Kesting says, fights don't always happen in speedos on a beach... In most instances you should have clothing on.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lol there is a 60+ year old very hairy fat guy that once a week takes a stroll through town in a Speedo. Its quite the sight to see. He's been doing it for years summer winter rain or shine it doesn't matter. The Speedo comment made me think of him now if You will excuse me I need to go dump soap in my eyes or something to get that vision out of my head

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Unless your every day attire is t-shirt, shorts and flip flops like it is for much of us in the southwest!

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well aware of this and practice from this position. Still, not even remotely a go to position for a fight!

Well you said that it's laughable to even consider the butt scoot in a street/SD scenario period.

So are we agreeing there are street situations where butt scooting is not a laughing matter?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No if you fall/move into a seated position and utilize it then yes it is usable. If you are butt scooting across the floor at someone.... well that is laughable! ;)

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No if you fall/move into a seated position and utilize it then yes it is usable. If you are butt scooting across the floor at someone.... well that is laughable! ;)

So let's say you fell, and landed on your butt. Bad guy is quickly approaching you, and you lack the space, or time to properly back away and stand up; In that scenario, wouldn't it be viable to actually butt scoot towards the bad guy, and attempt a sweep, or leg lock?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So let's say you fell, and landed on your butt. Bad guy is quickly approaching you, and you lack the space, or time to properly back away and stand up; In that scenario, wouldn't it be viable to actually butt scoot towards the bad guy, and attempt a sweep, or leg lock?
if you have enough time and distance to scoot you have enough time to get up

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
if you have enough time and distance to scoot you have enough time to get up

Attempting to stand up with someone barreling down on you actually makes you more vulnerable than staying in the seated position.

Latest Discussions