Techniques in BJJ not found in Judo/Jujustu?

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is a point that comes up every now and the here and as I wrestler I'm curious what all there is. The only thing that comes to mind is the ezekiel choke and maybe the platas but im not sure on that, but hey Im a wrestler!

To make this fun, lets exclude positions like the various guards or basic concepts like shrimping

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are a bunch of techniques in BJJ which are not in the official Kodokan syllabus, but whatever technique you might mention there's always a decent chance you can find some old picture or video of a judoka somewhere doing it 60 years ago. Grapplers are a creative bunch and are always finding new ways to twist their opponents into knots even if they aren't in the official curriculum.

(There are also a bunch of techniques in BJJ which are not widely practiced in Judo because they are against the rules in competition, but many older judoka will emphatically inform you that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't part of the art.)

What BJJ does have is a systematic approach to certain positions that you probably won't find in Judo. (Vice-versa also applies.)

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's also going to greatly depend on what you mean by "jujutsu"… I mean… some of the defences against sword drawing are hard to find in BJJ… same with the usage of kogusoku… or hanbo…

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is a point that comes up every now and the here and as I wrestler I'm curious what all there is. The only thing that comes to mind is the ezekiel choke and maybe the platas but im not sure on that, but hey Im a wrestler!

To make this fun, lets exclude positions like the various guards or basic concepts like shrimping

Leg locks are a pretty big one. They were banned from Judo randori and competition almost a century ago and relegated to kata practice, and even in kata there's only like one or two of them. You're going to be hard pressed to find a Judo dojo that teaches leg locks, much less a Judoka who knows how to do them.

Meanwhile in Bjj, leg locks are entering a sort of renaissance thanks to competitors like Ryan Hall, Eddie Cummings, Eddie Bravo, Masakazu Imanari, Rousimar Palharas, etc. bringing them back to the forefront. You also have Sambo and Catch guys moving into Bjj gyms to add even more leg locks into the system.

The interesting thing about the leg lock explosion in Bjj is how smoothly its been implemented into the guard system, and allowed to open up entirely new avenues of attack, or created new guard positions entirely. While some leg locks are banned in Bjj competition, Bjj's closeness to MMA has kept the practice of leg locks at the forefront of the sport.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We have much cooler gis.
No way. I hate all thoes patches and colors and patterns. White, clean, plain that's where it's at. But then again I have worn a uniform for 20 years so I'm not very original

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No way. I hate all thoes patches and colors and patterns. White, clean, plain that's where it's at. But then again I have worn a uniform for 20 years so I'm not very original

Can't beat no gi rash guards.

fuji-moko-tiger-rashguard.jpg

Yes, I own that one. :)

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Men's HeatGear Shorts, Shirts & Socks - Under Armour
Neat, simple, no frills, no "look at me", no desperate need for attention. You guys run around looking like a peacock
I like the art work on mine. If I'm going to spend $35+ on what is essentially a shirt to sweat in, then I don't see a problem with having a nice graphic on it. I couldn't care less if anyone else likes it or minds me any attention; I like it.

Latest Discussions