Street application of kenpo

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I started him off with a couple of my better fighters so as to watch his control and attitude, we informed him of what you could and could not do in our "brand" of sparring. He looked a little rusty but non the less he obviously had done this before and it turned out to be fine.

Finally he drew me after about 3 or 4 prior matches. We started sparring and I was having fun. He was no match for me but was a big guy to play with (I like that). I hit him with a couple of back fists and worked on my reverse punch and seemed to gain a little more respect than when he first came into the studio and he was showing signs of comfort and his respect seemed to be changing a bit towards our studio as it seemed to remind him somewhat of his old school.

Now I have always like take downs and have developed through the years a fairly good reputation of being good at them. Well, not always can you take someone down when you want to ...... you need several circumstances to be present to make it work easily without forcing the issue. As you might have guessed I had the cards all line up and Boom......... down he went. He was looking up at me smiling at him when he said..... well, that was nice but I hit you with a backfist before you were able to take me down so it would not have been all that effective.

I said....... "really", ok lets see..... so he got up and we sparred around for a few seconds when, Boom down again he went and this time I followed with several kicks and punches which totally overwhelmed him. He got up again and I rushed him with a backfist followed by a strong reverse punch then ridgehand, and swept him again. This brought the whole class to attention as to the commotion that was going on with this new guy and myself. They all noticed that my level of sparring was turned up a notch and I was following up way more than normal. Now he is looking up at me all confused and battered.

I grabbed him by the lapel and stood him up against the wall and told him "Look, you don't come into a studio and tell the instructor that you'd like to sign up but make him feel as if his studio is 2nd rate to your old studio. You had better make sure that the studio you enter isn't better than your old studio, and don't develop an attitude with the main instructor and tell him that his technique was too slow and won't work and that yours will."

At this point he was embarrassed and gassed and apologized. He said he had never been manhandled like that before. I said, well there is more to the Martial Arts World than your particular Ninjitsu studio. Welcome to Ed Parker's American Kenpo and me.

We ended class at this time and he thanked me and left....

He never made it to his last class.

Oh well,.......

:asian:

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

I started him off with a couple of my better fighters so as to watch his control and attitude, we informed him of what you could and could not do in our "brand" of sparring. He looked a little rusty but non the less he obviously had done this before and it turned out to be fine.

Finally he drew me after about 3 or 4 prior matches. We started sparring and I was having fun. He was no match for me but was a big guy to play with (I like that). I hit him with a couple of back fists and worked on my reverse punch and seemed to gain a little more respect than when he first came into the studio and he was showing signs of comfort and his respect seemed to be changing a bit towards our studio as it seemed to remind him somewhat of his old school.

Now I have always like take downs and have developed through the years a fairly good reputation of being good at them. Well, not always can you take someone down when you want to ...... you need several circumstances to be present to make it work easily without forcing the issue. As you might have guessed I had the cards all line up and Boom......... down he went. He was looking up at me smiling at him when he said..... well, that was nice but I hit you with a backfist before you were able to take me down so it would not have been all that effective.

I said....... "really", ok lets see..... so he got up and we sparred around for a few seconds when, Boom down again he went and this time I followed with several kicks and punches which totally overwhelmed him. He got up again and I rushed him with a backfist followed by a strong reverse punch then ridgehand, and swept him again. This brought the whole class to attention as to the commotion that was going on with this new guy and myself. They all noticed that my level of sparring was turned up a notch and I was following up way more than normal. Now he is looking up at me all confused and battered.

I grabbed him by the lapel and stood him up against the wall and told him "Look, you don't come into a studio and tell the instructor that you'd like to sign up but make him feel as if his studio is 2nd rate to your old studio. You had better make sure that the studio you enter isn't better than your old studio, and don't develop an attitude with the main instructor and tell him that his technique was too slow and won't work and that yours will."

At this point he was embarrassed and gassed and apologized. He said he had never been manhandled like that before. I said, well there is more to the Martial Arts World than your particular Ninjitsu studio. Welcome to Ed Parker's American Kenpo and me.

We ended class at this time and he thanked me and left....

He never made it to his last class.

Oh well,.......

Sometimes that is the only way people learn.

OP
K

Kirk

Great story, GD7! Not sure I'd want to be in that guy's shoes
though! hehehe Do you still spar in your studio? What
benefits do you feel come from sparring? We don't spar in
my school, at all. When I took TKD I was told that the point
behind sparring was to give full powered attacks, and know
what it felt like. Also to get a taste of getting hit, and what
it's like to try to attack when someone is attacking you.

I also seemed to notice that on quite a bit of kenpo forums
that a lot of schools around the country don't spar (seems to
be about 50 - 50). Why is it this way with kenpo, and doesn't
seem to be with other styles?

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sparring is extremely important. It is one third of our Art. There are many benefits ...... this will be for a new string me thinks. So look for one today.

As to other studios which choose to do more forms or technique lines vs. sparring......... You'll have to ask them that question.

I'm not a good one to ask that. You may not get an answer you want to hear. LOl

Latest Discussions