Street application of kenpo

J

Jim Micozzi

Greetings everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has utilized their kenpo in the street in order to defend themselves from an attack. Unfortunately, I have had to use my kenpo several times during my career as a police officer in New York City. I look forward to hearing any replies.

Yours in kenpo

Jimmy:

:wavey:

Edited to fix broken smiley - Kaith

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey Jimmy,

I have not had the dubious pleasure of using Kenpo in the street to defend myself but I have a question for you.

Kenpo does not seem like the ideal way for a police officer to defend himself, it seems like you could get yourself into trouble by utilizing the techniques to their fullest extent. How do you bypass this? Do you tailor the response for the situation or do you tend towards more submission and joint locking techniques? Or have you used the awareness training to not put yourself into a bad situation. Or have you just reacted and realized what happened after it was over?

Just curious,
Rob

OP
J

Jim Micozzi

Rob

I really did not have the oppurtunity to use submission or joint locking technique right off. It really won't work unless you first soften the suspect up. When I have to subdue a suspect who will no cooperate and is fighting, I basically just keep hitting the suspect until he goes down and then I might use a wrist lock to control him while he is handcuffed. You will not be able to pull off an entire technique but that is not the reason we learn the techniques. We learn the whole technique in order to have numerous options available to us. We also complete a category when we learn the whole technique.

Yours in Kenpo
Jimmy:

:cool:

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We also complete a category when we learn the whole technique.

Hey Jimmy,

What do you mean by the above quote. Also I would like to get more of a understanding of what you mean by hitting an opponent till he goes down. Have you actually using any Kenpo techniques or just combinations of kicking and punching. When you say 'use' Kenpo are you refering to the techinques/ideas or meaning the overall fighting skills/freestyle that you have learned. Or both of course :)

Thank-You,
Rob

OP
J

Jim Micozzi

quote: We also complete a category when we learn the whole technique.

Rob

If you look at the techniques, you begin to notice that is the majority of them you hit one part of the body, ie the head or torso, then you go to another thereby completing a category.

In regard to using kenpo on the street, I have actually used parts of Thrusting salute, crossing talon, parting wings and dance of death. The key word is PART. It is virtually an impossibilty to pull off the entire technique. As to hitting the person until he is down, that is also a practice in kenpo. Keep hitting until the threat is eliminated.

I hope this helps clarify my earlier statement.

Jimmy
:wavey:

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Jim Micozzi
I was wondering if anyone has utilized their kenpo in the street in order to defend themselves from an attack

Yes.

OP
J

Jim Micozzi

Gou Ronin

Could you elaborate?

Jimmy

:)

OP
G

GouRonin

What exactly are you looking to hear? I've used Kenpo several times to defend myself. However I have never used a full kenpo technique. Bits and pieces used here and there in sequences that they were applicable.

OP
K

Kirk

Originally Posted By Gou Ronin
What exactly are you looking to hear? I've used Kenpo several times to defend myself. However I have never used a full kenpo technique. Bits and pieces used here and there in sequences that they were applicable.

Tell the story. "Once upon a time I was in a bar/theater/whore house/whatever and this guy comes up and ...."

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Kirk
Tell the story. "Once upon a time I was in a bar/theater/whore house/whatever and this guy comes up and ...."

I work with people who have a serious sustained mental illness and often I have to be at the psychiatric institution. One time I was attacked by a guy with a knife and I used a Raining Lance motion to parry the knife.

I have also used a Sword Of Destruction opening block/strike at the Ridout Tavern to stop a sucker punch then open a can of whoopass.

Does that help? I have on occasion put my jock on and gone down to the bar looking to see if my techniques will work. It's interesting to see what works and when.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that I used to be the kinda guy Jim ends up talking to at the end of the night.
:rofl:

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I have bounced in several bars over the years and unfortunately had to utilize what i had learned in class. I was always happy that I had trained hard because it saved my butt but i always felt bad after because even though I had defended myself I still felt like I had lost something in the process. I think there are no real winners in a fight, just one person who survived a little better.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rob_Broad

I have bounced in several bars over the years and unfortunately had to utilize what i had learned in class. I was always happy that I had trained hard because it saved my butt but i always felt bad after because even though I had defended myself I still felt like I had lost something in the process. I think there are no real winners in a fight, just one person who survived a little better.

"Victory goes to the player who makes the next to the last mistake."
-unknown

Cthulhu

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dennis ... I, personally, am proud of the way you handled that situation. I think you're looking for a Gou type of zinger, but there isn't one here. You didn't take anyone out, and you certainly could have. As a matter of fact, I suspect you almost turned it into a teaching opportunity. Name one other person who would have handled it that well??

I used it as an example in one of my classes, and it was accepted with considerable respect from my students. Now ... Wipe that frowny face off and get on with it!:boing2:

Dan

OP
R

Rob_Broad

It is not your fault if a person is too stupid to know how much danger they potentially face. If you handle the situation with civility and and did not lower yourself to level of the offending person then you can keep your head high.

OP
K

Kirk

Have any of you ever been attacked by a student? What was
the situation, and what did you have to do to handle it?

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by Kirk

Have any of you ever been attacked by a student? What was
the situation, and what did you have to do to handle it?

I was once threatened by a beginner because I told him after his free introductory lesson that he was not welcome to be a student at my school. My hysterical laughing really made him rethink the situation, and he left without incident. For years after whenever I would bounce at one of the bars in town he would start to walk in and see me working he would turn around and leave. It just goes to show you people don't always think, and then they have to pay for a long time after.

Latest Discussions