Strangers from Far Off Lands

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the last few years I have had quite a few requests from various people asking for rank recognition, requests to represent my system in their country, requests to send me rank for endorsements and an odd seminar request here and there. Most recent one was in Romania but I have had one in Kazakhstan, another somewhere in the Middle East, Greece, Russia and a couple others I do not recall. I usually just ignore them and those I do not I just send a polite no.

I am no one famous and I find it odd I would even get these requests. Does anyone else of rank get any of this crap or am I a crap magnet?

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Never, but then again I am a pion in my styles (Judo and Kenpo) :)

Maybe you should say yes and then throw in that it will be 1,000,000 USD :s54:

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Had a guy walk into my club once and asked me to test him for rank in my system (Goju-ryu karate) on the spot. He gave me the impression that he actually want to fight with me for the rank.

Odd encounter... I sent him packing posthaste after telling him he really needed to build a relationship with a qualified teacher if he wanted to learn and advance in a particular system.

Never had anyone off the internet solicit me for rank recognition though. :)

OP
Zoran

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
get them to pay for the travel expenses and it could be a good way to see the world.

Thought about it but really not interested. I do not know these people and I am always suspicious.

WingChunIan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I had a guy asking me if he could use my name to open a WC school in thailand. Big sob story about the tsunami etc just made me chuckle, of all the people in the WC world, a world full of celebrities both famous and infamous he picked me lol It had to be a scam, either that or the guy seriously needed to some more research!

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think there are several things that result in you getting so much attention. First, you have a very large internet presence. With most of us, you have to know just what you're looking for to find us. Given that your career involves the internet, it is hard to miss you. Now add to that your name which could conceivably come from any eastern European nation. So, you have people interested in kenpo that have easily found a familiar sounding name that belongs to a well regarded instructor of said art.

Just my thoughts on it. :)

OP
Zoran

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I think there are several things that result in you getting so much attention. First, you have a very large internet presence. With most of us, you have to know just what you're looking for to find us. Given that your career involves the internet, it is hard to miss you. Now add to that your name which could conceivably come from any eastern European nation. So, you have people interested in kenpo that have easily found a familiar sounding name that belongs to a well regarded instructor of said art.

Just my thoughts on it. :)

Thanks, I thought of the internet presence but completely overlooked my name, which is Serbian.

Latest Discussions