steven seagal

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tactical Knives (Nov. 2003) has an article on Ken Onion's Steven Seagal knife. (See also this thread).

It also says that Steven Seagal gives most of his money to charity and keeps relatively little for himself--just enough to live on, and to buy knives and guns.

K

Kroy

Originally posted by Chicago Green Dragon
Does anybody know if steven segal is making a new movie ?

or what he is up to now?

Thanks

Chicago Green
Dragon :asian:

I hope not! His movies get worse all the time. In his first few movies he seemed to use just Aikido, now he's adding to much crap and it doesnt look good.

K

Kempo Guy

Steven Seagal started Aikido at the Orange County Aikikai under the late Harry Ishisaka sensei and received his shodan there (issued by Koichi Tohei). After receiving his shodan he moved to Japan and apparantly trained at Tohei Sensei's dojo (who at the time had just broken off from the Aikikai to establish the Kinokenkyukai), but later reaffiliated with the Aikikai. He was promoted to 5th Dan by his father-in-law (the head instructor at the time of the Tenshin Aikido dojo in Osaka).

As for his sixth and seventh dan, they were issued by the Aikikai. After receiving his seventh dan he actually did a demo at the annual Aikikai demonstration that year (forget which year). I heard he was promoted to seventh dan because of his "promotion" of the art through his work... :shrug:

BTW, Steven Seagal was a Karate student of Fumio Demura Sensei and received at least his shodan prior to his involvement in Aikido.

FWIW, I have had the opportunity to train with Take-sensei (Seagal) and Matsuoka sensei (Seagal's highest ranked student) several years ago and found their techniques to be quite strong.

KG

K

kenpo2dabone

... was by far his best movie. It was downhill from there. Oh and someone needs to take him aside and teach him how to run. Sorry I couldn't resist. LOL to Mr Seagal.

Salute,
Mike Miller UKF

K

Kroy

Oh and someone needs to take him aside and teach him how to run.

:rofl: I was going to mention that.

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Infight said:
The most important thing Seagal did was Marketing of Aikido, i know it doesnt need it, but its ever good a free marketing isnt? Even the best MA need some promotion some times.

Unfortunately, here in Indonesia thousands of young men flocked to Aikido dojo and train not because of Uyeshiba sensei's love and harmony philosophy but because "I want to become a bighero like Steven Seagal and get all those beautiful girls". :(

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jujutsu_indonesia said:
Unfortunately, here in Indonesia thousands of young men flocked to Aikido dojo and train not because of Uyeshiba sensei's love and harmony philosophy but because "I want to become a bighero like Steven Seagal and get all those beautiful girls". :(
But that's the magic of the marketing...tons of people flock in, realize it isn't hollywood and quit and the ones that truly find a love for the art stay around and increase the ranks of aikido.

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
theletch1 said:
But that's the magic of the marketing...tons of people flock in, realize it isn't hollywood and quit and the ones that truly find a love for the art stay around and increase the ranks of aikido.

Well at least some stays :)

I just hope that those who stays and get black belts doesn't strut around thinking that they are the next version of Steven Seagal :D

M

madfrank

Isn't anyone going to mention about him getting battered by Gene LeBell or backing down from a challenge by Bob Wall?

Steven

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
madfrank said:
Isn't anyone going to mention about him getting battered by Gene LeBell or backing down from a challenge by Bob Wall?

Steven

Does it matter if he back down or not, accepting all challenges are just in my mind Stupid. I believe he has the right to his ways.
Terry

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
First, I will state that Mr. Seagal is not that high on my list of folks that can act or being looked at as a role model, but on his behalf, not accepting a challenge was a prudent decision. If he took the challenge, what would it have proved? If it was just a sparring match, then it would prove nothing. I don't think Aikido players do much if any sparring, so one would assume that it would have turned into something along the lines of a real altercation and with that, nobody wins..........

As for the Labell encounter, I have heard.......repeat, "heard" from other's that it was not a "beat down" as folks like to elude too. Story goes that they were at some sort of seminar and were talking when Mr Labell came up behind him and put him in a full nelson. Two elements come into play here, if this story is true. First, being put into any hold by Mr. Labell is like being put in a vise, so people say. One would be hard pressed to get released, without some sort of injury happening to either party. Again, a no win situation for either party, but it did favor Mr. Labell for he was in control. Secondly, not being in an aware position that someone might do something to you, your guard would not be up/heightened, because you feel your not in a situation where you need to be aware. All in all, from this story, again if true, Mr Seagal was in a no win situation regardless.

M

madfrank

Brad Dunne said:
First, I will state that Mr. Seagal is not that high on my list of folks that can act or being looked at as a role model, but on his behalf, not accepting a challenge was a prudent decision. If he took the challenge, what would it have proved? If it was just a sparring match, then it would prove nothing. I don't think Aikido players do much if any sparring, so one would assume that it would have turned into something along the lines of a real altercation and with that, nobody wins..........

Now the truth.

He was bad mouthing off one of Walls friends putting down his MA so wall offered him out.

Then Segal bottled.

If you cant walk the walk dont talk the talk.

As for the Labell encounter, I have heard.......repeat, "heard" from other's that it was not a "beat down" as folks like to elude too. Story goes that they were at some sort of seminar and were talking when Mr Labell came up behind him and put him in a full nelson. Two elements come into play here, if this story is true. First, being put into any hold by Mr. Labell is like being put in a vise, so people say. One would be hard pressed to get released, without some sort of injury happening to either party. Again, a no win situation for either party, but it did favor Mr. Labell for he was in control. Secondly, not being in an aware position that someone might do something to you, your guard would not be up/heightened, because you feel your not in a situation where you need to be aware. All in all, from this story, again if true, Mr Seagal was in a no win situation regardless.

Not even nearly true.

I heard my version from one of LeBells students.

Segal was, as is he is well known in MA circles to do, going hard on his stunt men.

Unfortunately for him they were LeBells men.

So LeBell asked him if he fancied a one on one with him.

Fair play to him he did.

But he ended up unconscious and wetting himself.

Segal sounds like a jerk to me from all I hear of him.

And his grades are well open to suspicion.

MF

Dan G

Green Belt
Reaction score
kenpo2dabone said:
... was by far his best movie. It was downhill from there. Oh and someone needs to take him aside and teach him how to run. Sorry I couldn't resist. LOL to Mr Seagal.

Salute,
Mike Miller UKF

:rofl: Glad you mentioned the running...

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
madfrank said:
Not even nearly true.

I heard my version from one of LeBells students.

Segal was, as is he is well known in MA circles to do, going hard on his stunt men.

Unfortunately for him they were LeBells men.

So LeBell asked him if he fancied a one on one with him.

Fair play to him he did.

But he ended up unconscious and wetting himself.

Segal sounds like a jerk to me from all I hear of him.

And his grades are well open to suspicion.

MF
I do not understand your reasoning for your post, if you know the stories why ask the question. I had not heard the Bob Wall story, but the Lebell story I heard basically the same as what you said, but I was not there so I will not comment on either of them. I have seen his (Mr. Seagal) Aiki and it is really good and he is a skilled practitioner and that is all that really matters, as to his character I have never met the guy, but I have talked to him on the phone, he seemed nice enough to me.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
since everyone's got Seagal stories, I'll do one I heard from Jason Delucia. back in early-1990's, Seagal put an ad in Black belt magazine. it said you could challenge him, in his dojo, but be prepared to fight to the death. Jason showed up to his dojo to accept the offer and Mr. Seagal never showed. twice.
I heard Rorion Gracie also challenged him, but this I'm not sure.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Does it matter if he back down or not, accepting all challenges are just in my mind Stupid. I believe he has the right to his ways.
Terry

Hear, hear! I'm sure Mr. Seagal is a skilled martial artist. However, what I've heard of his personal life isn't complimentary. Still, I've never met the man and will reserve judgement as to what he is really like until (unlikely) I do.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Which is more important to this forum his personal life or his ability to pass on his art.
I have never met him but know people whom have trained with him ( however briefly) and they all said his technique was good and that he tried hard to help his students do their best

Latest Discussions