steven seagal

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
Which is more important to this forum his personal life or his ability to pass on his art.
I have never met him but know people whom have trained with him ( however briefly) and they all said his technique was good and that he tried hard to help his students do their best
Some folks will say that his personal life and his art are intertwined to the point that one has as much affect on his students as the other. I'm of the camp that believes that the personal life only affects his students if they develop a personal relationship with the man. I'm always very slow to get close to an instructor. As long as his students are simply students and are learning what they are there to learn then his personal life can be seperated (to an extent) from his art. Yes, there are times (see horror stories forum) when the personal life is too far out there to allow an instructor to simply teach an art but even with all of Seagals excentricities(sp) I still believe that his abilities within the art of aikido makes him a worthwhile instructor.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing is for sure with Steven Seagal is that he will always have
people who dislike him and people who like him. This goes with his
being a celebrity. As to the stories I have read on here, who knows
most seem second of third hand accounts so I will reserve my
judgement on him until we talk in person.

Having said that I had a chance to watch a DVD on him put out
by one of his students and it was good. Seagal certainly is an
Aikidoist who appears to be able to make his stuff work. His size
and technique make him effective with what he does.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
Having said that I had a chance to watch a DVD on him put out
by one of his students and it was good. Seagal certainly is an
Aikidoist who appears to be able to make his stuff work. His size
and technique make him effective with what he does.

Yes sir this is what I have heard and this is what I like to hear. Mr. Seagal is certainly a competent aikido teacher or else the Aikikai will not give him that teaching license (shihan-menkyo).

however I think he should at least said something in his interview, something like "what I am doing in my movies is MOVIE DO not AIKIDO, MOVIE DO is to impress and entertain viewers, AIKIDO is to learn love and harmony. If you want to be like me go to Hollywood. If you want to learn Master Uyeshiba's art, go to Aikido Dojo". This will prevent undesirable elements to enroll to Aikido dojos thinking that they will be the next Mr. Seagal.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
JujutsuIndonesia,

Hard to disagree with your line of thought.
I believe that most people entering aikido
schools here in the states are probably
interested in effective self defense and
spiritual enlightenment. Steven Seagal
is probably bringing in some who see what
he does and want to be effective in a self
defense situation. I do not believe a lot
of thugs are attracted to Aikido here in
the states. I could be wrong though. I
will let the experienced Aikidoist's comment
on that.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Hear, hear! I'm sure Mr. Seagal is a skilled martial artist. However, what I've heard of his personal life isn't complimentary. Still, I've never met the man and will reserve judgement as to what he is really like until (unlikely) I do.

I agree. It seems to me the only thing this guy is guilty of is story-telling and believing his own press. Although I hardly support that kind of behavior, he isn't the first martial artist to go down that road. I do think his Aikido is the real deal though and if I ever had the opportunity to study under him I would.

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
madfrank said:
Not even nearly true.

I heard my version from one of LeBells students.

Segal was, as is he is well known in MA circles to do, going hard on his stunt men.

Unfortunately for him they were LeBells men.

So LeBell asked him if he fancied a one on one with him.

Fair play to him he did.

But he ended up unconscious and wetting himself.

Segal sounds like a jerk to me from all I hear of him.

And his grades are well open to suspicion.

MF

Not saying I know all that much about the story as I don't to be honest. But surely if this is the version of events from on of LeBells student's then it's going to sound complimentary on LeBell's behalf? Seagal may or not be a tosser in real life, I'd have to reserve judgement unless i met him as I don't think you should believe everything you read in the papers. I've seen some demo footage of him doing his thing and he looks like he moves really well though. But then again, if you recorded (and edited!) me in the right way, I'd look like a great mover too!:)

M

madfrank

ppko said:
I do not understand your reasoning for your post, if you know the stories why ask the question. I had not heard the Bob Wall story, but the Lebell story I heard basically the same as what you said, but I was not there so I will not comment on either of them. I have seen his (Mr. Seagal) Aiki and it is really good and he is a skilled practitioner and that is all that really matters, as to his character I have never met the guy, but I have talked to him on the phone, he seemed nice enough to me.

I didnt ask about them?

I was expressing suprise no one had mentioned them yet.

MF

M

madfrank

swiftpete said:
Not saying I know all that much about the story as I don't to be honest. But surely if this is the version of events from on of LeBells student's then it's going to sound complimentary on LeBell's behalf? Seagal may or not be a tosser in real life, I'd have to reserve judgement unless i met him as I don't think you should believe everything you read in the papers. I've seen some demo footage of him doing his thing and he looks like he moves really well though. But then again, if you recorded (and edited!) me in the right way, I'd look like a great mover too!:)

Hi

Well his wife left him on the grounds of his violence towards her.

And on his now defunct website he claimed he was a reincarnation of a famous Buddhist deity, having trouble reconciling the two.

There are several stories of his backing down from fights and I have seen no argument from him yet, you do the math.

If someone went around saying I backed down from him and I didnt I think id make a point of rectifying this.(But then again he is a Deity)

Gene LeBell has no reason to bolster his rep neither does Bob Wall.

MF

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
madfrank said:
I didnt ask about them?

I was expressing suprise no one had mentioned them yet.

MF
You shouldn't have been surprised. As a general rule on the MT aikido forum if it isn't complimentary or doesn't further the art it isn't discussed. While there are times when an individual commits an act within the aiki world that is beyond heinous and must be discussed for the safety of others who may train with the individual we generally don't get into the bashing that is beginning to take place here.

ps, are you aware that the bold and underlined text comes across almost as if they were all caps? It seems as if you were yelling all your text.

A

aikiwolf

FWIW I can't stand false information.
Steven Seagal's website is not defunct. It was down over a year ago while it was updated, but other than that????
Steven Seagal never claimed to be a Buddhist Diety,
he was recognized "[FONT=Verdana,][FONT=Verdana,] as a Reincarnation of the Treasure Revealer
Chungdrag Dorje of Palyul Monastery" by H.H. Penor Rinpoche.
Penor Rinpoche states, "
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,][FONT=Verdana,]In the case of Steven Seagal, he has been formally recognized as a tulku, but has not been officially enthroned. He has also not undergone the lengthy process of study and practice necessary to fully realize what I view as his potential for helping others. When I first met him, I felt he had the special qualities of a tulku within him. According to the Great Vehicle (Mahayana) of the Buddhist tradition, all beings have within them the potential for becoming Buddhas. With Steven Seagal I perceived this potential to be particularly strong as accords with being a tulku. In the past, whenever I have met someone that I feel is a tulku, I have always consulted with other masters of the Nyingma lineage such as Dudjom Rinpoche, Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche and other senior lineage holders. Similarly, after my experience of meeting Steven Seagal, I consulted with another important Nyingma master and with his concurrence, recognized Steven Seagal as a tulku."

Challenges? Speak to those who knew him during his days in Osaka. He would only have everything to lose and nothing to gain by accepting a challenge now. If he loses, it's bad. If he wins, I'm sure headlines would say something like, "Badass or a$$hole?".
If a MA wanted to test themselves, they wouldn't go after a celebrity, they'd attack a featured instructor at a big seminar.

I really don't get people making negative statements about Steven Seagal. Have you spoken with him? Have you trained at his seminars? Do you know how much work he does privately to help stop abuse of animals and give aid to various monastaries? He definitely isn't a 'saint' by any stretch, but don't believe everything you read. Talk to the man himself, then make your decision. ... At least that's what I think.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most of the 'challenge' stories invol ving martial artists are exaggerated beyond the point of believability. I'll wait until I read it in Time or Newsweek.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
madfrank said:
There are several stories of his backing down from fights and I have seen no argument from him yet, you do the math.

If they are true, and I suspect some are given human nature, than good for him! You never fight on the street unless you have to protect yourself or others - not because some punk challenged you.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
theletch1 said:
You shouldn't have been surprised. As a general rule on the MT aikido forum if it isn't complimentary or doesn't further the art it isn't discussed. While there are times when an individual commits an act within the aiki world that is beyond heinous and must be discussed for the safety of others who may train with the individual we generally don't get into the bashing that is beginning to take place here.

Good point.

BTW, whatever one thinks personally of Mr. Seagal, hearsay is just that, hearsay.

T

TheBattousai

I only have one thing to say about this subject (Yes My two cents).

I hope things improve for him and that everything will get better (rumors, attitude, movies, etc.) and that we can all become proud once again that he represents the MAs.

wer

White Belt
Reaction score
Shogun said:
since everyone's got Seagal stories, I'll do one I heard from Jason Delucia. back in early-1990's, Seagal put an ad in Black belt magazine. it said you could challenge him, in his dojo, but be prepared to fight to the death. Jason showed up to his dojo to accept the offer and Mr. Seagal never showed. twice.
I heard Rorion Gracie also challenged him, but this I'm not sure.

There's more to the story, and it's still good. Jason wound up going to the dojo every day, given permission from Haruo Matsuoka Sensei to observe his classes. Jason gives Matsuoka Sensei a lot of credit for his Aikido.

While he was in town. Jason heard about the Gracie challenge. So he took it and fought Royce in Royce's dojo. resulting in the famous video on Gracie JiuJitsu in Action II (and all over the web) of the "Kung Fu practitioner wearing yellow trunks." That dojo challenge led to Jason's being invited to fight in UFC. So it's a good thing he went looking for Steven Seagal to answer his challenge, since it set in action an important chain of events.

Jason recently posted this on an Aikiweb thread about Steven Seagal:

Jason DeLucia on AikiWeb said:
i've always envisioned an empty handed match with rules of sumo ,judo ,or strictly sword hand , or any rules he decides .i never met the man
but it would be an honor .

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I really don't get people making negative statements about Steven Seagal. Have you spoken with him? Have you trained at his seminars? Do you know how much work he does privately to help stop abuse of animals and give aid to various monastaries?
the way a person carries themselves says a ton about their character. in seagal's case, he seems like an *******. I've never met him. I hear his aikido is pretty good, but the ability to beat someone up with it is not exactly what is was created for. It might be cool to meet him. he has inspired so many people, I xcan respect that. so he might be a really good human being, but he just kinda comes off as a jerk. sorry. but he does.

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I do not like thee Steven Seagal
the reasons why i cannot tell
but this i know, and know full well.
i do not like thee Steven Seagal:asian:

Latest Discussions