State of Mind when Fighting?

BeeBrian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What is your opinion on state of mind with regards to combat?

Generally speaking, is it better to be angry, energetic, and jacked up with adrenaline to win a fight? Or is it better to be calm, focused, and precise?

I consider this thing to be very very fundamental. It's kinda like... if you don't pay attention to this, why pay attention to that? Why worry about your macronutrient intake if you are consistently dehydrated? Why buy a book about entrepreneurship if you're unemployed? Why run before walk?

See what I'm saying?

Which is better for what reason?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Combat, a self-defensive fight, competition?
Your state of mind had better be to win.
Combat - kill or be killed.
Self-defense - Leave or Control or Control and get away or Survive and get away.
Competition - Know the rules, set the opponent up and win or Control the tempo, control the area, control the engagement and have the most points.
They are all different; different strategies, different mindset, different rules of engagement. The effects of the adrenaline dump (and you Will Have the dump) is the same. What one should do is be accustom to the dump, its effects and how to control it. The more you are in the 'combat/fight' environment the less you will be controlled by it.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

無心

Generally speaking, is it better to be angry, energetic, and jacked up with adrenaline to win a fight?

Good gods, no.

Or is it better to be calm, focused, and precise?

Yep.

Of course, the caveat has to be made that, in an actual event, you will feel adrenalised… that's just the way it happens. But the angry, energetic, jacked up thing? Nope, not at all.

I consider this thing to be very very fundamental. It's kinda like... if you don't pay attention to this, why pay attention to that? Why worry about your macronutrient intake if you are consistently dehydrated? Why buy a book about entrepreneurship if you're unemployed? Why run before walk?

Well, leaving off the fact that none of the similes you use are really in any way related or similar, yeah, mindset is fundamental… it's fundamental to all martial arts… you can't train in Japanese arts without having it as a base corner stone to everything you do.

See what I'm saying?

Honestly? Not really.

The problem with any emotional extreme is that it twists and alters your perception… which is where we get phrases like "blinded by rage"… "frozen with fear"… "rose-coloured glasses" etc from. That's where the concept of mushin (無心) comes into it. It fairly literally refers to "no mind"… and is a way of attaining a lack of those emotional extremes (among other features). It is absolutely basic and fundamental to all Japanese martial arts, and really is simply the Japanese expression of what is required for any combative system.

In other words, the excitable, angry guys aren't the ones to watch out for… it's the ones who are in control… quiet… focused. The ones who are aware of exactly what's going on…

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Generally speaking, is it better to be angry, energetic, and jacked up with adrenaline to win a fight? Or is it better to be calm, focused, and precise?

See what I'm saying?

I'd say definitely the calm, focused mind is better than the other. Of course, this can be easier said than done. I say this, because usually Martial Arts that are portrayed in the movies, tends to show the 'good guy' with the calm state of mind. Of course, it's just that...a movie. I'm not saying that there aren't people out there today, that are like that, but I don't think it's the norm.

On the flip side, I think that having some anger to go along with the adrenal rush, is a good thing...providing that you don't let it get the better of you. I think it's safe to say that the average person will feel some anger during a confrontation. If your head isn't in it, you're probably not going to do too well.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ancient Britain was a little like that. Guess which the Romans where!

OP
B

BeeBrian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ancient Britain was a little like that. Guess which the Romans where!

Calm?

I was playing chess with a really sharp guy a few months ago and he told me that I fight like the Greeks and he fights like the Romans.

I was gobbling up everything and trying to overwhelm him with my aggression. He was being prudent and planning counterattacks.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calm?

I was playing chess with a really sharp guy a few months ago and he told me that I fight like the Greeks and he fights like the Romans.

I was gobbling up everything and trying to overwhelm him with my aggression. He was being prudent and planning counterattacks.

About right. Discipline in front of a few thousand blue noses must have been quite entertaining. The Greeks were not that removed from the Romans, but with measured aggression I would say. Looking at the two.

OP
B

BeeBrian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
About right. Discipline in front of a few thousand blue noses must have been quite entertaining. The Greeks were not that removed from the Romans, but with measured aggression I would say. Looking at the two.

Alexander reigned in a more ancient time. Romans were more like classical antiquity than ancient.

In my understanding, the further you go back in time, the more morale-dependent armies were.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
my state of mind before combat:
win or at least survive to fight another day
strike hard and fast at specific targets do not just flail away hoping to hit something vulnerable
keep my mind as calm as possible in the given situation

OP
B

BeeBrian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This reminds me of a time when I fought a bully. I was young, he was young, we both just barely reached puberty. He was strong, I tell you that. There were kids bigger than him, yet he could arm wrestle them to submission. However, I was popular for being the only kid in my age group in that school who could do 20 strict push ups. And I had a few fights under my belt.

But when I fought him, he was alarmingly relaxed... He was never phased by my pretty-looking punches. He simply cocked his fist and rammed it on my temple.

He seemed to know what he was doing...

Later that day, my other classmates told me that he was actually a seasoned street fighter...

Lol

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alexander reigned in a more ancient time. Romans were more like classical antiquity than ancient.

In my understanding, the further you go back in time, the more morale-dependent armies were.

Yes but don't forget that Rome was already established so is counted as classical as you say, but still ancient. Yes one could argue that the Romans harnessed morale as a weapon, as well as instilling this in the legionary. Probably was a greater issue with the advent of the auxiliary.

BMhadoken

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
But when I fought him, he was alarmingly relaxed... He was never phased by my pretty-looking punches. He simply cocked his fist and rammed it on my temple.

Thing about a lot of bullies or other folks who rely on violence to meet their goals; they tend to learn that behavior at home. What are your teeny little punches compared to daddy's drunken rages?

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Calm?

So who won?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thing about a lot of bullies or other folks who rely on violence to meet their goals; they tend to learn that behavior at home. What are your teeny little punches compared to daddy's drunken rages?

Even worse when it is the other female parent..

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mark three of my best posts in your opinion with a Like and I'll answer that question.

Want a clue? Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd Mayweather.

Friendly word of advice here… cutesy answers like this won't endear you to anyone. Honestly, you just come across as immature and childish. If you don't want to answer, that's fine… but these games don't help anything.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The thing about state of mind is you don't have time to fix it. So it becomes a bit of a non issue.

Although having said that I like to rage out a bit. Sort of.