"Starter" weapon?

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
While snubbies do have a role, I generally recommend a compact or sub-compact auto for day-to-day concealed-carry. Something like the Glock 26 or 27 is going to be much easier to shoot, has twice the capacity, better sights, much quicker reloads, etc

I agree. My two main carry guns are a Glock 27 and Smith 642. When wearing shorts & t-shirt, the J .38 in an appendix holster just disappears. You can bend over and pick up a dime and no one is the wiser. BUT, when push comes to shove, the Glock 27 is way better a gun.

So in the cooler days, I pack the 27, in the super hot Texas summer, I pack the 642 and the 27 is in the car console.

But if I lived near the Canadian border, where it's cooler, the Glock 27.. or a Glock 19/23/32 is the way to go.

Deaf

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Oh, and guys, I came across a Charter Arms Pather Finder .22, 3 inch barrel, mint, old model made in Stratford, Conn. The old gent wants $190 bucks (plus tax.)

Now that little six shot .22 is a good starter gun if revolvers are your game.

I just might get it to!

Deaf

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but many popular handguns for SD have .22 kits available.

For example, my wife and I both have a CZ P-01 for CC. We chose the gun based on caliber (9mm) platform (DA/SA, Decocker) and ergonomics (Fit in the hand, trigger reach, trigger pull etc) and it was a gun BOTH of us like and can use (ammo compatibility in the house, mag compatibility, holster compatibility etc). We have the CZ kadet kit for them. This allows us to shoot .22 rounds out of our CZ's. Doubles as a "starter gun" while allowing cheap practice with what will be your main SD platform.

Of course, I have many other firearms, but the CZ's are used as the main SD pistols for the reasons stated above. Other makers offer .22 kits as well, so while a "noob" you can decide on a gun you like very much for SD and pick up a .22 kit for it.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Conversion kits are a great asset. A friend of mine has an Advantage Arms kit for the Glock that we use a lot during our training sessions. Other companies like Ciener make them for 1911's and AR-15's, and Kimber makes their own for their pistols.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Conversion kits are a great asset. A friend of mine has an Advantage Arms kit for the Glock that we use a lot during our training sessions. Other companies like Ciener make them for 1911's and AR-15's, and Kimber makes their own for their pistols.

And the neat thing is, if you get a .40 or .357 Sig Glock, you can get the factory OEM Glock barrel for the other cartridge (that is, if you have a .40, you can get the .357 Sig barrel and vice-versa.) The .40 or .357 Sig mags work with the other round as actually they are the same mags with just the markings different.

And from Lone Wolf a 9mm barrel made for the .40/.357 Sig drops right in. All you need is a 9mm magazine and you have a 9mm! I have a friend who is a Lumis armored car guard and he has his Glock 22, .40, with a 9mm barrel. Works fine.

And yes, an AACK .22 unit for the Glock. That makes four guns in one! .40 S&W, .357 Sig, 9x19, and .22 lr.

A neat idea.

Deaf