Square punches vs fully twisting hands

Discussion in 'Beginners Corner' started by amateur, Jan 10, 2019.

1. amateur

amateur Orange Belt

Recently, in my 'bone conditioning' thread, someone posted an article claiming that square punches are more accurate than the ones thrown by twisting hands. I don't know what to believe. I'm waiting for your debates. Go!

2. Martial D

Martial D Senior Master

What do you mean by 'square punches'?

There are a lot of ways to throw punches.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Can you be clearer in your terms? I'm not familiar with the term "square punch".

I will say this: generally, softer, shorter punches are easier to deliver with precision than harder, longer punches. But it depends more upon how you are trained, and the level of skill developed.

I can't remember from other threads - what is your current formal training?

4. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

The accuracy of a punch is dictated by the user who is throwing them and the opponent who is evading them.. The benefit ofTwisting or non-twisting punches has nothing to do with accuracy.

5. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

Thumb up for speed. Thumb down for authority.

6. jobo

jobo Grandmaster

accuracy only really matters, in that your accurate enough to hit what is possibly a moving target, there are soft er targets, which reduce Duc likely good of you damaging your hand, how important that is depends on if your wearing gloves and how much of a threat the y are to you, clubbing an attacker to the floor and damaging your hand may be a worth while trade off

the effectiveness of a punch is, a mix of strength, techniques and most importantly timing, spinning the fist, justs adds a level of complexity to the movement, that isn't really necessary, it doesn't make it better or worse,

7. Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    If you are referring to the vertical punch versus the torque punch thrown by different martial arts disciplines, I don't have an answer for you. The style I train in is Isshinryu, known by many for its distinctive vertical punch. I find it preferable to the torque punch thrown by other karate styles. I can't say it is better (except in jest), and I likely prefer it because I was trained to use it. Certainly it sucks to be hit hard by someone who knows how to throw a punch, regardless of the method they use to deliver it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1