Sports Illustrated World's Most Dominant Athlete

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There was nothing disrespectful about that photo I posted Buka, or how I posted it, so I am struggling to follow your and Steve's concerns on this, what are they?

That snap I posted showed no more flesh than pics posted showing male fighters. It was clearly also a bit of tongue in cheek, clearly I respect Rousey, and female fighters in general, from my post content. You're entitled to your opinion but to be clear I do not think that photo and in the context is an issue at all so I am a bit confused about what point you are trying to make.

Dude, c'mon.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dana White plans on adding more weight classes for women to the UFC.....so it will be bigger......the smaller promotions, like yours, will stay just that: smaller promotions-a minor league step on the way to the big show, the UFC....that is, quite simply, the way it is......

...as for dominance, if there were no weight divisions in MMA, Ronda Rousey would likely beat everyone at the top of MMA, of any weight, from any promotion, from any country.....she really is just that good

Asian leagus might pick up. One fc for example, Bellator may even get a boost if the ufc goes for uniforms and you get fighters defecting.

Some of the other leagues pay more as well.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And of course the go to promotion of the year.

Airlie beach fight night.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
FWIW, Tez, I don't get the impression that her nationality is the salient point here, although I do believe that if she were English, you'd like her. But that's just nationalism and we're all succeptible to it. I don't believe for a second you dislike Rousey because she's American.

What is troubling to me is the phenomenon where we want something, but then undermine it when we see it. In this case, you are a staunch and sincere advocate for women in combat sports. You have all of this experience and have really done your part to advance the cause.

As I said before, it seems as though you don't like Rousey because she's too good. She's too successful and too dominant. You want women to succeed, but you want them to all do it together. You've said as much in this thread, when you talk about the collective talent that's out there, invisible but just as skilled and just as deserving as Rousey.

I get this impression because you aren't rooting for someone else; rather, you're rooting against Rousey. That's telling. It's not that you like other fighters better (though surely, you do). It's always how you DON'T like Rousey. That's, in part, what givesme the impression that your beef with her is that she's making clear the lack of depth in the division. She's exposing how thin the talent pool really is right now. It's much easier to believe that the other women ARE that good and that they COULD compete against Rousey, but it's the big, bad UFC conspiring to protect their fighter. This isn't reality, though. Right now, there isn't anyone in Rousey's league. If there were, it would be good for the sport, good for the division and would make the UFC a lot of dough. Wins all around.

Truthfully, though, even the women who are getting demolished in the cage with Rousey are benefiting. They are gaining a lot of notoriety, which in turn is encouraging other young women to train in a sport they'll love, and also providing a vehicle for these other women to earn livings as coaches and trainers down the road. While Tate or Zingano may never be in the same league as Rousey, they're very, very good. And while I don't think there's anyone in the professional ranks right now who could be Rousey, it's possible that the person who surpasses Rousey could come from Tate's gym, or Zingano's gym.

And, hey, there's always a puncher's chance one of them will get lucky. That's happened to some of the best.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
really taken over the combat sports market from boxing.
I bought into that hype too, but the amount of hype and money generated by the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight though has shot that myth right out of the water though.

Sky Box Office has spent years and made millions selling boxing matches to UK fans, hell they even sell WWE on box office. If they thought for one second they could make anything like the same money selling MMA they'd be all over it.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The UFC charges from £80 up to £400 for tickets, the smaller shows charge on average £30 so why do you think people will go to small shows and not the UFC when it does come here, plus the cost of travelling and hotels makes going to the UFC very expensive, a show in your local town not so much but of course you didn't think didn't you? The last UFC here was in the Republic of Ireland, not the UK, to get there would require a flight or a long road journey then a ferry then another long drive, plus a couple of nights in a hotel, plus the price of a ticket, any guesses why the UFC isn't as popular to go to when it's going to cost more than a grand to go as opposed to thirty quid? Perhaps you can afford a thousand pounds to go to a fight night but most here can't.
The UFC is shown on a very small channel here which is run by British Telecom, a telephone and internet provider. It's not shown on Sky or the big terrestrial channels.
Nothing I posted is not true, spin and twist it as you want but it won't change that.

To be fair, that's basically how it is in the US, too. You have to travel like 500 miles and stay in a hotel room to a see a match that costs hundreds of dollars a ticket - or pay money to watch it on pay-per-view. It's not like they show the matches live on national TV. That doesn't diminish the popularity of it, though.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dude, please.

That was a great reply. Gave me a big smile.

As for the photos - I have nothing against photos like that, but I think in the context of the conversation concerning the thread title, it doesn't fit. But, then, while I was driving to work today I thought "that thread was getting heated, maybe those foolish pics will lighten the mood." And maybe not.

Anyway, no worries, each to his own opinion. I just don't think they have any place in the conversation.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought into that hype too, but the amount of hype and money generated by the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight though has shot that myth right out of the water though.

Sky Box Office has spent years and made millions selling boxing matches to UK fans, hell they even sell WWE on box office. If they thought for one second they could make anything like the same money selling MMA they'd be all over it.

The Pacquiao and Mayweather fight generated money that boxing may never see again. Meanwhile the UFC just keeps on putting on shows every month and growing their overall sales. Sky may not be making money selling the UFC in England yet but DirectTV, CoxCable, etc. are making serious dollars selling the UFC here in the States. In 2014 when Weidman and Silva fought for the second time the guesstimated overall sales were somewhere around $66,645,000 with 1.1 million pay per view buys and 6.2 million at the gate. Certainly not Pacquiao of Mayweather money but none the less pretty good for just one show out of a dozen or more. UFC estimated value is somewhere around 3.5 Billion and growing regularly.

What is really telling is that other than Pacquiao or Mayweather nobody knows who is even boxing anymore. Yet, if you ask them about their favorite MMA fighters most people can probably rattle off several names. When the UFC signed their deal with Fox to bring the UFC to prime time on a major network channel that pretty much sealed the deal that they would be the dominate combative sport for the next decade and on.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is important to note that we see the UFC here in the States of the Fox Network regularly for free at times. The same network etc. that has our brand of American Football on it. UFC athletes and their wins are covered on Sportscenter and they get interviewed. Not to mentioned the most mainstream sports magazine ie. Sports Illustrated now covers the UFC as well.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I need to point out that I've never paid as much for a UFC show in Vegas as I have for boxing matches.......and Mayweather v Paquiao was way out of hand for even the nosebleed seats......

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The Pacquiao and Mayweather fight generated money that boxing may never see again. Meanwhile the UFC just keeps on putting on shows every month and growing their overall sales. Sky may not be making money selling the UFC in England yet but DirectTV, CoxCable, etc. are making serious dollars selling the UFC here in the States. In 2014 when Weidman and Silva fought for the second time the guesstimated overall sales were somewhere around $66,645,000 with 1.1 million pay per view buys and 6.2 million at the gate. Certainly not Pacquiao of Mayweather money but none the less pretty good for just one show out of a dozen or more. UFC estimated value is somewhere around 3.5 Billion and growing regularly.

What is really telling is that other than Pacquiao or Mayweather nobody knows who is even boxing anymore. Yet, if you ask them about their favorite MMA fighters most people can probably rattle off several names. When the UFC signed their deal with Fox to bring the UFC to prime time on a major network channel that pretty much sealed the deal that they would be the dominate combative sport for the next decade and on.
At this point, the only thing keeping the UFC and MMA in general from becoming bigger than boxing is the UFC and the culture of MMA.

This is a link to the first of three articles written on the UFC. The Rising Cost of Indifference Sexism Misogyny and Domestic Violence in MMA Part 1 - Women s MMAWomen s MMA

It's a LONG read, but very, very worth it. It is specifically about sexism, misogyny and domestic violence, but also touches on the class action lawsuit being brought against the UFC for its contract and business practices and a lot of the other things that are just flat out keeping the UFC from becoming a mainstream sport.

Let the record show that I am a huge fan of MMA. I'm not a huge fan of the UFC. We need to acknoweledge what it is and also what it is not.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No doubt that is an issue plaguing the UFC but also it is in the NFL, NBA, Hockey, Boxing and any other dominantly male sport. Not to mention Rap, music, entertainment, movie stars, etc. Young men with unlimited money, fame, etc. is probably never a great thing in general.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
No doubt that is an issue plaguing the UFC but also it is in the NFL, NBA, Hockey, Boxing and any other dominantly male sport. Not to mention Rap, music, entertainment, movie stars, etc. Young men with unlimited money, fame, etc. is probably never a great thing in general.
For sure. But the ufc and MMA are craving legitimacy, and are actively incorporating women into the sport.

Boxing is largely ignored, and in the other sports there are segregated leagues, so it's both easier to ignore and harder to address.

I'm not saying that the issues are absent in other areas. But it's not quite the same, either, :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Steve, the day that Fox signed the deal to bring the UFC to a network channel it was legitimized. Since that time I cannot think of a faster
growing sport.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That was a great reply. Gave me a big smile.

As for the photos - I have nothing against photos like that, but I think in the context of the conversation concerning the thread title, it doesn't fit. But, then, while I was driving to work today I thought "that thread was getting heated, maybe those foolish pics will lighten the mood." And maybe not.

Anyway, no worries, each to his own opinion. I just don't think they have any place in the conversation.

Yeah, sometimes the simplest of answers are the best!! : )

Yeah, well I won't say I don't agree with you on the pics : ) I just don't want people thinking I am a caveman, sexist, chauvinist pig (I have enough trouble disabusing my wife of that view!!)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The xfl had a deal with nbc. Didn't make it legit. ;)

Sure it was the XFL that is. It was a legit business, sport, entertainment it just in the end did not have the leadership/money to keep it going. Yet they had a lot of world class athletes many who crossed over to the NFL afterwards.

The UFC is legit and based on their financial earning they are going nowhere!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just wondering something here. I know that I cut it close to the bone sometimes, but I would not slag off an American because they are American, or any other nationality. Question I am asking is how Brit bashing has been deemed acceptable in this thread. There has been some personal attacks on Tez that should not be counted as a wind up, but very unacceptable. I don't believe in airing opinions behind closed doors when I have something to say, hence why I am just asking here?

Hey Transk53 I do not believe there is any Brit Bashing going on in this thread. There are however people who disagree in it. If you feel a post is Brit Bashing in any way please report it to the moderators and they will have a look at it!

Latest Discussions