Sport vs. Street

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually no, it is you who was doing that.
I think I've been more than clear that I made a statement that is opinion, based on the definition I don't use. Nowhere have I said someone else's definition or distinction is wrong - I've just pointed out where it is different from mine.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Agreed, assuming the person training for the ring doesn't always train with gloves and wrist wraps. A boxer, for instance, who is accustomed to only hitting hard with boxing gloves (I should think that would be pretty rare, but I'm not familiar with their training norms) might deliver a punch that damages his hand. This becomes less likely with the smaller MMA gloves, but I'd expect there's still a need to train hard hitting without the padding, for safety (MMA folks can give a better view on that - I haven't ever trained in MMA gloves).

Boxers, Muay Thai, MMA, etc. and fighters who trains and spars up to full power, are very conscious of injuring their hands. Personally, I injured my wrists the most during the first couple of years. Next were the thumbs. Hands were almost always wrapped. Sometimes forgetting to bring them though. This trained me to be conscious of how much risks I should take hitting pads, bags, etc. when I forgot the wraps. With MMA gloves, it gets riskier with and without wraps. MMA fighters trains both with MMA gloves and Boxing gloves and bare hands. This trains the mind to be conscious about breaking the hands, wrist, etc. Fighting in the streets, I'm way more conscious in picking my shots and my precision + power, are leaps and bounds beyond what it was before I was trained. I don't even bother wearing hand wraps any more (for the last 3 years), while going up to full power on 200-300 lb bags for 10-20 rounds straight....rarely hurting my wrists.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I still don't think it was SD. That hasn't changed. What I've tried to clarify is how I make that determination, and that is not an absolute thing - there's a continuum, with several factors, all of which have some potential grey areas. There are some elements of defense in that one instance, but I wouldn't call it self-defense.

It looks like SD to me though.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boxers, Muay Thai, MMA, etc. and fighters who trains and spars up to full power, are very conscious of injuring their hands. Personally, I injured my wrists the most during the first couple of years. Next were the thumbs. Hands were almost always wrapped. Sometimes forgetting to bring them though. This trained me to be conscious of how much risks I should take hitting pads, bags, etc. when I forgot the wraps. With MMA gloves, it gets riskier with and without wraps. MMA fighters trains both with MMA gloves and Boxing gloves and bare hands. This trains the mind to be conscious about breaking the hands, wrist, etc. Fighting in the streets, I'm way more conscious in picking my shots and my precision + power, are leaps and bounds beyond what it was before I was trained. I don't even bother wearing hand wraps any more (for the last 3 years), while going up to full power on 200-300 lb bags for 10-20 rounds straight....rarely hurting my wrists.
Yep. I expected training without gloves would be common for MMA training, for that very reason. Thanks for the confirmation.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Because that one time you encounter that guy cuts you from navel to kidney it's too late to realize that was a bad idea.

Always de-escalate until you dont have another choice.

Depends on your environment. Inner city or the middle class suburbs....or nice rich areas where the cops get there in under 5 minutes rather than 2 hours or the next day....this happened for real in Detroit...some lady was getting home invaded...she heard them from upstairs....called the cops and they came by the next day to check up on her (or to see if they needed to remove her body). What about maximum security prison? You have to take a shower sometime. I went to high school in North Philly, de-escalation is not always the best choice. Sometimes you do need to risk getting slashed. Plenty of knives & guns to go around. It's apart of life there.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Really? OK, I'll bite.

I don't know why you'd need that, but here you go...

ahp chagi , or front kick; yup chagi, or side kick; jillo chagi, or thrusting kick; dolrya chagi, or round kick; dwi chagi, or back kick; bahndae dolrya chagi, or hook kick; bahndall chagi, or crescent kick; hoohrio chagi, or wheel kick; nehryuh jeek gi, or ax kick; and mil a chagi, pushing kick.

What do I win? I'm quite confused about your reference here.

So far as I can tell, NO ONE understands your point. Do you think you can make a concise and conceptual themed declarative of what it is that you are obviously trying very hard to tell everyone.

Those kicks are exclusive to TKD only?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends on your environment. Inner city or the middle class suburbs....or nice rich areas where the cops get there in under 5 minutes rather than 2 hours or the next day....this happened for real in Detroit...some lady was getting home invaded...she heard them from upstairs....called the cops and they came by the next day to check up on her (or to see if they needed to remove her body). What about maximum security prison? You have to take a shower sometime. I went to high school in North Philly, de-escalation is not always the best choice. Sometimes you do need to risk getting slashed. Plenty of knives & guns to go around. It's apart of life there.

Disagree.

I spent a lot of time in inner cities and hoods.

And being able to diffuse a situation calmly with confidence is always the best choice.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No you tell the guy to keep his hands to himself and if he tries again you put him down.

Simple.

But isn't Seymore's, real self defense, is to tell your lady friend to put her breastesses back in their holsters, and get the hell outta there?

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Carry on, though I do really want to know what Fried Rice's original point was/is, sometime. I just had a confusing thought... I may end up agreeing with it.

Let me help you before you go "full retard". Main point = Punching someone really, really hard in the face...works just the same in the streets as it does in the ring...therefore, who's going to be better at this in both occasions? Someone who fights in the ring and spars somewhat regularly at up to full power (by trying to KO their partners) and also (but more) at light & medium power.....or someone who only spars at tip-tap to light power only...and with a mega-ton of various scenarios for all occasions.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yeah it is called nuance. And we dont do that here.
new ants? I think we do, but it's either feast or famine. People either deal in absolutes or deal entirely in nuance.
I never knew this. Makes sense. I always thought it was something else.
I think someone else mentioned, it's from Fight Club. Following pulled from Special Snowflake | Know Your Meme

About
Special Snowflake is a derogatory term widely used on Tumblr to describe someone who often whines about deserving special treatment or sees oneself as exceptionally unique for no apparent reason, similar to the use of the expression check your privilege in the social justice blogosphere.

Origin
On October 15th, 1999, the film Fight Club[1] was released. The film features one of the protagonists, Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt) telling the men looking to join the fight club:

“You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.”

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My team would win, because someone would get doubled teamed right at the start lol. I would have someone hang in the back with the sole purpose of sucker punching the first person that is attacking the guy in front. The guy that would be targeting me will either follow the guy in the back or he will try to double team someone else. The goal would be to take out one person as fast as possible.

If that one guy hangs back, your team would be 4 vs. 5 of theirs at the START. 1 of your guys would be immediately double teamed and clobbered.

Your 1 guy that hangs back to suckerpunch that first, 1 on 1, pair....OK, maybe....but then it's still 4 on 4 now since for that 1 guy of yours to hang back.....he left your 1 guy having to take on 2 of theirs at the start.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Disagree.

I spent a lot of time in inner cities and hoods.

And being able to diffuse a situation calmly with confidence is always the best choice.

Spending a lot of time there is not the same as living there and walking to and from school, there everyday...dealing with ghetto kids for 7 hours there....then hanging out in the streets for many more hours, everyday.....etc. Most of us were in cliques and gangs.

I train with many cops who's beats are in the inner city and many even mentor the kids there...but they go home when it gets dark to their homes in the suburbs.....rarely would any city cops even live there in the ghettos.....and they're legally armed.

Latest Discussions