Spinning kick techniques

M

MantisMan

Amongst the people who I train with there is one set of techniques that is guaranteed to make us all look like flapping geese looking to deposit a very large egg - and that's SPINNING KICKS !

Has anyone got any advice, techiques or gotchas that would help us all to improve our posture, balance and power when performing these tricky manoeuvres?

Your help is appreciated.

Deaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
Break it down in steps.

step 1) pivot to face the back
step 2) twist the upper torso so you will then be facing front again
step 3) optional - I like to point my finger at the target when practicing. Helps to focus on the target
step 4) LET ER RIP dude!

From my experience...breaking a technique down in steps has always helped people fully learn the correct way of doing a technique because it gives you the time to "check" yourself during certain points within the technique.

HTH,

~D~

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Originally posted by Deaf
Break it down in steps.

step 1) pivot to face the back
step 2) twist the upper torso so you will then be facing front again
step 3) optional - I like to point my finger at the target when practicing. Helps to focus on the target
step 4) LET ER RIP dude!

From my experience...breaking a technique down in steps has always helped people fully learn the correct way of doing a technique because it gives you the time to "check" yourself during certain points within the technique.

Ditto.
For me the key to getting the timing down was to make sure I was getting my head around. Also let's you set up your target. It's really all about timing and keeping your balance.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Do some waist/hip drills that many boxers and TKDists do.

What type of spinning kick is it? If it's a back kick, or a spinning hook kick, just try working on the hook part. Then do it.

I don't know what I did, I just practiced and practiced and I got my balance, speed, agility down.

One thing on posture is MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PERFECT technique. A spinning kick is graceful, quick, and accurate it shouldn't be awkward. For me, what I like to do is lean back a bit for an extra reach and to have a bit more balance. And for back spinning kicks, leaning back is very important. You can get more power, more reach, be better balanced, and a bit more accurate. Some may argue that if you don't lean back, then you'll have more control... Not true, because your body will be in an awkward twist that way, you want your body to feel natural. And when you lean back, make sure you are aligned with your body. If you face a mirror and do a spinning kick, your you really shouldn't be able to see your upper body that much other than your head. Your upper body shouldn't be leaning to the left or right for spinning kicks that are above the waist.

Another tip is that your upper body plays a huge role on how your lower body moves. You need to use your upper body for momentum and balance. When you execute the kick, make sure your hands are up and close to your body. They shouldn't be way out there all over the place.

But one important thing... I would suggest you not throw a spinning kick in real life. Even if you see a HUGE opening, it is not recommended because if you perceive wrong, then you run huge risks.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How I teach it is in this manner:
1. Head turns first
2. Feet pivot (toe turn)
3. The foot pivot will start the hips twisting
4. Fire the kick
The trick in the beginning is to turn all the way to be able to fire the kick while looking at your partner. Once you can do the above in stages, then link the moves smoothly. Once you can do the above smoothly and with balance, then I adjust the manuver like this:
1. Pushing off the ankles
2. Fire the hips
3. Bringing the kick around
Your previous training on turning the head will automatically bring it around so that by finish of the kick youe will be able to see your opponent.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

OP
Y

yilisifu

In Yilichuan, a true "spin" is never used because it compromises one's balance. We use an actual "step" rather than a pivot.

OP
S

sweeper

alot of people say spinning kicks aren't usefull in a fight.. but what about a spinning cut kick? I mean the big disadvantage with a spinning kick is it's slower and realy obvious.. it seems you could use the obvious part to draw their attention up than drop into their lower leg..

OP
M

MantisMan

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I have got enough information to make our next few kicking sessions much more "balletic" now.

Interesting that there still seems to be some discussion over the "usefullness" of these kicks. My own opinion is that any skills that has been mastered has a practical purpose in the right circumstances, but I do understand the purists who seek to refine all MA methods down to the most efficient level. Yet, I still admire (and fear) those people whose mastery over their bodies means that even the most "flowery" techniques seem scary.

Posture counts for a great deal in defusing potentially dangerous situations - any cat who faces a dog will demonstrate that!

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"alot of people say spinning kicks aren't usefull in a fight"

Ya alot of people base that on inexperience, ignorance and fear. Like so many other things people don't like. I've never seen a critic that could actually DO the technique. And by DO I mean expertly, but maybe that's the problem...... it does take a long time to become expertly proficient at spinning kicks so if you aren't prepared to put the years of training in then why bother? If you have a sloppy/telegraphed/slow/inaccurate spinning kick then don't consider it as a viable weapon. Took me personally about 10 years to perfect spinning kicks to the point that they are a part of my arsenal, maybe it goes faster for others...I don't know.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Damian Mavis
"alot of people say spinning kicks aren't usefull in a fight"

Ya alot of people base that on inexperience, ignorance and fear. Like so many other things people don't like. I've never seen a critic that could actually DO the technique. And by DO I mean expertly, but maybe that's the problem...... it does take a long time to become expertly proficient at spinning kicks so if you aren't prepared to put the years of training in then why bother? If you have a sloppy/telegraphed/slow/inaccurate spinning kick then don't consider it as a viable weapon. Took me personally about 10 years to perfect spinning kicks to the point that they are a part of my arsenal, maybe it goes faster for others...I don't know.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD
I could do spinning kicks... Along with combat training, I did a lot of demo stuff as a kid just for fun, and it's something like dancing... It's cool if you know it, and you can show off. But, I personally don't find spinning kicks really useful. My most powerful kick is probably my 540 roundhouse, but if I miss... It doesn't take that much effort on the opponent to dodge it, especially when he's able to dodge most your punches. You really shouldn't be fighting with someone who can dodge your punches like that but something like a spinning hook kick, it has to be thrown unexpectedly. In sport TKD, a commonly used technique is the back kick, but it has to be thrown unexpectedly. In a fight, it's much easier to dodge it and grapple the leg than to dodge a punch due to its speed. You might have differing opinions on spinning kicks, but my opinion is that you should use them sparingly.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was replying to Sweeper in my last post Martial Artist in case you thought it was in response to you. I agree with you almost completely Martial Artist. Your using words like "sparingly" and "unexpected" and all I got to say to that is... of course! Heh if it wasn't going to be unexpected then it wouldn't work right? ALL techniques are going to be unexpected or you aren't expert enough to utilise them correctly in whatever situation you are in whether it's sparring, full contact ring fighting or self defence. And by you I dont mean YOU, I mean whoever is launching the technique whether it's a punch, shoot or kick. I have knocked out an attacker on the street with spinning hook kick and knocked out an opponent in Muay Thai with spinning back kick.... so spinning kicks do work for me just peachy great. To me all attacks come with risk, you can cut down on the risk of spinning kick attacks by being able to execute them lightning fast. You can cut down the risk on all techniques the exact same way.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Damian Mavis
I was replying to Sweeper in my last post Martial Artist in case you thought it was in response to you. I agree with you almost completely Martial Artist. Your using words like "sparingly" and "unexpected" and all I got to say to that is... of course! Heh if it wasn't going to be unexpected then it wouldn't work right? ALL techniques are going to be unexpected or you aren't expert enough to utilise them correctly in whatever situation you are in whether it's sparring, full contact ring fighting or self defence. And by you I dont mean YOU, I mean whoever is launching the technique whether it's a punch, shoot or kick. I have knocked out an attacker on the street with spinning hook kick and knocked out an opponent in Muay Thai with spinning back kick.... so spinning kicks do work for me just peachy great. To me all attacks come with risk, you can cut down on the risk of spinning kick attacks by being able to execute them lightning fast. You can cut down the risk on all techniques the exact same way.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD
Yes, I have used spinning kicks in real fights... Spinning hook, 360 roundhouse, and spinning back kicks. Never used a spinning kick in a muay thai tournament, because I never compteted in a muay thai tournament. My opinion on the matter is that X person can have the fastest spinning kick in the world and maintain good technique/composure and balance... But my jab is faster. I'm not a "power smash" fighter in the sense I can knock a 300 pound man 10 feet back with a punch, that takes 3 seconds to prepare. I'm more of the speed type fighter, and no matter how fast my spinning kicks are, I'd rather let the speed of my jabs, crosses, hooks, footwork, simple kicks, and simple locks, takedowns, and throws do the talking. I'm not a flashy type of guy. Okay, I lied, I try to make things as fancy as possible but I will never use them in my main "arsenal".

Latest Discussions