Spinning heel kick vs spinning hook kick

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Again, it varies across systems but in simplest terms that could be said. There is a good bit of mechanical differences between the kicks that just have to be learned through proper training and physical practice.
I am certainly good enough at writing to succinctly detail the differences. But the do exist beyond what you describe.
Even within a given kick the how/when/why will be different at advanced levels.
Oops, that was supposed to say "certainly NOT good enough".

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sir, I guess that depends on whether it's appearance in the 1972 Text is considered "Updated" since it did not appear in the 1965 text when the reverse turning kick is listed.
I have no idea what a reverse turning kick is

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The spinning hook kick is an updated version of the spinning heel kick that generates more power but is harder to execute, I believe. I could be wrong however, so please do correct me if I am.
It's actually easier to execute, because you're able to spin a lot faster.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but the only difference that I know of is that with the spinning hook kick, you tightly rechamber at point of impact, wheras in the spinning heel kick you do not, although you might rechamber post impact.
Every school has different names for different kicks. Take it up locally with what you're being taught. All that's gonna happen here is a lot of arguing over what words mean.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have no idea what a reverse turning kick is
It is a term perhaps unique to Chang Hon. "Turning Kick" is what many people refer to as "Roundhouse" although in the Chang Hon System there is a "Turning kick" done to target at the side front, and a "Side Turning Kick" where you turn more sideways to a target directly ahead as you typically do in sparring. "Reverse Turning" Turns in the reverse or opposite direction. with the contact surface (Called the "Tool" in the system) being the back of the heel (Called Heel in the system as opposed to bottom of the heel which the system calls "Back Sole") if the foot is flexed 90 degrees or so in relation to the leg, or with foot extended the ball of the foot can be used - Hope this helps.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been practising this one on the heavy bag. It's quite fun given that I come from WT where low kicks are not allowed.

Not sure what I would call it though! When I think "wheel kick" I think low to high, like a wheel.

Latest Discussions