Speed

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
stickarts said:
There are several different types of speed. working specific bag drills can help.
What helped me quite a bit was sparring people faster than I!
I got faster by trying to reach their level!

Hello, Bag work....simple idea....if done correctly. Speed can only be gain by building the right muscles/reflexes. Relaxing at the proper moments before inpact takes lots of training and punching.

Thank-you for sharing what has work for you....Aloha

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks guys! AceHBK I should have been a little more specific in my suggestion. I only wear the ankle weights the night and morning before a tournament. Be sure not to jump too much or throw accelerated kicks or hit the heavy bag while wearing the ankle weights.

Ironically, I had knee troubles when I was younger (and never used the ankle weights until after my knee surgery). Never had any issues since.

Thanks again Adept and ShirtRipper for pointing that out.

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lots of great advice here. Thanks!!

Jeff

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah i use ankle weights also. But i was warned to only use them when actually training, not to wear them all day, too much strain or whatever lol. And yeah ankle weights will work on your knees, sometimes my knees hurt me a great deal with them on...so be VERY careful.

Ross

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Jeff,

I would recommend looking critically at yourself. Can you round off some corners on movements for example.

However, a word to the wise. If you look at yourself and say "Man, I am fast" you are too fast. If someone says to you "Man that was fast" and you didnt realise then you have achieved speed.

Never replace accuracy with speed. There is a danger in martial arts that to be good you have to be moving at Mach 3!

Latest Discussions