Speed

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What are some of the drills or exercises you do to help increase your speed?

(edit for grammar)

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is it ironic that your Avatar is a "Rush" cover?

I do just Run, Sprint, walk multiple times till I cant walk anymore. Works great.

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
Is it ironic that your Avatar is a "Rush" cover?

I do just Run, Sprint, walk multiple times till I cant walk anymore. Works great.

LOL. Should have been more clear. I was reffering to speeding up technique. Personally, I work my speed bag a lot. Wanting to add to that though, so I thought I'd fish around for ideas.

Jeff

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks to HKPhooey I now use leg weights. I have 5lb leg weights on each leg that I wear all day/every day (yes I have them on at work with slacks on) that I train. I even wear them for the first 10-15 of MA class (we have 1 hr classes) then I take them off.
TKD is my primary art so it is crucial that my kicks be fast.

Ross

Orange Belt
Reaction score
JeffJ said:

(edit for grammar)

Hey Jeff,

I was interested to read your post and was curious as to what kind of speed you were wishing to develop?

Speed in a sparring environment, within self defense techniques or individual movements (ie blocks, kicks, punches etc)

Please clarify.

Thanks

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
Plyometrics, dot drills, agility ladders, cone drills...

Hello,Yes this works great... Plyometrics has been proven to be very effective in increasing speeds and flexability. So many drill here.

In our classes we tell the students to make your kicks faster! ...think about bringing it back twice as fast. When you think about bringing it back twice as fast? .....the speed will increase a bit.....one drill here. ...

Loren Christensen(author) of the book " Speed Training"...you may want to find this book. ..........Aloha

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Never forget technical efficiency to eliminate wasted movement. Increase your ROM at the major joints so you limit the "fight" with your own body.

And yes, plyometric drills will be helpful.

...the easiest way to improve anything is to simply become stronger. Not specifically power, absolute strength, etc. Just stronger.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
Thanks to HKPhooey I now use leg weights. I have 5lb leg weights on each leg that I wear all day/every day (yes I have them on at work with slacks on) that I train. I even wear them for the first 10-15 of MA class (we have 1 hr classes) then I take them off.
TKD is my primary art so it is crucial that my kicks be fast.

Hmm. You know, you won't have time to take them off in a self defense situation.

Really, it's probably more important to have fun, and I can see how wearing weights all day could be just that. Enjoy!

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So I take it that electro shock thing Bruce lee did doesnt work

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
rutherford said:
Hmm. You know, you won't have time to take them off in a self defense situation.

Really, it's probably more important to have fun, and I can see how wearing weights all day could be just that. Enjoy!

lol.
well they work with my speed in reference to kicking and building up leg strength. Same principle as when you play basketball and playing with leg weights while you practice and then when it comes to game time, u dont have them on.

Good ol resistance training.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
JeffJ said:

(edit for grammar)

Focus pad and speed bag work.

Mike

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are several different types of speed. working specific bag drills can help.
What helped me quite a bit was sparring people faster than I!
I got faster by trying to reach their level!

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
So I take it that electro shock thing Bruce lee did doesnt work

That was part of my therapy after knee surgery. A Neuromuscular stimulator is a useful tool for helping prevent and retard disuse atrophy by reeducating and stimulating the recruitment of muscles. Works Well for pain relief, reduction of swelling, and better, faster recovery in between workouts. Also stimulates muscle fibers to grow larger while providing a massage-like effect. You would not get huge from using the device.

Many of the big words are from my sister who runs a PT business. :)

rbzak1

White Belt
Reaction score
Shirt Ripper said:
Never forget technical efficiency to eliminate wasted movement. Increase your ROM at the major joints so you limit the "fight" with your own body.

And yes, plyometric drills will be helpful.

...the easiest way to improve anything is to simply become stronger. Not specifically power, absolute strength, etc. Just stronger.

There's a saying I listen to every time I hear it said: Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast, Speed is a resultant of accuracy. To me, this means moving slowly and correctly through something...a set, a strike, block, stance change or maneuver, free throw… as it’s being learned, helps to remove any tension I might build up as I try to get through the learning process. The less tension, the smoother the movement. The muscles aren’t fighting each other to get something done. I won’t be trying to straighten my arm with my biceps trying to keep it bent.
If I can get out of my own way and let my body get it done, it’ll get done as fast as it can. Speed comes when the body gets out of it’s own way and gets to it’s target economically. No wasted motion, point A to point B. Ali’s jab was nasty not only because he was fast but because he could put it wherever he wanted to. Shortest distance to target. Like Shirt-Ripper mentioned, economy of motion seems to be a key to speed.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, When the body is more relax...speed will increase....like in striking and kicking....do not tense up...until the moment of impact.

Speed is good...hitting where you want to connect...this is better...adding your full power,hips turning too ...this is the best!

When you body can move before you have too think about it? ....than you will not have to be fastest in the class.

Speed does kill...do not drink beer and drive. Drink diet pepsi instead!.. things in Hawaii move slower......even the time...

If it is 2o'clock pm here..California is approx 4 0'clock pm ...see it is slower here...Aloha

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
lol.
well they work with my speed in reference to kicking and building up leg strength. Same principle as when you play basketball and playing with leg weights while you practice and then when it comes to game time, u dont have them on.

Good ol resistance training.

Be very careful of your knees. Constant weight pulling on your knees can very easily lead to strained and torn ligaments as well as other joint problems.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Adept said:
Be very careful of your knees. Constant weight pulling on your knees can very easily lead to strained and torn ligaments as well as other joint problems.

Thank you, Adept!

Latest Discussions