Speed Kills, but so apparently can Ben Gay!

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
link

muscle creams have drawn attention because toxicology tests revealed last week that the April death of a 17-year-old in New York was caused by overusing such rubs.

Obviously not an everyday occurence but I never even considered the possibility of this stuff being toxic before.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow.....thats why you should stick to natural things...

Methyl salicylate is a natural thing.

Please don't tell me I'm the only one that had to make salicylic acid in organic chemistry lab

Methyl salicylate (chemical formula C6H4(HO)COOCH3; also known as salicylic acid methyl ester, oil of wintergreen, betula oil, methyl-2-hydroxybenzoate) is a natural product of many species of plants. Some of the plants producing it are called wintergreens, hence the common name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_salicylate

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Methyl salicylate is a natural thing.

Please don't tell me I'm the only one that had to make salicylic acid in organic chemistry lab

Methyl salicylate (chemical formula C6H4(HO)COOCH3; also known as salicylic acid methyl ester, oil of wintergreen, betula oil, methyl-2-hydroxybenzoate) is a natural product of many species of plants. Some of the plants producing it are called wintergreens, hence the common name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_salicylate

So are cocaine and curare. :)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From a topical cream! It is a suprise to me that you could get a high enough concentration that way.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From a topical cream! It is a suprise to me that you could get a high enough concentration that way.

Salicylates have an extensive history of allergy and sensitivity problems. Oil of Wintergreen burns my skin on contact...I can't be the only one with that level of sensitivity.

Unfortunately, many see "Oil of Wintergreen" and think its natural therefore it must be safe.

If the ingredients said "a metabolite of aspirin", then perhaps it would be addressed with more care? I don't know.

Latest Discussions