Special thanks

W

whalen

I would like to say thank you for all the well wishes and prayers. I am still alive
ha-ha-ha..........

The operation was not without complications along the process I ended up having a
stroke ,, A lower lung infection and unknown virus,an injury to the brachia plexus
nerve in my arm leaving me with not being able to feel or use my right hand.. (not
stroke related).

I am now home going to ocpational and physical therapy three times a week, the
hand is coming back but the fingers are still numb. the shoulder hurts but I am
recovering.

Picture if you will 11 hours of surgery and not moving. And awaking 20 hours later
to find out,you cannot move your arms or hands no matter how much you try.And A
team of Dr's. and Neurologists scratching their heads in disbelief. It puts your
life in perspective "REAL" fast at this point you decide what is trivial and what
really matters.

It is kind of humbling when my son (11) is feeding me and cutting my food.While
his older brother (14)and my ex-wife all by my side offering support. To think I
gave it up for Hapkido..

Hapkido did not seem all that important when I was told by the team of surgeons .If
I had delayed the operation any longer "I WOULD NOT MAKE OR LIVE TO SEE JULY"

The valve was worse than originally diagnosed I was leaking about 50% and the valve
was flapping in the wind "so to speak"

The entire operation was performed through a new robotic minimal evasion procedure
consisting of three 1/2 incisions on my ribs where robotic arms went through my
body. a small incision on me petorial muscle where a three " D" camera was inserted
which allowed them to blow up the size of my heart 17 times its normal a size. And
allowing them to perform micro surgery.And the valve was repaired using a titanium
ring and my own tissue .NO FAKE VALVE it is my own so no rejection or animal parts..

Unlike most open heart I have no scar down the middle or did they ever have to
open up the chest cavity.

Imagine by pressing on button they could spin my heart 360 degrees allowing
full access from all angles.

Enough about the operation I am back and after a serious consideration about
retiring and walking away from Hapkido and all the politics that Go with it..
Hapkido has cost me a marriage, a serious relationship, was it worth it ?

A Special thanks To my freinds Holcombe Thomas, Fabian Duque, Mike Tomlinson, Felix Lugo and to Master timmerman whom I talked with for several hours about Hapkido and life the Day before I went to the Hospital.
that constantly called me to keep my spirits up and a special thanks to mike T. for being my shrink when I told about my problems

Chris from CT

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Welcome back you tough bastard. :partyon:

Whatever you decide will be the right choice so don't sweat it too much. Do what's right for you. (but I'm still looking forward to that seminar at Lugo's) ;)

Wishing you the best Hal. :asian:

OP
W

whalen

This operation brought all of my students and Black Belts together "Life is to short" as we all find out some sooner than others.

As far as lugos gose we have not confirmed a Date But I too am looking forward to it.

Hal Whalen

Ronin Moose

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We don't know each other, but I always enjoy reading your posts. I recently had knee surgery - nothing at all compared to what you've been through - but something to make you think, nonetheless. You will be in my prayers for a successful recovery and rehab. Best regards and wishes.....

-Garry

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Master Whalen, I did not know you were scheduled for surgery - healing to you and may you have as complete a recovery as possible!

:asian:

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Saw your post on the TKD Net. Glad the surgery was successful and wish you a speedy recuperation!

Miles

Latest Discussions