special forces shovel

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was introduced to this for the first time in my class on Saturday and I fell in love with it! It would be very practical for me because I do a lot of camping. And, well, you know ... :angel:

I've shopped around a little online, but the only brand name that keeps coming up is Cold Steel. Are they any good? Surely there are other companies out there that make them?

If anyone can recommend a good brand for these, or maybe a good set of reviews, I'd appreciate it.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Try looking for "e-tool" or "entrenching tool" that is what the american military calls it, and that should be easy to find

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glock makes one as well. Also they are easy to find at an Army/Navy store.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep; I keep one in most of my vehicles, especially in the winter. Useful tool....

One note -- if you get the folding version, don't go too cheap. I've found that some of the cheaper ones don't tighten up and lock as well as one might like.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yep, I'm in the e-tool camp (obviously), the one in the video looks a bit clunky and you can't even fold it down!

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Flea, . For Systema you will not want the folding type of shovels. the cold steel shovel is good to go. It is a bit heavy and the handles are large and round. If you like working with wood you can trim a part of the handles down to fit. Ask around at the your school perhaps someone is a distributor and you can save a few bucks. There are some better shovels out there (better steel) but they are usually more costly (I am thinking of both Russian and Bulgarian from WW1 and some Russian from WW2 era). I recommend you getting two. One live and sharpened (not razor sharp but sharp enough to easily cut skin and flesh) and the other dulled. You can also get away with getting one shovel (live) and a cover to go with it.

Regards
Brian King

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cold Steel makes some cool stuff.
I used to have the "Bad Axe".
One night, I got pulled over, and the cop asked if I had any weapons in the car. I had the "Bad Axe" and a shotgun in the trunk. He asked what I paid for the axe and I lied and he paid me $10 more than I paid for it, and wrote me the damned ticket.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This year at the Cumann Bhata WMA "Recreational Violence" seminar, Randal Gustitis taught a class on the russian method of shovel/e-tool.

I shot video if anyone is interested, I'll DVD it. (actually, I have video of EVERY class for EVERY year - German Longsword, Spear, Tomahawk, Pugilism, Shillelagh, Shasqa... the list is long)

But the short of it is, it's kinda like a short axe, but if that's all you use it as then you are cheating yourself out of a lot of really interesting and useful application. There's some very nifty slicing, balance manipulation, and hooking on top of the usual "chop and thrust" type stuff.

I suspect that a lot of Cinqeada (and Gladius) work would translate almost directly.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Korppi76

Green Belt
Reaction score
My friends liked their Fiskars folding shovel while they were in army. (It was lighter than the earlier version)
I had older version while I was in army. When I got it one side was so sharp you could use it as an axe :)

OP
Flea

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. From what I've seen I prefer the KISS principle; the more parts it has, the more can go wrong. That, and if it has the capacity to fold, it has the capacity to fold when I don't want it to.

It's good to know about all the available designs though, and fun to think about how adaptable a simple frammis like a shovel can be. :)

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. From what I've seen I prefer the KISS principle; the more parts it has, the more can go wrong. That, and if it has the capacity to fold, it has the capacity to fold when I don't want it to.

The "E Tool" is not exclusive to the Special Forces, it is standard issue in Army Basic Combat Training.

FYI

Roger that, and I never once had a problem with the folding mechanisms failing on me. They are made FOR combat after all. It's not like the military is issued cheesy e-tools.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Roger that, and I never once had a problem with the folding mechanisms failing on me. They are made FOR combat after all. It's not like the military is issued cheesy e-tools.

True, but not all folding e-tools on the open market are mil spec. ;)

Latest Discussions