Sparring

Kalicombat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Guess I got in late, but I think that sarring is a must if you are going to train and study martial arts. You dont necessarily have to tournament spar. But simulating confrontation is a must.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Klondike93

Does sparring only happen when you put on the gloves?

or

What is sparring?

:asian:

We don't need no stinkin' gloves, booties, headgear or nuttin!!!

We bad! We bad! We prob'ly were kind of dumb way back then!

:eek: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :eek:

Dan

1091Dan_fighting_2.jpg

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Klondike93

I was in TKD at the time, but I remember a time when I first started we didn't wear pads.

Lesseee... Um-hum... That would make you one of the guys in the white gi's! :lol:

Dan

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think sparring should be a must in any type of martial arts training. it doesn't really simulate a life-like confrontation, but it does get a person used to executing attacks and blocking actual attacks being thrown at them, also showing what type of reach they have with certain techniques and they should practice. it also shows that getting hit doesn't really "hurt", unless you're one of those peope that do NHB fights. it gives a person the oppurtunity to see what they're capable of in a "fight situtation", but of couse it does have controlled variables.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My question still has not been answered, what is sparring?

At what point are you sparring or what dictates that your sparring?

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sparring to me.. is an Exchange... attack /Defend.. Defend/ Attack
It was a pugilistic term before the advent of the Oriental Martial Arts..
The Use of Control
to perfect your own capabilities and techniques.. it's not meant to harm your partner.. you are using your own knowledge and abilities. You are practicing...

Having different partners allows you to challenge yourself.. One partner may be very aggressive with kicks.. or hands.. or feetwork.. you then work on your own defense /attack techniques differently with each partner.

each person utlizing the ability to attack and defend.. using techniques learned, in a controlled setting. You can be the antagonist or protagonist.. Stand and defend yourself or charge in and attack. There are no winners or losers in Sparring ( unless you're doing it for points.. and then it's still only a game)
Sparring allows me to make contact with my opponent in not only a physical way.. but also an emotional avenue.. some just stand there.. letting me back them into a wall..or as I shadow their every move.. and I have control of them.. It opens up an arena into their pysche.. and mine..
I'm quite aggressive in sparring.. males or females.. matter's not.

"At what point are you sparring or what dictates that your sparring?"

It's the exchange of balancing each persons abilities against another. It's your practical application of what you know..and how you react. It's not fighting the opponent.. but challenging yourself.

with respect,

Tess

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rob_Broad

The idea of making Sparring mandatory sounds good in theory. But would you make a physician or chiropractor who was a student spar. One misadventure and there could be a severe problem. Accidents happen and people have lives away from their training, An executive with a black eye doesn't seem to assuring, just like a surgeon with huge bruised knuckle doesn't look professional.

Rob,

I think that is professional Surgeon or someone else who has lives or their job relying on their hands, may want to re-think Martial Arts. If they are in it for physical exercise and not self defense then there would be no need for Sparring for them.

The counter, Gou's point of view, is that all Martial arts are MARTIAL, or physical in that they should teach the correct way to fight, injure or avoid getting injured. Sparring is mandatory to test your knowledge of the techniques and dealing with unexpected events as they happen.

Now, for two points that it does not completely destroy your career to have a black eye, in a professional office environment.

1) A few years ago I was covering for a friend at the door, while he was up north hunting. I nice little fight broke out. Details available if requested. Needless to say I was busy with two different people and the third got through my defense and scored a hit on my eye. Hit so hard, it crossed and I had to close it to continue and see. Well afterwards all was well the eye was nice Black and Blue and the rest of the colors in the rainbow. Everyone at work, was shocked, yes, but not a career ending event.

2) My executive Director, just one level below Vice President, had a nice Bike Accident where he hit a Deer on his bike. Had broken hands and spent some time in the Hospital. No one asked why the Executive Director was out riding his Harley? No one said wow, he hurt himself, we need to avoid him. We are all impressed at little damage he had taken and his skills of controlling the bike. Well at least I was.

And a third point, I just remembered, my Director, just under the Executive Director, has a back eye and bruises from his Rugby game. No one thought it was bad, and he just recently got another position change for the advancement of his career.

Yes to some, like surgeons it can be a problem if you cannot operate the next day.

Just some experience with Sparring or badges of sparring and the office environment.

Good Training all

Rich

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sparring to me.. is an Exchange... attack /Defend.. Defend/ Attack

I agree with what you say here. There is more to sparring than putting on the gloves and trying to see who, on that day, is the better.

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Seig

It also gives the instructor the chance to slap someone silly who desperately needs it, right ;)

Maybe I do need it. Whatcha waiting for?:rofl:

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by tonbo

I *love* sparring aggressive women at our school.

It's funny....the aggressive guys are seen as always having something to prove. They are the "gunfighters" or "tigers"; they are always too tight, too rigid....and can't flow, generally. On the other hand, the women tend to get right down to business, and start trying to take you apart in a calculated way. Man, it's fun, gotta say.

Even better, I still have yet to hear any one of them say that someone is "hitting too hard" or treating them differently. Sheeesh....last upper belt lady that I sparred actually whispered to me just before we started, "Don't be nice to me". Heh. I wasn't. Then again, she wasn't nice back, so it worked out, and fun was had by all.......

I think that aggressive sparring partners, male or female, teach you a lot. Love 'em. *sighs wistfully, wishing for his next sparring class*

Peace--

I love sparring aggressive women too!:ladysman:

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Originally posted by RCastillo

I love sparring aggressive women too!:ladysman:

Some how I'm not surprised. :shrug:

Dot
:D

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Rich Parsons
The counter, Gou's point of view, is that all Martial arts are MARTIAL, or physical in that they should teach the correct way to fight, injure or avoid getting injured. Sparring is mandatory to test your knowledge of the techniques and dealing with unexpected events as they happen.

Why is it Rich so many people failt to see this point of view? Has the PC hammer swung that far?
:hammer:

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
yes, we quite a few aggressive females in class, KenpoTess being one of them. a few of them quite enjoy getting right in the middle of the action, but some of the males also have to be careful of them because they significantly smaller and if the males used even half power, we'd no longer have the females, hell, we'd no longer have some of the males in the class! but as KenpoTess said, it's more of a game to help excel in skills, not a bashing contest.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin

Why is it Rich so many people failt to see this point of view? Has the PC hammer swung that far?
:hammer:

Gou,

If I knew the answer to this, I would write a book and make money on the answer. THe money could be used for my training. :D

I always knew Gou was PC, just that PC means Politically Challenged. :rofl:

Talk to you later

Rich

Latest Discussions