Sparring

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will hopefully have the pics up this weekend.... My eye crappimg out has put me way behind. We need more of these get togethers. :)

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
that he doesn't get to hang with y'all. It'd be nice to be up around that area for get togethers, but then I'd have to deal with my mother for taking her only granddaughter so far away. Believe me...you do NOT want to piss off a small Okinawan woman. :D

Cthulhu

OP
G

GouRonin

I don't want to go the same way Princess Di did!
:boing2:

OP
R

Rob_Broad

That one was truly tasteless. Princess Di jokes, you are smarter than that. Besides I see you taking the Sean Penn route.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Watch da tasteless jokes...we have an image here to uphold as being -better- than RMA. :)

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry, all, but I'm going to have to second Kaith's request. Now, if the tasteless joke was MA related...

:D

Cthulhu

OP
G

girlychuks

Dudes, this was supposed to be about sparring?
Which I did for the first time last night:D
It rocked. I only had brown belts (I am a baby yellow!) to go up against so I had a LOT of fun learning to block. I also got to feel what a roundhouse kick to the lower ribs feel like. I won;t let THAT happen again any time soon.
Only kind of bummer about it- I felt like kind of a novelty, everyone was really interested in watching "the girls" spar- eren got a "this is better than women's wrestling" comment.

But then again, I got called "aggressive" too!
Sigh. I guess I will just have to learn how to kick butt so I;m less "entertaining" and more SCARY:mad:

Ah, to throw a punch.... next time I will focus on breathing more and flailing less

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sparring is like recess after working on basics for a while. Glad you enjoyed it! Next time, find the person who made the women's wrestling comment and spar them. Be sure to scare the pee out of him :D

Cthulhu

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
da kick - I hope you weren't doing full contact sparring without proper gear? You should never leave a class feeling like you've taken a beating. A Brown belt -should- have enough control to pull the shots.

da comments - I politely let em know it wasn't a proper comment...or, spar with em and 'accidently' do a "cup check".

1 other word of advice...."Blocking with Head" = Baaaaad. :D

:asian:

OP
R

Rob_Broad

As a therapist would say, if you are enjoying it and no one is getting hurt, enjoy yourself. I used to love sparring with higher belts. The bigger the lumps the more I learned. "That might expalin things," sorry Gou it was easier for me to take the cheap shot at myself than let you have it.

OP
G

GouRonin

Actually, any part of the body can be an effective block/destruction if you cut short the distance the punch is travelling. Stopping the full extention of the arm before the punch removes the summation of joint forces and deletes a good portion of the power. Not only that but the hand can be easily broken.

OP
M

Ms J

Being Aggressive has a definite place for a women, balancing it though between when and where is the deal when training-sparing or using self-defense or a martial art regardless of your gender.

In addition, for man in General that is untrained, An Aggressive woman is Scary as hell.

I know, i have had a number of them run like the wind as soon as i pulled a blade out or whacked them with a stick in defense of there untrained attack. Learning an art or self-defense for a woman again is on a different level. We do it for a number of reasons. Self defense-self esteem-empowerment normally comes first on the lists of whys.

Reading the attack or aggression that is coming at you needs to be taken into account and quickly. Partly that is what a block is for, you are learning how to read your attacker, and after reading the attack you give an appropriate physical or other response... A Block or defense to an attack does not always come in the form of a physical bodily Block.

My Personal trainer has been screaming at me for nearly 4 years about me being too aggressive and using the long range, passive aggressive or evavison action more.

18 years ago my private teacher would drag me on the beach chase me around with the butt of his Dos manos stick, and tell me i was not Aggressive enough. though he was a WWII Filipino war Vet. :uzi:

Bahhhhh because of this, I would rather just go in take them out and get the hell out… but that’s my core self defense training talking and its just as important to learn the long as well as the short and mid ranges when sparing in or learning an art. Therefore, I do know it and I teach and use it. However, it is not my personality to be sure.....

Note: I know I am sort of generalizing here. In addition, there are always exceptions to the rules. But, generally speaking it’s the way I have found it too be based on, first the real life experience-then the education- then the past 5 years of research I have done for the programs we have going for women and victims of abuse-rape-assault and domestic violence.

Ms. J bows deeply:asian:

“ The Woman with the Big Sticks”
“ Well behaved Women Seldom Make History”

Ms. Johnaleen Castro
CEO/F.A.T.E. 1-888-526-4626
Facilitating Awareness Through Empowerment
[email protected]
www.f-a-t-e.org

OP
T

Testdummy

I think sparring should be part of every class once or twice a week. The reason I say that is because it gives the students a time to use what they have learned in class. It also gives them the chance to get use to someone throwing a punch or a kick when the student is not ready for that kind of punch or kick to be throwen at the. So in a way it keeps them on there feet just as if they were in a fight out in the streets. :erg:

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by Testdummy

I think sparring should be part of every class once or twice a week. The reason I say that is because it gives the students a time to use what they have learned in class. It also gives them the chance to get use to someone throwing a punch or a kick when the student is not ready for that kind of punch or kick to be throwen at the. So in a way it keeps them on there feet just as if they were in a fight out in the streets. :erg:
It also gives the instructor the chance to slap someone silly who desperately needs it, right ;)

OP
S

Stick Dummy

Seig,

LMAO, Did I miss any gratuititous violence last night????

And now we have a "Test Dummy" posting from By-GaWd, WeSt ViRgiNNy to boot.

Ms J,

Welcome! I dun scene yur posts at Mas Terrys place methinks.

Ahhh The exotic smell of Burning Rattan in the Morning..........

Later Gaters!

And you to TessMania!

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ms J

Being Aggressive has a definite place for a women, balancing it though between when and where is the deal when training-sparing or using self-defense or a martial art regardless of your gender.

In addition, for man in General that is untrained, An Aggressive woman is Scary as hell.

I know, i have had a number of them run like the wind as soon as i pulled a blade out or whacked them with a stick in defense of there untrained attack. Learning an art or self-defense for a woman again is on a different level. We do it for a number of reasons. Self defense-self esteem-empowerment normally comes first on the lists of whys.

Reading the attack or aggression that is coming at you needs to be taken into account and quickly. Partly that is what a block is for, you are learning how to read your attacker, and after reading the attack you give an appropriate physical or other response... A Block or defense to an attack does not always come in the form of a physical bodily Block.

My Personal trainer has been screaming at me for nearly 4 years about me being too aggressive and using the long range, passive aggressive or evavison action more.

18 years ago my private teacher would drag me on the beach chase me around with the butt of his Dos manos stick, and tell me i was not Aggressive enough. though he was a WWII Filipino war Vet. :uzi:

Bahhhhh because of this, I would rather just go in take them out and get the hell out… but that’s my core self defense training talking and its just as important to learn the long as well as the short and mid ranges when sparing in or learning an art. Therefore, I do know it and I teach and use it. However, it is not my personality to be sure.....

Note: I know I am sort of generalizing here. In addition, there are always exceptions to the rules. But, generally speaking it’s the way I have found it too be based on, first the real life experience-then the education- then the past 5 years of research I have done for the programs we have going for women and victims of abuse-rape-assault and domestic violence.

Ms. J bows deeply:asian:

“ The Woman with the Big Sticks”
“ Well behaved Women Seldom Make History”

Ms. Johnaleen Castro
CEO/F.A.T.E. 1-888-526-4626
Facilitating Awareness Through Empowerment
[email protected]
www.f-a-t-e.org

Ms Castro,

Thanks and a good post. Sounds like the advice from your old Philipine WWII Vet stuck! Good thing! Being an old Nam Vet and with some history of confrontation here and there, I teach my students to be quick, effective, and thorough. Life threatening is a whole lot different than irritating someone because you are an aggressive female in a sparring class. That, to me, is always a big cop out.

Agressive men are "Alpha Males" ... Agessive women are bitches or have PMS or ... I personally never understood that line of reasoning.

Keep on keeping on and if I can ever be of any assistance, let me know!

Dan Farmer

OP
T

tonbo

I *love* sparring aggressive women at our school.

It's funny....the aggressive guys are seen as always having something to prove. They are the "gunfighters" or "tigers"; they are always too tight, too rigid....and can't flow, generally. On the other hand, the women tend to get right down to business, and start trying to take you apart in a calculated way. Man, it's fun, gotta say.

Even better, I still have yet to hear any one of them say that someone is "hitting too hard" or treating them differently. Sheeesh....last upper belt lady that I sparred actually whispered to me just before we started, "Don't be nice to me". Heh. I wasn't. Then again, she wasn't nice back, so it worked out, and fun was had by all.......

I think that aggressive sparring partners, male or female, teach you a lot. Love 'em. *sighs wistfully, wishing for his next sparring class*

Peace--

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
is there a hot tub around?

when it was just sparring our own students.. I had confidence in myself.. in my abilities.. I could block.. get in strikes.. and we all, on the basic side .. knew each others sparring techniques so there was no contest. Now... there's Stickdummy and another guy who fight us weekly .. and I'm feeling rather whitebeltish.. Sooooooooo different to fight someone from another style.. it's not that because they are blackbelts .. it's not their speed or fluidity.. but a combination of everything ..
We were taught with the 'rules of engagement' and now those rules are on the way side .. which is good because it's opening a new world of sparring /street fighting.
Stickdummy tells me to relax.. and not use so much power.. ok. .I can deal with that and am trying my utmost.. the leg sweeps .. chokes.. etc. take me off guard but I'm learning from them :)
though even with my armadillo padding.. I still have major bruises~!! Maybe I'm too old for this *pondering*
I would like to have all sorts of coaching lessons.. from various stylists.. It keeps the interest up and hey if you're out in real time and get attacked..it's paramount you have a variety of abilities.

Seig did some ground work during sparring Tuesday night.. I looked over and he had been tackled by Randy .. and the pair of them rolled with Seig ending on top.. who says there's no groundwork in Kenpo.. :)

All in all.. you can learn every technique but without practical utilization.. they are just that.. techniques..

with Respect..

TessMania

OP
F

FLY

Originally posted by GouRonin

Actually, any part of the body can be an effective block/destruction if you cut short the distance the punch is travelling. Stopping the full extention of the arm before the punch removes the summation of joint forces and deletes a good portion of the power. Not only that but the hand can be easily broken.

Hehe....I've broken more than one hand on my face before :rofl: :rofl: :shrug:

FLY.

:asian:

Latest Discussions