Spare a thought for the old boys who did so much

wee_blondie

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi all, I know a lot of you are in the US and other parts of the world, but this post is to remember our old boys who fought and died in WWI and WWII. I am in the UK and the 11th November each year is known as Rememberance Day. There is a one minute silence held accross the land during which we pay tribute to the gallant efforts made by our countrymen and women during the fiendish world wars I and II.

Sadly, as time goes by and the survivors are passing on through old age, the message is sometimes lost or overlooked. I just wanted to take a moment to honor the brave souls who did so much to protect our country and bring peace to Europe by going to war, often with little more than the courage in their hearts.

My thoughts are also with those who are still fighting in places like Iraq and Afghanistan and to those families who are waiting for relatives to return. Although I do not agree with the politics of the situation, I admire the courage and strength of these people.

At this time of year, it is important never to forget or become disillusioned about how gruesome and terrifying war is and to work hard to prevent the atrocities which were perpetrated from ever occurring again.

My sincere and humble thanks to those who gave so much, you are truely heros.

(PS Sorry if I went on for a bit.....can't help it, just speaking from the heart)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Amen Sister..Could not have said it any better...

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well said.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
My Grandfather and his brothers(R.I.P.) were all in WW2, so I have a personal reason to NEVER forget what they did...My grandfather island-hopped with McArthur, and both of my great uncles were in Europe(one was Patton's jeep driver!), and in the Battle of the Bulge...
It's interesting to think that my grandfather walked amongst the ruins of Shuri and Naha, right where Funakoshi, Itosu, and Matsumura came up with the art that I study now...It's also interesting(although horrifying) to know that my grandfather flew in over Nagasaki after they dropped the bomb...He only mentioned it once, and he couldn't finish his story...it was too much for him...Dear God, the things that we do to each other in the name of war...!

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well said.

In Flanders fields.
In Flanders fields.

Glad you posted this, reminds me to go into town and buy a poppy from the vets. today.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad you posted this, reminds me to go into town and buy a poppy from the vets. today.

That's another thing I don't see as much as I use to..The Vets selling poppies...I ALWAYS purchased one...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well said.

In Flanders fields.
In Flanders fields.

Very nice Johnathon

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I, too, always buy a poppie from the vets in town each year and hang them from the visor in my truck as a reminder all year long. I had the honor this past week of meeting a man at a truck stop who was wearing a hat that identified him as an old 1st cav soldier from WWII. I approached him, introduced myself and thanked him for doing what the world needed him to do. We talked for about a half hour trading stories of our times in the service and such. When he walked away I noticed he was walking just a little taller maybe. Take the time, not just to remember the old warriors but to thank them in person not matter what day of the year you encounter them.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:asian:

Attachments

• $ca061111.gif
    19.3 KB · Views: 109

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sadly, as time goes by and the survivors are passing on through old age, the message is sometimes lost or overlooked. I just wanted to take a moment to honor the brave souls who did so much to protect our country and bring peace to Europe by going to war, often with little more than the courage in their hearts.

At this time of year, it is important never to forget or become disillusioned about how gruesome and terrifying war is and to work hard to prevent the atrocities which were perpetrated from ever occurring again.

All you say is true, I think about those people all the time.

In Columbus, there is a French bakery/restaurant, La Chatelaine, owned and operated by a Belgian couple who, every year on the anniversary of D-Day, provide a free dinner---lavish French cuisine---for any WWII veteran who wishes to attend. One day the owner saw a story in the paper about a retired chap who was working as a greeter in a local Sam's Club, trying to save enough money so that he and his wife could go back to France for what was then the upcoming half-century anniversary of the D-Day landings, which he was a survivor of, having lost about half his platoon and many good friends in the assault on Utah beach. The owners of La Chatelaine contacted him and told him that they were sending him to France, first class, at their expense, to join in the commemoration ceremonies, and that while he was there his money was no good, because they were paying for everything. And they did.

All honor to him, and to his companions, the ones who survived and the ones he lost that day.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Every year I replace my avatar with a poppy. I encourage others to do so as well.

OP
wee_blondie

wee_blondie

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What a lovely thought Lisa!

The thing I always do is to spend time visiting war memorials just to sit and contemplate what those people went through. Unfortunately I'm offshore (again) this year; but will continue to pay tribute in my own quiet way.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have the utmost respect for those guys.

Some of my best memories are interviews with some of those who made it back.

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
I, too, always buy a poppie from the vets in town each year and hang them from the visor in my truck as a reminder all year long.

I hang Poppies on my handbag on Rememberance day then transfer them to the handle of my sports bag to remind me each time I go to class throughout the year.