Soong Moo Kwan Hapkido

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by oftheherd1, Jun 1, 2011.

1. oftheherd1

oftheherd1 Senior Master

Don't see too much mention of what style people in the Hapkido forum learned under. It isn't perhaps all that important anyway. The different styles share many of their techniques.

Still, I was wondering if there are any others here who studied Soong Moo Kwan Hapkido, either in Korea, under GM Yi, or one of his sons, in Korea or the USA? Actually, for that matter, he had many masters teaching throughout Korea. Some may have learned from one of them.

2. oftheherd1

oftheherd1 Senior Master

Well, I must admit to a little surprise. Master YI (or Lee as he later referred to himself) taught for many years in the Yong Son, Seoul high school system. He also taught in the on post gym. There were quite a few who attained BB under him. He moved to the States a few years ago, and prior to his passing, taught with his son in the NJ area.

Just surprising that no one in Martial Talk had studied under him. He was a great teacher, and a real gentleman. I miss him.

3. Phyrrx

Phyrrx White Belt

I know this is a very late response - but i studied under Master Yi at SAHS on Yongsan Garrison, F96-S98.
    He was a great teacher - always positive, and if he did have to chastise a student, it was always with a little grin, holding up his fist, saying "This is a missle. Chu gu le? "

I couldn't have asked for a better Master.

• Like Like x 1
  4. oftheherd1

oftheherd1 Senior Master

I saw him teach high school students a couple of times. He was a senior Grand Master who was also humble, yet commanded respect. He was also leader enough to make his students want to show him respect. I was humbled to be able to see him the week before he passed. I still miss him. He was a friend as well as a great teacher.