Something a 9yr old brought to my attention

Mike Hamer

Green Belt
Reaction score
So I was at my Grandmas house over the 4th of July weekend, and while there I made sure to get some practice in everyday. I was working on a spinning sidekick using a tree for a target when my little 9yr old cousin came up to me and asked, "Why even spin? Why not just kick them?"

Didnt give the question much thought at first, just telling him, "Cause I like this kick" But after he walked away it made me really think.....Why should I spin? I havent been practicing for too long, so I myself dont really know the answer.

Is there anyone out here who can give me some solid reasons why a spinning kick might be more effective than a non spinning kick?

More power? Harder to read? Faster? I dont really know...

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The spinning kick has more power and is a bit easier to hide since you can chain it into a combo where you are turning, also, you are spinning back around to face your partner after completion.

The step through side kick is too slow and telegraphic to land on most living people.

A simple lead leg sidekick doesn't have the power to really hurt someone with conditioning and the way it's taught in most MA's leaves your back exposed after you kick.

The only real sidekick I've seen utilized successfully in MMA was Cung Le's. He uses it like a jab to keep people off of him where he can land other kicks that do more damage.

YMMV

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I was at my Grandmas house over the 4th of July weekend, and while there I made sure to get some practice in everyday. I was working on a spinning sidekick using a tree for a target when my little 9yr old cousin came up to me and asked, "Why even spin? Why not just kick them?"

Didnt give the question much thought at first, just telling him, "Cause I like this kick" But after he walked away it made me really think.....Why should I spin? I havent been practicing for too long, so I myself dont really know the answer.

Is there anyone out here who can give me some solid reasons why a spinning kick might be more effective than a non spinning kick?

Spinning kicks can generate some pretty good power. However, the downside is, is that unless its set up properly, there is a chance it could be telegraphed, leaving you open for your opponent to jam you in the middle of the kick or move away enough for it to miss, but move back in quick enough for them to counter you as you're completing the kick.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The spinning kick has more power and is a bit easier to hide since you can chain it into a combo where you are turning, also, you are spinning back around to face your partner after completion.

The step through side kick is too slow and telegraphic to land on most living people.

A simple lead leg sidekick doesn't have the power to really hurt someone with conditioning and the way it's taught in most MA's leaves your back exposed after you kick.

The only real sidekick I've seen utilized successfully in MMA was Cung Le's. He uses it like a jab to keep people off of him where he can land other kicks that do more damage.

YMMV

The spinning back kick worked nicely for me in cases where I got knocked back and started to get turned into a spin already. Instead of trying to spin back toward to opponent which takes too long, you go with the flow and just keep spinning into a spin technique such as a spinning backfist or kick. In this case its faster and more powerful than trying to turn back and face the opponent.

Ooops...I meant to quote Mike Hamer's post.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I'd say it would depend on the situation. I've had some pretty good success with this kick, as have others that I know. I've caught quite a few people off guard as they moved in. Of course, followups to the kick are important as well.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The spinning kick builds up speed and momentum as well as power. Not saying that a straight side kick dose not have power and speed but it seems that spinning adds to the power

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
YMMV

I have used the lead leg sidekick successfully and have been able to drop opponents with it. It also is a good kick for controlling distance.

OP
Mike Hamer

Mike Hamer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone, I think I understand the purpose behind a spinning kick a little better now :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have used the lead leg sidekick successfully and have been able to drop opponents with it. It also is a good kick for controlling distance.

I can attest to this as I have a) seen Mr. Shekosky spar, b) was a student and still am a good friend of his, and c) been on the receiving end of some of his kicks. :)

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
The upside to a spinning kick is that it gives more power behind the kick- true... On the other hand, it can take slightly longer to pull off than a regular kick, and there's the problem of telegraphing it. You need a touch more distance between you and the opponent with the spinning kick, to execute it well.

However, like you, I like spinning kicks too.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
It has more range, too, since the front foot is the pivot instead of the back.

And it is your fastest option for a rear-leg side kick.

FWIW, many systems (including mine) don't actually do a spinning side kick, but a turning back kick.

I know it sounds just like semantics, but there ARE significant differences that make the turning back kick faster than the spinning side kick.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
FWIW, many systems (including mine) don't actually do a spinning side kick, but a turning back kick.

I know it sounds just like semantics, but there ARE significant differences that make the turning back kick faster than the spinning side kick.
Agreed. In fact, any time you think a spinning side kick would fit (in sparring, in self defense, in a combo of other moves), you could just as easily do a turning back kick, and it would arrive on target faster. The added benefit to a turning back kick is that it is useful even when the opponent advances and tries to 'jam up' your kick - in fact, I find it most effective against the overly-aggressive opponent who likes to crowd too much.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Different tools for different jobs.

A spinning back kick can work great on a opponent that is circling towards your lead side and moving forward. Timing is the key to landing it, and its certainely not one of your primary techniques, but it can land pretty well if used properly at the right time.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most kicks can be performed in a variety of ways - standing, stepping, lead leg, rear leg, spinning, jumping, skipping, sliding - it all depends on the kick, the target, and the circumstances available in which to get the kick to the target.

OP
Mike Hamer

Mike Hamer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Now im not sure if what I'm talking about is a spinning sidekick, or turning sidekick :S

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Funny how earlier today I was thinking along the exact same lines.
I used to be able to do it and do it well. In fact my best spin-back kick was to the face of someone 6'1" in the parking lot of some bar/dive in Washington D.C.
But now-a-days I haven't done it for a long time. In fact the last time I did it was roughly 3 years ago on a wave-master at a friend's garage. I hit (ok grazed) the upper most target alright and landed on my ***. Just getting too old for that sort of thing, so it's removed from my "bag of tricks"... which is getting woefully light these days.

Granted a successful SBK is going to be awfully damaging. But in my experience it's more of a "finishing move" than something in the middle. Now if you're lucky you could do it as a first strike move. You know, the guy standing there challenging you and running off at the mouth and you turn as if to ignore him and walk away and whip right around and put your "left/right foot on the right/left side of his face"... But other than that, you'd need the room to do it in first place i.e. parking lot, open dance floor, basketball floor ,front/back yard or something along those lines. You might get away with it in somebody's living room, provided you don't take out a standing floor lamp or anyone else.
I personally just don't have a use for it. In fact I stopped using it long before I couldn't effectively do it anymore. :idunno: I just concentrated my efforts on NOT getting into situations where I might need to use it.

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score

I meant for my post to say in MMA competition against conditioned athletes. I assumed that since it was in the MMA competition forum that the original poster was asking in that context.
The only person I've ever seen use the lead leg sidekick successfully in MMA was Cung Le, and he uses it as a jab to keep people away. I haven't seen him hurt anyone with it.

Against regular people, it can work quite well, I've used it to stop people coming in and follow up with something hard, although I have dropped people in non mma competitions with it. The down side to it in mma is that a well conditioned athlete will often times take the kick so they can seize it and get a takedown, or get your back.

YMMV

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As a kid, I came close to having a fist fight with another kid. He looked scared and turned - I thought he was going to run. I went forward to run after him and I found a foot in my gut. It *hurt.*

I wonder how many other people fell for that fake?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As a kid, I came close to having a fist fight with another kid. He looked scared and turned - I thought he was going to run. I went forward to run after him and I found a foot in my gut. It *hurt.*

I wonder how many other people fell for that fake?
:wavey: when I was a kid too.

Latest Discussions