Some Wednesday Night Sparring

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You're not going to get harder shins kicking bags and pads. You only get it by kicking hard targets.

Read what I said again.

It's not a theory, it's proven science. Bases off your description it sounds your shins aren't well conditioned. I feel your pain though, in the past I've clashed shins in sparring and hurt myself. However, that was feedback that I needed to condition my shins, now my shins are a lot harder.

I've had 12 fights in the ring. How many have you had?

You should try conditioning your shins to get a feel for kicks without shin guards. Generating more power than your bones can handle is pointless, for you'll never be able to use it without injuring yourself, to a reasonable degree anyways.

I'm wondering if you even read what I post? The level that I currently fight at, they don't allow shinguards.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've had 12 fights in the ring. How many have you had?
That's awesome you've had 12 fights in the ring. However, that doesn't change the physiological process of how your shins adapt from conditioning.

I'm wondering if you even read what I post? The level that I currently fight at, they don't allow shinguards.

I read that, I also read
but after every fight that I had with no shinguards, it took a much longer time to recover from the deep bruising sustained on my shins from being checked, shin on shin.
Your comment above draws a distinction on recovery time from when you shinguards vs no shinguards. Thus when you use the term "longer", you're drawing a comparison.

But I have no doubt that I can hurt people a lot more with these light shinguards on because there are times during fights where I was getting hurt at the shins and needed to be more cautious, kick less and/or kick lighter when targeting their leg.

Harder shins would prevent this from happening or would at least decrease these occurrences. Depending on the level you condition your shins to.

In summary, harder limbs in general are great for any martial artist to have, for both offensive and defensive purposes. A harder surface traveling at the same velocity as a softer one will cause more trauma.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's awesome you've had 12 fights in the ring. However, that doesn't change the physiological process of how your shins adapt from conditioning.

That's pretty funny.

I read that, I also read

Your comment above draws a distinction on recovery time from when you shinguards vs no shinguards. Thus when you use the term "longer", you're drawing a comparison.

Re-read it then, I don't feel like retyping, thanks.

Harder shins would prevent this from happening or would at least decrease these occurrences. Depending on the level you condition your shins to.

I guess you don't fight because every fighter that I've trained with, all wear shinguards during sparring because we don't want deep bruising. And these are ammy and pro MT fighters and a top 30 UFC fighter.

In summary, harder limbs in general are great for any martial artist to have, for both offensive and defensive purposes. A harder surface traveling at the same velocity as a softer one will cause more trauma.

fo shizzle?

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's pretty funny.
I'm unsure what's funny about the scientific process of cortical remodeling. The point is you can have as many fights under your belt as you want, but that doesn't change the physiological dynamics of how the human body works.

I guess you don't fight because every fighter that I've trained with, all wear shinguards during sparring because we don't want deep bruising. And these are ammy and pro MT fighters and a top 30 UFC fighter.
You don't have a clue what I do nor how I train. If the pros have conditioned shins then they wear the shinguards to protect their sparring partner, not their opponent in a competitive fight. You can't wear shinguards in pro fights anyways.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm unsure what's funny about the scientific process of cortical remodeling. The point is you can have as many fights under your belt as you want, but that doesn't change the physiological dynamics of how the human body works.

You don't have a clue what I do nor how I train. If the pros have conditioned shins then they wear the shinguards to protect their sparring partner, not their opponent in a competitive fight. You can't wear shinguards in pro fights anyways.

Wrong. I train with pros and it I can tell that you don't.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're not going to get harder shins kicking bags and pads. You only get it by kicking hard targets.

Based on personal experience, I have to disagree with that. Solid Thai pads and a well-stuffed banana bag are plenty hard enough to condition shins through physiologic adaptations if you kick them hard enough and consistently enough.

You don't have to trust my experience, though. This is the same method professional Muay Thai fighters use.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Based on personal experience, I have to disagree with that. Solid Thai pads and a well-stuffed banana bag are plenty hard enough to condition shins through physiologic adaptations if you kick them hard enough and consistently enough.

You don't have to trust my experience, though. This is the same method professional Muay Thai fighters use.

Yes, I know the types of bags and pads you're referring to, we use them at our school as well. However, I was referring to your standard softer bags and pads. The hard bags/pads will definitely condition your shins to a certain degree, but I've walked away with two different sensations after kicking hard pads/bags vs kicking/rolling them with something harder.

In the past I got more of a superficial stinging sensation when kicking hard bags/pads, but I got a deeper throbbing pain when kicking harder targets. I agree that the harder bags/pads can get you to a certain level in shin conditioning, but you'll eventually plateau out and will need to advance to something harder.

Latest Discussions