Demonstration at Japan Festival

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
looked good.
the only critique i would give as an outsider is during the Iaido segment, i think it would have looked better if everyone was more on time with each other. since you didnt focus on this i can assume it is not how you practice. but a uniform cadence during a demo really looks good. the people in the back row could have used the person in the front as a timing cue.

OP
B

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Awesome, Brendan! I was hoping you guys got some video of the demo!

Hey Chris - Ah yeah.. I think my other half filmed it, but this is someone else's footage (I hate being on camera).

It was a shame, sensei had her rokudan aikido grading that day so she and Noriko both had to miss it.

looked good.
the only critique i would give as an outsider is during the Iaido segment, i think it would have looked better if everyone was more on time with each other. since you didnt focus on this i can assume it is not how you practice. but a uniform cadence during a demo really looks good. the people in the back row could have used the person in the front as a timing cue.

Thanks for the feedback Hoshin - absolutely, that would be up there on my list of flaws in our demonstration. Unfortunately I have to add that it's largely myself to blame for that; the other two seem to have been pretty well in sync during the iai/battojutsu :(

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey Chris - Ah yeah.. I think my other half filmed it, but this is someone else's footage (I hate being on camera).

It was a shame, sensei had her rokudan aikido grading that day so she and Noriko both had to miss it.

Thanks for the feedback Hoshin - absolutely, that would be up there on my list of flaws in our demonstration. Unfortunately I have to add that it's largely myself to blame for that; the other two seem to have been pretty well in sync during the iai/battojutsu :(
I myself actually detest synchronized individual kata. I think it's counterproductive to what kata should be, however for a demo it does look good.
How long have you three been training?

OP
B

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yeah when we train we do the torei as synchronised as possible, and we start the kata together, but run through it at our own pace. I guess I just did that out of habit.

I've been studying Shinto ryu for about 9 years - the other two have trained longer.

Latest Discussions