Some daily carry options of mine!

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not all the tools pictured are legally concealable. The Corkum "first strike" stays on my left hip in plain sight. The "crucible" is legally concealable as the blade length is 3". Some counties allow concealment of up to 5" blades. The S&W double edged knife is a piece of kit that I save for my "bug out" kit and it doesnt leave the locker much. I also have much larger blades(arent pictured) that I "open carry" on my hip but those are more for all out survival in harsh conditions and are part of my bug out kit. I only use them during training or sometimes for chores around the house.
I essentially made it a point to picture the ones which I have successfully carried for a few years despite a few incursions with LEO. Often times they are not fully aware of the laws pertaining to knives. I have been in a position in which I was the one informing them of the law and they declined to argue only to retire to their squad car or desk to look it up in thier PC manual.
I have been around LEO,CHIP and Sheriffs and have never had a problem.
Thats becuase I do my homework before going out of my house with hardware attached about my person.
If I had my CA CCW, you would have seen an HK USP .45 or G17 with an insight M6X but those are locked in the camelback in the car while I am out.
None of what you see will get me arrested for carrying it about my person. I habitually carry according to the law so there is no reason for me to get into hot water aside from sheer stupidity. None of these tools follow me inside restricted areas such as court houses, federal building etc... I only carry a sharpie, pen and pencil in those places.
I have been through enough LEO scrutiny over the years to know well enough what I can and cant do.

V/R

If you have any friends who are LEOs, I`d double check on the legality of having a firearm in that Camelback in the trunk. Since it`s not in the passenger compartment you might be okay. But back home in Ohio any weapon anywhere in a vehichle is considered a concealed weapon unless it`s on your person. They usually give a pass on unloaded firearms ,in locked containers, in the trunk. Since it`s out of sight inside the pack I can`t see you getting into any trouble unless you were arrested for something else and they found it while inventorying the contents of the car. But I`d still ask around. Better safe than sorry.

angrywhitepajamas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I carry no knives or fire arms as my city is reluctant to issue CCW permits.
What I have on a daily basis is limited to the following
A shock resistant/water resistant cell phone,
3.5 inch piece of hard wood (kamagong),
box cutters (for work you know),
different varieties of gloves,
safety glasses,
a small mag lite,
a bag of pennies,
and 2 rolls of coin,
plus what every odds and ends are in my pockets and bug out bag.

l_uk3y

Green Belt
Reaction score
Lol. The things you can do in America.

In my part of Australia we are getting called the Nanny state.

If you even have the most subtle of pocketknife (even a Stanley knife) and can't provide a suitable reason such as a pocket knife whilst fishing it will be taken and get you in strife. Bladed or unbladed.

Police have actually been doing random people searches around train stations and so forth. Big crackdown on any form of potential defense items.

If I got around with that lot you have there. I'd most likely end up in jail for a few years.

About 10 years ago there was a big crackdown on auto and semi auto rifles and shotguns including pump action. All REGISTERED owners of these excluding law enforcement/military and certain sectors of farming has ALL particular firearms taken off them and Destroyed with a very small portion of the value being paid back to them.

Classic example of a few people literally with mental health issues ruining it for everybody.

Luke

Cronarct

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
usually i just carry

cell phone
3.5" folding pocket knife
and my skills as a martial artist :D

have yet to use the knife on someone but have had to use my martial arts a few times but always made sure to never go overboard and only used enough force to get my point across (this is what we are taught in my dojo)

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My hands and feet.
A belt depending upon the pants.
Sometimes a walking stick.
Keys
Cell phone

If I am looking to carry something that can be used in self defense but will not make anyone's radar go off, I roll up my copy of Masters Quarterly, Blackbeltmag, or Car and Driver. Or a thick news paper.

I never go anywhere that I might expect to need a gun because I do not own one and have no desire to.

The only knife that is ever taken from home stays in my car most of the time. It has a notch with a smaller blade for cutting the seatbelt and a protrusion for breaking autoglass should I need to escape the car and cannot open the doors in the event of an accedent.

Most importantly, when my common sense is tingling, I pay attention.

Daniel

Cronarct

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My hands and feet.
A belt depending upon the pants.
Sometimes a walking stick.
Keys
Cell phone

If I am looking to carry something that can be used in self defense but will not make anyone's radar go off, I roll up my copy of Masters Quarterly, Blackbeltmag, or Car and Driver. Or a thick news paper.

I never go anywhere that I might expect to need a gun because I do not own one and have no desire to.

The only knife that is ever taken from home stays in my car most of the time. It has a notch with a smaller blade for cutting the seatbelt and a protrusion for breaking autoglass should I need to escape the car and cannot open the doors in the event of an accedent.

Most importantly, when my common sense is tingling, I pay attention.

Daniel

haha that is so true the whole common sense part, its like after a while you can just sense danger its like an 6th sense :D always paying attention

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
"I don't go anywhere where I expect to need a gun"...well duh! I don't go anywhere where I expect I might need a gun either.

I carry one because bad stuff happens when and where you DON'T expect it. If trouble only happened in places where we expected it to, we could all save ourselves all the time, money, and pain involved in all this pesky training and just stay away from those places.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"I don't go anywhere where I expect to need a gun"...well duh! I don't go anywhere where I expect I might need a gun either.

I carry one because bad stuff happens when and where you DON'T expect it. If trouble only happened in places where we expected it to, we could all save ourselves all the time, money, and pain involved in all this pesky training and just stay away from those places.
You state the obvious, with which I agree, but it wasn't what I was referring to.

"Not going places where I'd expect to need a gun"...

...simply takes up less space than trying to enumerate all of the stupid places people go that put them at risk. For example, certain GoGo bars (GoGo the music, not the topless dancers) where shootings seem to occur on a regular or semi regular basis from year to year in DC.

Perhaps a better way of saying it is that I stay out of situations where I know in advance that questionable elements are present and armed with guns themselves?

Less to do with whether or not I might need to defend myself unexpectedly than simply avoiding places that I have no business being in in the first place.

Some jobs place people in circumstances where it is advisable to carry a gun. This is not what I am thinking of when I say stupid places people go. Thankfully, I do not have such a job. Should that ever change, I will acquire the appropriate permits and the appropriate tools for the job.

Daniel

Last edited:

Cronarct

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
okay, now i dont carry but i do love my guns and can offer advice for those who want/can carry.

for a quick easy conceal carry i recommend a Taurus 22 pocket pistol
http://www.kremersguns.com/model-pt22-long-rifle-inch-tipup-barrel-blue-gold-p-13021.html
they are light small and can be concealed in a pocket with no holsters and don't really need baggy clothes

for those who want to conceal some power but is a middle range in the size compartment i recommend a Taurus 809 compact 9mm... if you train diligently with a 9mm pistol you can practically drive nails in with it and it has plenty of stopping power and with the shorter 3.5 inch barrel its easier to conceal.
http://www.kremersguns.com/model-compact-inch-barrel-blue-finish-loaded-chamber-p-20883.html

and finally for those who are talented at concealing a pistol, and want alot of stopping power i would say go with a Taurus pt 1911 .45 caliber pistol, this is a great pistol with good accuracy and amazing stopping power
http://www.kremersguns.com/model-1911-inch-barrel-blue-finish-with-picatinny-rail-p-13012.html

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think you like Taurus very much. ;)

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Daniel Sullivan said:
Perhaps a better way of saying it is that I stay out of situations where I know in advance that questionable elements are present and armed with guns themselves?

Less to do with whether or not I might need to defend myself unexpectedly than simply avoiding places that I have no business being in in the first place.

Some jobs place people in circumstances where it is advisable to carry a gun. This is not what I am thinking of when I say stupid places people go. Thankfully, I do not have such a job. Should that ever change, I will acquire the appropriate permits and the appropriate tools for the job.

Fair enough...I guess I misinterpreted your post as a flippant dismissal of the idea of carrying a weapon in order to be prepared for the unexpected.

okay, now i dont carry but i do love my guns and can offer advice for those who want/can carry.

for a quick easy conceal carry i recommend a Taurus 22 pocket pistol

they are light small and can be concealed in a pocket with no holsters and don't really need baggy clothes

for those who want to conceal some power but is a middle range in the size compartment i recommend a Taurus 809 compact 9mm... if you train diligently with a 9mm pistol you can practically drive nails in with it and it has plenty of stopping power and with the shorter 3.5 inch barrel its easier to conceal.

and finally for those who are talented at concealing a pistol, and want alot of stopping power i would say go with a Taurus pt 1911 .45 caliber pistol, this is a great pistol with good accuracy and amazing stopping power
l

okaaaaaay...I guess I'll be "that guy."

Cronarct, I'm not attacking you personally, but I don't like seeing poor advice on such an important subject. We're not talking about recreation, we're talking about tools upon which you might have to stake your life or that of your loved ones.

A few issues with your statements:

1. Taurus's firearms are not known for their reliability and Taurus's track-record for customer service is, to say the least, unimpressive. I know several people who can tell horror stories about trying to rectify problems caused by obvious manufacturing errors, or known issues. While every company turns out a "lemon" now and then, Taurus' record is such that I wouldn't recommend any of their firearms for anything but recreation.

2. A .22 is a poor choice for self-defense. Can it kill someone? Yes, but it's by no means ideal. Furthermore, carrying without a holster is not the best idea. Only one reason for this is that debris (i.e. "pocket crud") can find its way into the action/moving-parts of the firearm and cause it to malfunction.

3. There is no such thing as "stopping power," unless you're talking about "stopping" critical bodily functions by causing significant damage to the central nervous system, or vascular systems...accomplishing these things depends on shot placement, not caliber.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Fair enough...I guess I misinterpreted your post as a flippant dismissal of the idea of carrying a weapon in order to be prepared for the unexpected.
No worries.:) I re-read my post and I can see where you might have gotten that impression.

Just to expand a little, I live in suburbia. In my personal neighborhood, if there has been a shooting in the years since 1969 when my family moved in, I haven't heard about it. Not to say that we have no crime, but most of it is shoplifting, trafic violations, or domestic issues that tend to not be public.

There were issues where people who worked around kids were prosecuted for sexual misconduct (teachers/coaches/religious/whatever interracting sexually with minors), though again, this is not the sort of thing that an adult carries a gun to defend against.

Thankfully, I live in an area where exercise of common sense will pretty much keep you out of any sort of trouble. There are definitely places where this is not the case. If I lived or ever do live in an area where violent crimes are more common (or if violent crime in my area increases), I would more strongly consider a firearm and take the time to train in its use regularly. Sadly, I wouldn't have to move very far. Several areas with nice homes that are not considered 'bad' have higher incidence of violent crimes.

I have known people who have purchased a gun, keep it locked away, and never go to the range to practice. I hope that they never actually have to use that gun to defend their home. I think that these folks purchased their guns more for peace of mind then for practical defense of their home and family.

Daniel

Cronarct

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Cronarct, I'm not attacking you personally, but I don't like seeing poor advice on such an important subject. We're not talking about recreation, we're talking about tools upon which you might have to stake your life or that of your loved ones.

A few issues with your statements:

1. Taurus's firearms are not known for their reliability and Taurus's track-record for customer service is, to say the least, unimpressive. I know several people who can tell horror stories about trying to rectify problems caused by obvious manufacturing errors, or known issues. While every company turns out a "lemon" now and then, Taurus' record is such that I wouldn't recommend any of their firearms for anything but recreation.

2. A .22 is a poor choice for self-defense. Can it kill someone? Yes, but it's by no means ideal. Furthermore, carrying without a holster is not the best idea. Only one reason for this is that debris (i.e. "pocket crud") can find its way into the action/moving-parts of the firearm and cause it to malfunction.

3. There is no such thing as "stopping power," unless you're talking about "stopping" critical bodily functions by causing significant damage to the central nervous system, or vascular systems...accomplishing these things depends on shot placement, not caliber.

Im giving advice that my family and i have found true for us... maybe we are just lucky and got a good batch of Taurus guns... but all of my family owns and carries a Taurus pistol and have yet to have a single problem with them... i do see where you are coming from with the no holster part for the pocket pistol, we haven't had a problem with it yet though... and for some ppl they feel carrying a .22 is a poor choice, but more ppl are killed in a year with a .22 then any other caliber pistol... really doesn't matter what the size is as long as u are a proficient shot with it... as for when i say "stopping power" i refer to it as how much kick and power the gun has, its just a term i was raised around so maybe you could consider it a slang word for me... its not poor advice really, its just advice i have found true for me and the people around me.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
and for some ppl they feel carrying a .22 is a poor choice, but more ppl are killed in a year with a .22 then any other caliber pistol...

Statistic to back that up?

as for when i say "stopping power" i refer to it as how much kick and power the gun has, its just a term i was raised around so maybe you could consider it a slang word for me...

I was raised around that term as well...it's [unfortunately] a common term. That doesn't mean that it's in any way an accurate designation.

Cronarct

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hmmm good points again, i don't have a statistic atm... but every gun shop owner around here says the .22 is the most common around here for protection and death related crimes. i will be doing some research on the common caliber used to kill with for other places other then my home town. but i will see what i can get for you.

as for the term "stopping power" it is unfortunate but its a common term most ppl understand anyways so its a moot point

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
hmmm good points again, i don't have a statistic atm... but every gun shop owner around here says the .22 is the most common around here for protection and death related crimes. i will be doing some research on the common caliber used to kill with for other places other then my home town. but i will see what i can get for you.

as for the term "stopping power" it is unfortunate but its a common term most ppl understand anyways so its a moot point

Gun shop owners are often poor sources of information for information related to defensive gun usage...just sayin.

Re: the stopping power thing...the problem is that what most people think they understand about "stopping power" is incorrect.

Cronarct

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
lol so what would u recommend saying instead of stopping power to mean kicks harder and puts a bigger hole in someone body?

Latest Discussions