So does size matter in a fight ?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Does size matter? yes, but not always in a good way. This goes for being smaller or bigger. Being big is intimidating but it also means that the person has to carry the weight of the extra muscle.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No. 1: Bjornnson is a strongman and not a fighter. No. 2: it was obvious that heads shits were not allowed so McGregor had this giant target to hit while Bjornnson basically had to crouch/punch at belt level to hit anything.

There's a reason they have weight classes... For equally skilled folks.

OP
crazydiamond

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I thought I saw a moment where he had McGregor's head in his large hands (ala the Viper fight from G.O.T)..... in fact the fight kind of reminded me of the fake fight in Game of Thrones.

But all in fun..it was just two guys playing around sparing....:)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The man that first quoted "The bigger they are the harder they fall" wasn't a fighter.

The bigger they are, the harder they hit. Don't take that harder they fall nonsense too seriously. At least don't count on it.
Nah, the quote is just incomplete. If you're competing in judo against a heavyweight who commits all the way to throwing you, then the full quote should be "the bigger they fall on top of you."

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The man that first quoted "The bigger they are the harder they fall" wasn't a fighter.

The bigger they are, the harder they hit. Don't take that harder they fall nonsense too seriously. At least don't count on it.

But then again there's "what have you got when you have two small balls in your hand? Answer - a man's undivided attention...." :D:D:D

BryceSPQR

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes, size does matter. I was pretty confident when I was younger that it did NOT matter... this is how I found out that I was wrong.

At the time I was 17 (when I got my shodan) I weighed 135... soaking wet. As I went to college and got a job afterwards, I decided to gain some weight to attract girls. Honesty is important right... :p

All the while, I continued training martial arts. Over the course of the next ten years, I put on about 60 pounds of muscle. From lifting and growing up I suppose. I didn't get slow or awkward, I just became stronger. In many ways, I even got faster.

There is a reason that there are size divisions in professional fighting institutions... it is because size matters. Not saying an exceptional fighter couldn't beat someone bigger than him... just saying it makes a difference.

www.northernshotokan.com

LeftchopFTW

White Belt
Reaction score
Crazymonster!

Great thread and great topic.

Does size matter?

Let me tell you it 100% does, I am a twin and my brother is massive! really long! and strong! a lot more veiny too!

I first noticed in the shower I was in awe how can he be my twin? He is so more manly!

As the water dripped down his chest making a way like an arrow I couldnt help but notice his throbbing muscles.

What I am saying is size definitely matters.

Lameman

Green Belt
Reaction score
There is no such thing as an advantage, only opponants you don't know how to fight. Size only matters if you don't know how to fight someone that size. Being 6'5" 300+ pounds. I understand both its strengths and weaknesses. But I started fighting at the age of 4 fighting 12 year olds. Mostly, don't let tthem get in your head, fight intelligently. As Sun Tzu said, allways choose the field of battle. Never play their game, make them play yours. Pick a field that favours your strengths and doesn't allow them to use theirs.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Size can matter both big and small. What makes the difference is how you use your size to your advantage, your skill level, your endurance, your determination, and weapons. So let's say I had to face that big guy, first I would try to run, look for barriers to put between him, next I'm looking for a weapon or using a weapon I have on me, if I have to fight him head on I am not trading blows with him as he could hit harder, I am thinking of tripping him or some how taking his legs out and going for a mount position and going for a choke.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Size matters, so does everything else said on this thread, some good stuff there.

And, of course, there's the old adage about it ain't about the size of the dog in the fight. Or the way it looks.

2uxzmeh.jpg

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Size matters, so does everything else said on this thread, some good stuff there.

And, of course, there's the old adage about it ain't about the size of the dog in the fight. Or the way it looks.

2uxzmeh.jpg
I guess wolves taste like carrots:D

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
More seriously, reach matters. And the weight increases the advantage of reach. Height without reach is not an advantage. That for stand up fight. (source: Fightnomics)

Latest Discussions