So does size matter in a fight ?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course size matters. But it's just one of a thousand things (including luck) that matter, and any one of them can determine the outcome.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting we used Connor mcgregor as the example considering he just went up a weight class and got beat.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting we used Connor mcgregor as the example considering he just went up a weight class and got beat.
By another big *** dude. :)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
He actually went up two weight classes. He is the featherweight champion, (145Lbs) and fought at welterweight (170lbs) skipping lightweight (155lbs). Havign said that, he lost due to his opponents superior skill at BJJ. Diaz has been doing BJJ for 16 years, and runs a BJJ school with his brother. Up until the point he was submitted he was winning, so I don't see how his weight had anything to do with his opponent having superior BJJ skills.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He actually went up two weight classes. He is the featherweight champion, (145Lbs) and fought at welterweight (170lbs) skipping lightweight (155lbs). Havign said that, he lost due to his opponents superior skill at BJJ. Diaz has been doing BJJ for 16 years, and runs a BJJ school with his brother. Up until the point he was submitted he was winning, so I don't see how his weight had anything to do with his opponent having superior BJJ skills.

Up until the point he was submitted he was winning?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Looked that way to me. He didn't like the Stockton slap, though, and got caught coming in.

So that he had gassed himself trying to knock Diaz out didn't factor in. Or that he was chin parrying punches well before he got taken to the ground?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
, so I don't see how his weight had anything to do with his opponent having superior BJJ skills.
didnt have enough butt behind his strikes to make them effective against a much bigger guy

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So that he had gassed himself trying to knock Diaz out didn't factor in. Or that he was chin parrying punches well before he got taken to the ground?
I think all of that. One thing that we know for sure is that it wasn't his weight cut.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Connor was beaten because of Nates size, striking ability which eventually set up the rear naked choke as Connor panicked going for the takedown. Nate is a superior grappler due to fantastic BJJ skills but.... his size and striking led to the demise of McGregor.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That was a good article.

So nice seeing Sports Illustrated, ESPN etc paying attention to MMA. Martial Arts has come a long way in the last twenty years.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Despite what your main squeeze has tried to tell you, size definitely matters. :)

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
as long as we can't overcome physics, size does matter.
when i was cross sparring bigger guys i sometimes got in their front guillotine choke or neck crank just because of the size. i hated it so much i can't put into words. however in self defense at least there is the possibility of dirty fighting like with groin strikes. no matter how big or muscular, there are no muscles. in my specific example this would have been a chance, because i could have reached the groin good from there. in the early ufc this also was legal and there were no weight classes. now there are weight classes and dirty fighting isn't legal anymore. so i'd say in most cases (not all, like always, and there are examples for it in mma) size/weight would win, especially in sports.

Latest Discussions