Slap-Check

R

Rainman

Originally posted by Doc
Pesky dude ain'tcha!

LOL. And don't think I didn't see that s-ck to the leg with your foot going into crossing talon in short 3!

:asian:

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
...That would be like learning to swim on the internet.

As usual (unfortunately), he was right.

Outstanding Doc,

That whole thing was one of the best things I've seen you write here.

Certainly my original teacher emphasized "how" or what to do and delved less into "why" until later on.

Thanks again for posting.

:asian:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
The most important thing in study is to become a "warrior" first because we are a self-defense art. There is a tendancy for many to want to be the "scholar" at the same time and concentrate one "whys." There are significant limitations to that method of study.

As usual another great post Dr. Chapel! I like the analogy you used in this paragraph. Many lessons can be learned here. :asian:

P.S. Dr. Chapel. Do you have an plans on being in columbus again this year??

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
It is a part of our "basics" and is taught to white belts.

Stand in a training horse. Execute a right outward handsword to 3:00.

At the moment the handsword should make contact, slap the front of your right shoulder simultaneously.

END LESSON

Doc,

I heard at one time that the BKF had some sort of slap check drills to increase hand speed. How invloved were you in the creation of these? And if these did infact exist does that mean that the BKF was actively working on some form of slap check way back when? (or was this after your time) Also how long were you actively involved with the BKF, of course from inception, but what was the timeframe?

jb:asian:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
jazkiljok said:
i have read a few old interviews of mr. speakman where he speaks of "doc" chapel as his teacher of material that he wasn't aware of at the time of Mr. Parker's passing.
Yeah, but that was before he decided he knew everything.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
jbkenpo said:
Doc,

I heard at one time that the BKF had some sort of slap check drills to increase hand speed. How invloved were you in the creation of these? And if these did infact exist does that mean that the BKF was actively working on some form of slap check way back when? (or was this after your time) Also how long were you actively involved with the BKF, of course from inception, but what was the timeframe?

jb:asian:

No. outside of my own group. Unfortunately the organization is completely devoid of martial arts structure and an understanding of basic MA skills beyond "sparring." Something that everybody in the "hood" picked up quickly, and unfortunately put belts on for doing it.

I was there for several years but ultimately left like most of the mature educated with jobs.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Doc,
That is very interesting the way you are referring to the BKF. (the hood).

Similar to other forms of bantering, only certain races are privy to (for good reasons in my opinion). I just finished a book By Randall Kennedy. I think all persons should make a very good effort to read it, puts things into a proper perspective.

I believe you are very correct in your thoughts on this subject.
But I feel that you have a limited amout of persons who without the other teaching will only be stumpted and need to get more education (elem. Jr. then High sch. then go to college) that is the norm and with the teaching you suggest, is just over the heads of the the average Karateka.

Rhetoric does not nessecarily go along with a higher learning in Karate or any other form of MA. I believe a level of talk should not exceed the 10th grade.

Any thoughts on that? Regards, Gary

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
GAB said:
Hi Doc,
That is very interesting the way you are referring to the BKF. (the hood).

Similar to other forms of bantering, only certain races are privy to (for good reasons in my opinion). I just finished a book By Randall Kennedy. I think all persons should make a very good effort to read it, puts things into a proper perspective.

I believe you are very correct in your thoughts on this subject.
But I feel that you have a limited amout of persons who without the other teaching will only be stumpted and need to get more education (elem. Jr. then High sch. then go to college) that is the norm and with the teaching you suggest, is just over the heads of the the average Karateka.

Rhetoric does not nessecarily go along with a higher learning in Karate or any other form of MA. I believe a level of talk should not exceed the 10th grade.

Any thoughts on that? Regards, Gary
I can not speak for Doc, but I can relate something he imparted to me that may address what I think you're referring to. "Not everyone can be elite...or even good."

That was Doc's saying, so I cannot take credit for it, even though I like it.

As for the 10th grade communication thing...I could not agree with you more than I do now, which is not at all.

Some martial arts are more complex than others, and will necessarily require a broader understanding of "the nature of things" in order to grasp their implications in specific contexts, as well as applying them in broader contexts. There are simple martial arts (stand, block, punch, kick...in the other guys general direction, and you should be OK) which may be the best alternatives for persons with lesser educations. There are more complex martial arts which require more mental horsepower going in, and which -- by their very nature -- require concordant study of complementary academic disciplines during the course of study.

Kenpo has components of -- and opportunities for -- either extreme, making it a viable home for martial arts afficianadoes of any educational level. However, exploration of advanced kenpo concepts will, at some level, require a higher level of education in a broader range of topics than what is initially offered in the public school systems up to the 10th grade. Anatomy, physiology, kinesiology, psychology and, to some extent, Chinese meridian theory are almost certain prerequisites to exploring -- and truly "getting" -- the advanced level material.

Does that mean you need college-level courses in these topics to pull it off? Hell no. There are absolutely awesome practitioners and teachers out there who dug up the information on their own, reading it in encyclopedias, books, the web, picking the brains of people who did know, etc. If you set your mind and will to the task, there is always a way. However, the groundwork definitely needs to be there for the tower to be erected.

Kindly put, everybody is just where they are. My advice: follow what you can, based on where you're at. When you're ready for the next level, consult with a qualified instructor (i.e., one capable of taking you to the next level) about what you need to understand to train there, and git yer nose in the books to rise to the occasion.

Regards,

Dave

Latest Discussions