Slap-Check

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by jfarnsworth
I was wondering if Doc or Rainman were going to answer my question up here.

Doesn't look like it. Maybe they forgot about ya.

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Are Slap-Checks related to Rebounding?

Rebounding was explained to me as using your own body to speed up your strikes. Instead of having to retract/slow down/stop/start motion in a different dir/speed up/hit, you would just retract at full speed and bounce off of your own body to a different target on your opponent.

1) Can you 'rebound' off your opponent and still stay true to the idea of rebounding, wouldn't your opponent have to be folded in half for you to rebound off one part of their body to another?

2) Is trampolining also a term that is used?

Thanks,
Rob

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Robbo
Rebounding was explained to me as using your own body to speed up your strikes.

you would just retract at full speed and bounce off of your own body..

What do you mean "retract?" Is there a purpose?

1) Can you 'rebound' off your opponent and still stay true to the idea of rebounding,

As I understand it, yes.

wouldn't your opponent have to be folded in half for you to rebound off one part of their body to another?

Only if you think of "rebounding" as having to retrace it's own path.

2) Is trampolining also a term that is used?

Not by me.

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, I think one of the seniors would be able to put it in words better than I would with my limited knowledge of the subject. (I'm only a brown belt)

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What do you mean "retract?" Is there a purpose?

I guess that was a little vague, you would be retracting to execute another strike. For eg. after a palm to the face retract, 'bounce' off of your chest into a downward handsword/palm heel to the lower stomach area causing settling which sets you up for...sorry got carried away again.

Only if you think of "rebounding" as having to retrace it's own path.

Rebounding doesn't have to retrace it's own path but shouldn't the path of action be relatively linear? For the example above the path of action would be a 'V' shape on it's side with the open end facing the opponent. If it didn't follw a linear path it wouldn't be a true rebound off of the target or your own body. It would end up being a glancing type of action which would rob you of power and speed.

Well, I think one of the seniors would be able to put it in words better than I would with my limited knowledge of the subject. (I'm only a brown belt)

You gotta give it a try, this board is pretty friendly and if you word your response politely I'm sure you'll do okay. And if you are wrong then somebody will post with the right answer. There's enough knowledge here that we'll end up with the right answer sooner or later.

Rob

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess that was little vague, you would be retracting to execute another strike. For eg. after a palm to the face retract, 'bounce' off of your chest into a downward handsword/palm heel to the lower stomach area causing settling which sets you up for...sorry got carried away again.

Rob

Nope. There is a misconception you may "rebound" off any part of your body. You may only rebound from certain places without setting yourself up for an injury.

1) have your partner strike you in the shoulder several times to get a feel so that every strike has the same amount of power.

2) strike yourself in the chest or rib area and set a rythym that your partner can pick up on.

3) have your partner "time" his strike to your shoulder just after you strike yourself as close as possible.

You should notice an appreciably greater effect on you when his strike is timed with your own "rebound."

Take note and for your purposes you should never rebound from anywhere but the front of your shoulder without further instruction.

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You should notice an appreciably greater effect on you when his strike is timed with your own "rebound."

So...you would be amplifying the effect of his strike on you by choosing that moment to 'rebound'?

Take note and for your purposes you should never rebound from anywhere but the front of your shoulder without further instruction.

As in... right hand back knuckle, left hand uppercut as right hand retracts to left shoulder and rebounds to...right hand sword?

Just trying to clarify.

Rob

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
So...you would be amplifying the effect of his strike on you by choosing that moment to 'rebound'?

As in... right hand back knuckle, left hand uppercut as right hand retracts to left shoulder and rebounds to...right hand sword?

Just trying to clarify.

Rob

Not as you understand it or in your example, but in a manner of speaking - yes.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo_cory

Please don't charecterize yourself as "just a brown belt." Knowledge knows no rank. It only knows who does, and who doesn't know.

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Please don't charecterize yourself as "just a brown belt." Knowledge knows no rank. It only knows who does, and who doesn't know.

Yeah, just look at me. I've been trying to understand this rebound thing for the last 10 posts and I have still not gotten it.

:(

Rob

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
methinks what you guys are calling Rebounding...I know as Trampolining...

let's see...say you execute a left palm heel to an opponent's right kidney (impact) and you use the force of their body "pushing" your strike back (the trampolining effect) and ride that force back to your own body (impact, with another trampoline effect) to down execute a downward palmheel to their right thigh/quadrecep. now...was that coherent, or am I just babbling?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chronuss
methinks what you guys are calling Rebounding...I know as Trampolining...

let's see...say you execute a left palm heel to an opponent's right kidney (impact) and you use the force of their body "pushing" your strike back (the trampolining effect) and ride that force back to your own body (impact, with another trampoline effect) to down execute a downward palmheel to their right thigh/quadrecep. now...was that coherent, or am I just babbling?

That is not a scenario I would entertain, nor would I use the term "Trampolining."

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, just look at me. I've been trying to understand this rebound thing for the last 10 posts and I have still not gotten it.

:(

Rob

It's not because you're a brown belt, it's because you don't know. What you DO know is this medium does have significant limiations communicating physical interactions.

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It's not because you're a brown belt, it's because you don't know. What you DO know is this medium does have significant limiations communicating physical interactions.

Sometimes these yes and no answers frustrate me. But you are right sometimes it is just not easily explained through this forum.

Another question though :D

If you used rebounding off of your opponent would you not be losing depth of penetration?

Rob

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sometimes these yes and no answers frustrate me. But you are right sometimes it is just not easily explained through this forum.

Another question though :D

If you used rebounding off of your opponent would you not be losing depth of penetration?

Rob

What makes you think Depth of Penetration is so important, assuming you might be correct in some instances?

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What makes you think Depth of Penetration is so important, assuming you might be correct in some instances?

My thinking is that to use the rebounding effect, the strike or impact would have to be fast and powerful. It's hard to use rebounding off of a finger poke to the eye as the strike itself does not need much power to cause damage and the target itself does not have the 'ideal' attributes to rebound off of.

So...if you are using a fast, powerful strike then depth of penetration is a consideration, depending on the desired effect you would want DOP in various degrees. I'm really just asking if you try to 'rebound' are you trading off DOP?

Thanks,
Rob

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
My thinking is that to use the rebounding effect, the strike or impact would have to be fast and powerful. It's hard to use rebounding off of a finger poke to the eye as the strike itself does not need much power to cause damage and the target itself does not have the 'ideal' attributes to rebound off of.

So...if you are using a fast, powerful strike then depth of penetration is a consideration, depending on the desired effect you would want DOP in various degrees. I'm really just asking if you try to 'rebound' are you trading off DOP?

Thanks,
Rob

The answer in all of your instances is no. If I were you I would unbind myself to Depth of Penetration and "get out of the motion box." Otherwise you're resigned to a desputable fact that a "ball can only bounce fast and hard." Is that true?

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The answer in all of your instances is no. If I were you I would unbind myself to Depth of Penetration and "get out of the motion box." Otherwise you're resigned to a desputable fact that a "ball can only bounce fast and hard." Is that true?

No, but now you've gone past my understanding of rebounding and are in a theoretical space that is beyond me....at this time.

Rob

Latest Discussions